Setting up a fairly basic wired network - need some advice

PoweredBySoy

2[H]4U
Hi, friends. I'm a networking dunce, so I was hoping you could point me in the right direction.

Once I finish remodeling our basement, our home network will consist of the following: 2 PC's on our main-floor office, and then 2 video game consoles in the basement. Now, I would also like the ability to add to that as well - especially the basement, since these days even HDTV's are coming with ethernet ports. And since the basement is currently down to the studs, now's the time to wire it up.

So my questions

1) I was thinking of getting an 8-port router, and then just sending the wires in whichever direction they'd be needed. But then I started reading about switches. Could I just get a 4-port router for the upstairs office (where the cable comes in), then run a single wire to the basement to a 4-port switch? That would give me plenty of ports in both locations, and only require me to fish a single wire through the walls.

2) Should I be looking into a gigabit router? Will I notice any speed difference while using Comcast cable? (would love to get FIOS someday though)

3) If I do go gigabit, do I need to use CAT6 cable? Even if I don't go gigabit at this time, should I wire CAT6 into the baseement anyways - just to be a little more futureproof? I assume CAT6 is completely compatible with CAT5 devices.

Thanks for any advice.

1) Get a regular router to hook up to a switch. Run all your cables to the switch, not the router.
2) The Gigabit portion of the router/switch will only affect your internal network's transfer speeds; it will not boost your internet connection, unfortunately.
3) Everyone will suggest ponying up for CAT6 cabling for "future-proofing."

1. Yes.
2. A router with a built-in gigabit switch won't give you faster Internet speeds, but the gigabit switch will make file transfers across your network a bit faster (considering all devices and all cabling is gigabit-compatible).
3. cat5e is perfectly fine for gigabit. cat6 will future-proof you if you plan on upgrading to 10gbit in the future.

Okay, so gigabit is only for transfers amongst the network, and has nothing to do with download speeds, etc.... I see. Well in that case it's not that important for me then. Although I still am considering that specific router just for all the rave reviews it's gotten on Newegg.

Thank you, sirs. Just wanted to get some confirmation before I start sheetrocking over stuff. =/

* Use CAT6...not much more expensive and it's just the way to go these days. CAT5e will work fine, but why not plonk down a few more for the new standard.

* One run downstairs will work. But if it's a pain to fish the wire through the walls. Then run 2. If one wire is damaged one day by some random picture being hung on the wall or something, you have a spare. Wire is cheap, run extra.

* Leave slack. Either push it in the wall, coil it at the end, or something. Slack is best practice.

* Terminate both sides into a keystone jack. Again, just best practice. You could crimp the ends into a CAT5 connector, but I don't like to do this for permanent installs. They make nice drywall plates with wings on the sides so you don't have to secure to a stud. As long as you have a rotozip, reciprocating saw, or something you can cut a nice hole, use keystones, and a nice faceplate on both sides.

* When I'm doing home media runs, I normally drop in 2 runs of COAX with it. Maybe for IR distibution in the future. Maybe for a DVR cable box. Maybe for an XM satellite receiver on the roof. Lots of uses for COAX. Make sure you use RG6 quad shield. That's the good stuff.

* Stick to a standard. I do all my wiring T568A.

* Crimp nicely. No more than .5" untwisted at each end. It'll work if you do it longer, but it may hurt your speeds. All depends on how much RF interference is floating around your house and on your lines.

I wonder how many people use t568a and how many people use t568b.... I use the "b" standard for everything I do.
I use b for everything as well. From my experience b is used most, but nothing wrong with using a if you're consistent.

Back