Series of strange issues with new build.

Obi_Kwiet

2[H]4U
I just got done putting together a new PC with specs as follows:

E6600
8800GTS
Asus P5nE- SLI
2GB of Corsair DDR800 RAM
150GB Raptor HDD and 320GB 7200RPM HDD.
Corsair 520w PSU

The big issue is that we keep getting these strange lockups. The mouse will stop responding, though it still gets power, and this will cause games to CTD or simply stop responding.

I tried killing the AV, reinstalling DX, and moving the monitor from the surge protector to a different outlet. The problem went away mostly but it still happens every once an awhile during games. I leaning to this be an issue of getting poor power from the wall outlet because it's an old house and we've had to use a three to two prong connector to plug in the surge protector.

The second issue is that Windows has issues shutting down. If we do it from the start menu it will hang at the "Windows is Shutting down screen" If we tap the power button, windows shuts down normally. This is odd because it's just two ways to issue the same command. I can't think what this is.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The temperatures seem very good all around, and I haven't seen any artifacts at all.

I tried killing the AV, reinstalling DX, and moving the monitor from the surge protector to a different outlet. The problem went away mostly but it still happens every once an awhile during games. I leaning to this be an issue of getting poor power from the wall outlet because it's an old house and we've had to use a three to two prong connector to plug in the surge protector.

Heh, is your computer still running? If so, you're lucky. I just finished repairing someone's HP system because of something like this. The whole thing was fried, so it wasn't really a repair, more like a replacement, lol. To be safe, unplug it for now.

Bad ground or reverse polarity will cause major problems with all the components of your system. You NEED a good UPS with Automatic Voltage Regulation, so it can condition the power for you. The UPS should also tell you if there are any faults in the site wiring. I suggest unplugging the system immediately, going to b.buy/c.city/c.usa/fry's/mc or some other place and pickup a UPS with AVR. If you have a Comp USA near you, they have the APC Back-UPS XS900 900VA 540W unit with AVR for $120 - 20% off. Other brands are cheaper, just make sure it can handle the load you'll be plugging in and has AVR.

After you get all that setup, see if it solves any of your issues. If not, there may be permanent damage to your components.

I actually didnt find out about the guy's wiring until after he complained about the replacement system. He said it worked fine for 2 weeks, then started freezing. Now the system won't even boot. So I had to RMA the mobo and pickup a UPS for him. He only has a basic system, so the Belkin 550VA w/AVR sufficed.

Interesting. That's a major problem, because that last time his Dad tried to use a UPS it kept burning out the fuses because the wiring was so old. I found out later that he had a three prong connector in his room, but now I'm not so sure that even that's a good idea.

Can you get UPSs that supply AC current, because I hear that DC current tears up power supplies.

Can you get UPSs that supply AC current, because I hear that DC current tears up power supplies.

Somewhere you got some bad info, A UPS has a battery in it and when the AC power fails the battery is used to power circuity that creates AC current for your computer.

If there is anyway a ground rod could be installed it would really help. Low cost (well before copper went sky high). The entire system ground is "floating" and in spite of a BS in electronics i cant even fathom what that is doing to high speed signals in motherboard traces or ttl levels nothing good I can assure you of that. Plus if the power supply ever shorted to the case someone could get the crap shocked out of them. So ground rod with wire run in a window or iron or copper water pipe (they make a clamp thing you can attach a wire to). Google ground rod or grounding and you should find all kinds of stuff. It may be something else completely with the computer causing the mouse freeze but until you get a ground on that system its hard to tell wth the real issue is. Hell if its an old farm house and on the first floor, drill a hole in the floor next to the outlet but away from wall the just a bit so you will not hit a floor joist or electrical wires and drive a 8FT ground rod right down from there :eek: , just make sure when you drop it in the hole in the floor it smoothly goes down to the ground/earth under the house and does not hit a pipe or anything. you can tilt it some to miss if you were to be so unlucky. the hole in the floor should be just a tad larger then the ground rod, typically 1/2 or 5/8 inch. Fill any gap with caulk or that foam insulation stuff clamp on some copper wire to the rod and run it to the little metal tab of the 2 to 3 prong adapter and solder it on and you will be good to go. ( or replace the outlet with one with grounding but be sure you get the correct fuse and make absolutely sure the power is off. the wire from the ground rod can go thru a hole or slot in the outlet cover plate so it can be attached to the outlets ground screw.

Back