Server Advice Requested

hmchk

Weaksauce
Hello everyone,

I Believe this may be my first new post. I have been lurking quite happily for a long while and intended to for a while longer while I soaked up the wisdom here. I looked long and hard for a knowledgeable forum before finding this one and have been very happy since.

I have a dilemma though... My business server (online game I administer) was compromised and we have decided to use this at least partially as an excuse to move away from our crappy hosting company (dirt cheap though) to a new one with an upgraded server.

I normally wouldn't ask this but if anyone might be able to give me some advice on what I might need and thoughts about renting vs co-locating servers I would be very appreciative. The following is a quote I received from a company at fastservers.net. I was VERY impressed by the sales/tech lady who chatted with me for more than an hour trying to set me up with an offering. I know this is mad expensive in some ways but... thats why I'm coming to all you. (for recommendations).

The purpose is to host a website which is mostly apache, a mysql database and a php front end. text based rpg type game... waay geeky. Our current server is a Opteron 1212 with a WDC WD1600JS-00S (7200 RPM drive). Obviously we are running into bottle necking in the hard drive.

For a possible upgrade I found the below:
FastServers.Net Model Velocity Enterprise DX $383.00
Dell Model Dell PowerEdge 2850
Processor(s) DUAL XEON, 3.0 GHZ
Memory 4GB of RAM
Hard Drive(s) 4X73 GB SCSI, RAID 10
Management Level DEFCON 3 $25.00
Monitoring 4PORTS
OS Patches & Upgrades Automatic
Advanced Support Hours 1 Hr per month
Priority or Standard Support Priority
Admin/Root Access to Server Yes
Allocated Bandwidth 1500 GB PER MONTH
Network Connection Speed 100Mbps
IP Addresses 5

Total Monthly $408.00

I know this is limited information... And I know I'm paying more than I probably need to but just curious what are your thoughts. I am concerned more primarily with identifying what hardware I should be using more than the price in all honesty. Things like "your CPU will be your bottleneck" or "you should double your RAM".

I know this is a rough question and I apologize for not framing it more nicely. I am on a deadline to shift over my data to a new server so I appreciate any advice anyone is willing to give.

P.S. Promise to have much more etiquette in my next post.

Thanks again,
Garrett

Last edited:
Waaaay too expensive. What they're wanting is complete ripoff. You're getting a system that will have less processing power than that single Opteron. Drives also aren't all that fast either (relative to modern ones). It would be far more cost effective for you to build yourself a server and put it in colocation instead. Ockie can probably give you a good deal on that.

BEEP BEEP

Lets back the truck up here for a second

A) Way to Expensive for that. My HTPC which uses 40w probably has more power than that , and it only cost 400 to build.
To put this ripoff in perspective, I will use serverbeach( I am in no way endorsing them, they just come up in a google search for colos) They have a Dual Quad core Xeon box for less than you quoted.
What you quoted they charge 189/mo
Again not endorsing them at all, but look elsewhere.

B) I personally dont like to rent servers because I feel like im getting ripped off/ or not getting exactly what i wannt/need. Personally I would Colo.

If your going to Colo, I would find a place that is relatively close, in case you NEED to go there for some reason.

Bottom Line... DONT DO IT
find something else.

I would talk to Ockie as he can probably hook it up with what you need for a good price.

Back