Server 2003 Shared Drive Password Prompt

scotlandrocks

Weaksauce
Ok I have just installed Server 2003, done all the updates created a backup admin user etc. The purpose of the machine is to host my workgroups shared drive. I've created the shared drive but keep getting prompted for password for accessing the shared folder even when share permission is "everyone" with full control.

Any help much appreciated.

Also all machines accessing the share are xp pro with the administrator passwords all the same as the server admin password. And all have the main accounts the same name and password as the server secondary admin. If that makes sense.

If you aren't worried about security, which it doesn't seem that you are, you can enable the guest account and add that to the share. That will take care of the username/password (or lack thereof) issue.

scotlandrocks said:
Ok I have just installed Server 2003, done all the updates created a backup admin user etc. The purpose of the machine is to host my workgroups shared drive. I've created the shared drive but keep getting prompted for password for accessing the shared folder even when share permission is "everyone" with full control.

Any help much appreciated.

Also all machines accessing the share are xp pro with the administrator passwords all the same as the server admin password. And all have the main accounts the same name and password as the server secondary admin. If that makes sense.

Well if i understand right you have XP Pro users setup the same as the users on the Server so when doing a share and selecting the everyone group i don't see why it wouldn't work. just try adding the administrator to the share and add the main accounts to the share and see if that fixes it.

Check the security tab on the share. Full control on the everyone permission on the share tab is recommended, then you lock down with NTFS permissions, the security tab.

ktwebb said:
Check the security tab on the share. Full control on the everyone permission on the share tab is recommended, then you lock down with NTFS permissions, the security tab.

Listen to this. (Check your NTFS permissions)

it doesnt appear to be a DC, just holding a workgroup share, i have the same setup, and i just have it remember password, but thats with a small group, a big group would be irrirtating, i have both tabs set for everyone full control, still pass prompt.

never reccommenede but you can also modify the local policy on the server so that the Everyone group include ananomous users. By default Everyone only incluides authiticated users.

Back