Setting up a VM.

Read the second half of This Guide.
Thats what I used to get my samba shares working.
Theres also This Thread. that might help.

Inside the Linux OS, what does nmblookup WORKGROUP show ?
Where WORKGROUP is the name of your local workgroup that was set in the smb.conf file.
You should be able to see all the addresses of your local computers.

Luck .......... :D

AHHH

I didn't put the correct value under server string. I had put the local boxen name and not the VM boxen name.

I'll give this another try

Yeah, even under VM, it's considered like a distinct box so if you have 2-3 with the same name, you have a problem ;)

I've got two VMs up and running. It has changed my PPD on this box from 4100-4200PPD to 4400PPD and my machine is much more stable. Plus, I can turn off the automatic backups which were taking up a bit of HDD space.

I downloaded and installed SMP Seesaw Pro. I can not however see any of the VMWare instances. I can see the two instances of vmware-vmx.eve via Task Manager, but don't see them in SMP Seesaw Pro. I checked the website for the app and it doesn't look like it supports Vista.

There doesn't seem to be a configuration file or anything that I can change to make it visible.

Any thoughts?

Moving the VM between boxen or doing multiple installs on one boxen.

Make a copy of the .vmx & .vmdk file and move them to their new home.
Now rename the .vmdk file from Boxen1.vmdk to Boxen2.vmdk
Open the .vmx with windoze notepad and edit two lines.
scsi0:0.fileName = "Boxen1.vmdk" to scsi0:0.fileName = "Boxen2.vmdk"
displayName = "Boxen 1" to displayName = "Boxen 2"
Save and exit.

Now start VMServer.
Open Existing VM and point it at your new .vdx file
Create new disk image
Start the VM..
I'm having problems cloning a virtual disk. First, I just want to be clear in the instructions above that the .vdx file is actually a .vmx file being referred to because I don't have a .vdx file anywhere on my system. Second, whenever I attempt to start the cloned VM I always receive a cannot find the virtual disk "*.vmdk" Please verify the path is valid and try again message even after assigning a new unique identifier. I'm using VMware Server 1.5. If anyone has the vaguest idea what is wrong let me know. Also, doesn't VMware have its own Cloning Wizard?

I'm having problems cloning a virtual disk. First, I just want to be clear in the instructions above that the .vdx file is actually a .vmx file being referred to because I don't have a .vdx file anywhere on my system. Second, whenever I attempt to start the cloned VM I always receive a cannot find the virtual disk "*.vmdk" Please verify the path is valid and try again message even after assigning a new unique identifier. I'm using VMware Server 1.5. If anyone has the vaguest idea what is wrong let me know. Also, doesn't VMware have its own Cloning Wizard?

Sorry, it should point to the .vmx file you altered.

The only thing I can say is to make sure that the new .vmdk file name in the .vmx file matches the new .vmdk's name of the .vmdk file you copied.
I copy the .vmdk file to a new folder inside the virtual machine folder and rename it.
I then copy copy the .vmx file into the same folder and edit it to point at the new .vmdk file and give it a new display name.
I then go "Open an existing VM" and point it at the edited .vmx file.
Then once the new VM is open, I just need to edit the new VM's samba name to get it to work.

I never tried the Cloning Wizard so I dont know how well it works.

Luck ................... :D

I tried to set up VM server (1.07) on a vista box today but i get a message when I try to enter the serial number that says:

" The serial number entered did not match any licenses"

Has any body seen this?
And how do I fix it?
I have tried to enter the serial number both places, during the install and after opening the console. Same message both times.

I tried to set up VM server (1.07) on a vista box today but i get a message when I try to enter the serial number that says:

" The serial number entered did not match any licenses"

Has any body seen this?
And how do I fix it?
I have tried to enter the serial number both places, during the install and after opening the console. Same message both times.

I got that error once, it turned out I had requested Linux licenses by accident and was trying to use them with the Windows installer. Like oraldlight mentioned, you should be able to request new ones that work fine.

so how does VirtualBox stack up to VMWare?

I'm just starting to play with VM's in general and having been using VirtualBox to play with different distros and ended up installing VB on a single core Intel 3ghz w/ 2GB ram and on an AMD64 +4000 single core w/ 2GB of mem running PCLinux on the AMD and Puppy on the other with 2 F@H clients running on both (one in windoze and the other in the VM) and was surprised that the systems were still very usable for mundane tasks like typing , surfing ..etc ..

I have Ubuntu running in a VM on my main rig

Thanks for the right up on installing VMWare ..just wondering how the 2 proggies compare :cool:

[F]old|[H]ard

I couldn't get VT working on virtualbox at all. Wouldn't work for me on AMD, wouldn't work for me on Intel. I know both CPUs support VT, since they are both running 64bit guests on 32bit XP.

Back