Setting up a Wireless Network for the First Time--Questions

DanMattia

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I'll soon be buying a wireless router due to my recent purchase of a MacBook. My cable modem and current wired router are located in the basement of my home, where the wireless router will also reside.

The router I'm looking at is the LINKSYS WRT54GL. I only have a budget of $70 or so, and I want a quality router that'll allow me to use the MacBook with good connectivity across the house and, ideally, outside in the yard (though this isn't very important). I also want to secure the connection using 128bit WEP encoding, and don't know how easy/difficult it is to do. It's also crucial that the router includes 4 wired ports, for both my PCs, the 360, and one other port for misc. uses.

Any help is appreciated, and I apologise for my ignorance.

You can get some anecdotal evidence such as "I used these three wireless routers and Router X had better coverage" but any advice that says any wireless device will give you complete coverage can be disregarded. Test and see. That's the only way you'll know if your cell coverage will cover the entire house. Pre-N and/or MIMO wireless routers are your best bet. The WRT Linksys series may or may not be enough. Depends solely on your environment and how/where you setup the AP.

WEP is basically worthless. It will keep honest people out. Wireless newbs, and those that simpley have no desire to crack it. If someone does want to get in and has the geographic opportunity to do it (like a neighbor or whatever) AND has the tools and knowledge to use them, can crack WEP literally in minutes. WPA is the only choice if you want to encrypt. WPA2 preferably.

ktwebb said:
You can get some anecdotal evidence such as "I used these three wireless routers and Router X had better coverage" but any advice that says any wireless device will give you complete coverage can be disregarded. Test and see. That's the only way you'll know if your cell coverage will cover the entire house. Pre-N and/or MIMO wireless routers are your best bet. The WRT Linksys series may or may not be enough. Depends solely on your environment and how/where you setup the AP.

Well, unfortunately, I don't have the money to test out a great deal of routers. The greatest range I'd be using the wireless in is about 30-50 feet, on a floor above the wireless router. I just wanted a generalization about good distance for the standard wireless router.

Thanks for the info and recommendation, though. It's much appreciated!

ktwebb said:
WEP is basically worthless. It will keep honest people out. Wireless newbs, and those that simpley have no desire to crack it. If someone does want to get in and has the geographic opportunity to do it (like a neighbor or whatever) AND has the tools and knowledge to use them, can crack WEP literally in minutes. WPA is the only choice if you want to encrypt. WPA2 preferably.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I didn't remember WPA. Is WPA easy to set up?

What I'm worried about is, mostly, my neighbours stealing my connection. Though it's immature, I really hate my neighbours and I have a bad temper, so if I see they're stealing my internet, I'll end up doing something stupid. I also don't want any vulnerabilites, because vulnerabilities now mean worries later.

WPA is no harder than WEP really. Just have latest firmware/drivers for the hardware and SP2 on the XP box.

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting you go out and purchase multiple AP's. Perhaps you have a friend that has some gear that would give you a baseline. Preferably hardware that is standard .11g. Non MIMO/Pre-N If that gives you reasonable coverage you can be reasonably assured any MIMO capable AP will fill in some or all of the dead spots, if they exist.

DanMattia said:
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I didn't remember WPA. Is WPA easy to set up?.

WPA is actually easier to setup than WEP. And WPA is newer, more secure. And...WPA actually has less CPU overhead..so performance is better.

Although..you mentioned a MAC...I don't know if your MAC would support it. I imagine it would. "Most" B adapters do not support WPA...but pretty much all G will.

Other tips..make sure you change the default SSID to something unique..and make sure you change the Admin password on your router.

I wouldn't worry much about range, you either will have it, or you won't. The choice of router will make little difference, and you can always get an extension antenna, or jack up the transmit power if you go with the WRT and use 3rd party firmware.

sandmanx said:
I wouldn't worry much about range, you either will have it, or you won't. The choice of router will make little difference, and you can always get an extension antenna, or jack up the transmit power if you go with the WRT and use 3rd party firmware.

Alright, thanks a lot! Much appreciated.

YeOldeStonecat said:
WPA is actually easier to setup than WEP. And WPA is newer, more secure. And...WPA actually has less CPU overhead..so performance is better.

Although..you mentioned a MAC...I don't know if your MAC would support it. I imagine it would. "Most" B adapters do not support WPA...but pretty much all G will.

Other tips..make sure you change the default SSID to something unique..and make sure you change the Admin password on your router.

Alright, thanks for the help and tips. I'll have to look into the MacBook's compatibility with WPA.

sandmanx said:
I wouldn't worry much about range, you either will have it, or you won't. The choice of router will make little difference

Complete bunk. Utter.

It can make a huge difference. Even if your clients are not MIMO compliant a MIMO or Pre-N AP will definitely make a difference. Sometimes the difference is huge. A base generic (non popular budget variety) will typically have significantly less coverage than say, a BuffaloTech AP.

ktwebb said:
Complete bunk. Utter.

It can make a huge difference. Even if your clients are not MIMO compliant a MIMO or Pre-N AP will definitely make a difference. Sometimes the difference is huge. A base generic (non popular budget variety) will typically have significantly less coverage than say, a BuffaloTech AP.

Well, I'm reading the reviews on Newegg for the router I linked to, and one review said it works about 30 feet away. Still reading the rest.

ktwebb said:
Complete bunk. Utter.

I agree with ktwebb. This comes from lots of experience with setting up/deploying/upgrading several different brands/models of routers....in many different client environments.

Well, I'm reading the reviews on Newegg for the router I linked to, and one review said it works about 30 feet away

See my first reply post in regards to that. If you see repeated and consitent complaints about poor coverage then that's something to pay attention to. If you see a smattering of good/poor then it's a bit harder to decipher. Just keep in mind these posters your reading are posting their experiences. WHich means their houses, with their obstructions. Their properties with possible other AP's in the same area (apt's etc). If they hate it then I'd probably steer clear. If they all love, chances are it's a pretty good AP. And so on and so forth. But nothing is for certain. If you have refrigerator and 100 gallon fish tank between your laptop with a wireless card and the AP, then it doesn't matter if you could fry an egg with the microwaves coming out of either device. They stop cold when they hit the obstructions. Reviews are helpful though. Not saying not to take them into account. Just have to take some of them with a grain of salt.

ktwebb said:
See my first reply post in regards to that...

Yeah, read through all of them and they were, 90% of the time, consistant. Good range, good security, etc. I do know to take obstructions into consideration as well, but two reviews I remember in particular stated that the range went through 3 floors with relatively good connectivity, and also went outside a decent distance. I think this router will be right for me, so I'm probably going to purchase it tomorrow.

Back