server 2k3 questions

sxesynesthesia

Limp Gawd
I just installed server 2k3 enterprise on a 500mhz gateway im going to use for a file server on the network. I want each user on the network to be able to login and have a directory on the server. I have no idea how to configure this . :(

now i have this on all the computers on the network
I need to be able to change it to the domain name of the server correct?

hardforumwtf.jpg

I think you want to go into manage server and turn on domain controller and active directory if thats what your planing on doing.

Its in start->admin tools. Or its that window that pops up that most ppl click dont show again.

I havent messed with either other then know where to turn them on at. Hope that starts you off.

i know it sounds stupid, but u did the AD install and set it up as a domain controller right? i think if u want users loggin in and having their own dir, u need to set that up...

currently i have win2k3 standard on a p3 733 running file services, routing, AD, dhcp, dns, bulletproof ftp, torrents, mirc, etc etc. but i dont have my users login to the domain, its just my house, and me mom n dad use our own pc's that i built. they dont need access to my server, just me....but id like to hear some input from others in implementing this as well

P3N1X0R said:
i know it sounds stupid, but u did the AD install and set it up as a domain controller right? i think if u want users loggin in and having their own dir, u need to set that up...

currently i have win2k3 standard on a p3 733 running file services, routing, AD, dhcp, dns, bulletproof ftp, torrents, mirc, etc etc. but i dont have my users login to the domain, its just my house, and me mom n dad use our own pc's that i built. they dont need access to my server, just me....but id like to hear some input from others in implementing this as well
yeah i have the filseserver role and active directory(domain controler) set up.

I just don't know how to configure the other computer to be able to log into it.

heres whats set up on the server
seelook.JPG

goto properties of my computer, then goto computer name, then cliick on change, then select domain type in the domain name say ok or apply or whatever, itll ask for username and password to join domain and just put in a user/pass u setup on the domain...

but if i recall u said the option to join a domain was greyed out right? u using xp pro and not homew, cuz i think home wont let ui join a domain...

BTW dont use that network setup to join the domain and whatnot just do like i said to

P3N1X0R said:
goto properties of my computer, then goto computer name, then cliick on change, then select domain type in the domain name say ok or apply or whatever, itll ask for username and password to join domain and just put in a user/pass u setup on the domain...

but if i recall u said the option to join a domain was greyed out right? u using xp pro and not homew, cuz i think home wont let ui join a domain...

BTW dont use that network setup to join the domain and whatnot just do like i said to
im on xp pro sp2, all of the computers on the network are excpet the server. It's greyed out on all of them. It hasnt always been greyed out, mustve just happened recently.

what do you mean by "log in", accessing shared files, or joining a domain, and why would you have W2k3 Ent Edition for just file sharing(legit or cracked trial?...), overkill IMO, it shows the domain greyed out cuz u have it in a workgroup, if you want to use a domain you need to run the AD setup wiz, and get a working dns name if i remember correctly, iyt will ask servers name, say server1 for example, then it wants a domain, like example.com, then you would have "server1.example.com",if you dont know how to set up dns correctly, use xp and save yourself a lot of aggrevation, if you only want some network storage why on earth go thru setting up W2K3 for 1 user.....

shaft said:
what do you mean by "log in", accessing shared files, or joining a domain, and why would you have W2k3 Ent Edition for just file sharing(legit or cracked trial?...), overkill IMO, it shows the domain greyed out cuz u have it in a workgroup, if you want to use a domain you need to run the AD setup wiz, and get a working dns name if i remember correctly, iyt will ask servers name, say server1 for example, then it wants a domain, like example.com, then you would have "server1.example.com",if you dont know how to set up dns correctly, use xp and save yourself a lot of aggrevation, if you only want some network storage why on earth go thru setting up W2K3 for 1 user.....
theres about 5 computers, I just want everytone to have their own directory cause the fuck up their computers every few weeks and i have to reformat id like it so their data is on the server.
and how owuld i join the domain from one of the comps? its greyed out still.

If your logging into the Pc's with Admin rights then check the network services. I'll bet one or more is not in the running state.

oakfan52 said:
If your logging into the Pc's with Admin rights then check the network services. I'll bet one or more is not in the running state.
it's really weird just the other day i set the work group and the domain area wasnt greyed....

make sure you set it up with DNS first. AD wont work unless you have DNS already going before hand.

you might have to demote and start over again. It has to be done in that order.

R8DERHED5150 said:
make sure you set it up with DNS first. AD wont work unless you have DNS already going before hand.

you might have to demote and start over again. It has to be done in that order.
DNS is also set up, as said in post above

start > run > dcpromo.exe

By default, if you have it setup with AD, then it requires it be set to a domain name and not in a workgroup (which is what your shows). If you don't see the three AD administrative links under Admin Tools (AD users and computers, AD domains and trusts, AD sites and services) then its not done setting up.

sxesynesthesia said:
now i have this on all the computers on the network
I need to be able to change it to the domain name of the server correct?
You need XP Pro to join a domain, do you have home?

Okay,

It looks like you have set up DNS and run DCPROMO on the server, so that's out.
It looks like you have XP Pro on each workstation. So that's not the problem.

The thing is, your workstations having the grayed out radio button for "domain" should have nothing to do with how well you set up the server. That button should be available even if you didn't have any server at all (though, of course, trying to join a non-existent domain won't work!). So, all these people who are telling you that it's a flaw with your server setup are sorta barking up the wrong tree.

So, this may sound stupid, but are you logging in as an administrative account? Even if you are, trying logging in as the Administrator account. Perhaps there has been a local policy set to disallow this that will not affect the original administrator account.

Have you changed any local security policies on these workstations in order to try to stop their users from mangling them?

Finally, for no particular reason, the next thing I would try would be to change the name of the computer and see if remains grayed out afterwards.

That's definitely odd. Never seen that before, and I've managed a relatively large Windows 2003 network for years.

Good Luck!

H

Something else just occured to me. . . you might need "client for Microsoft networks" to be installed under the properties of your network adapter.

Back