Setting up my new HD system - Advice?

DarkSideA8

Gawd
Due to the recent self-immolation of my old CRT, I've jumped in feet first into the realm of HDTV and 5.1 Surround.

I am having the satellite receiver installed on Friday. I need advice on how to set up the various components to get the best results.

Components:

Samsung 46" DLP HDTV
Onkyo 5.1 Surround Sound reciever/home theater. (link:http://www.onkyousa.com/zoom.cfm?class=Receiver&m=TX-SR304#)
Samsung DVD/VHS combo
DirectTV Satellite Reciever
DirectTV DVR

The fundamental question is, do I feed everything into the Onkyo reciever first, and then to the TV?

Also, what cables should I use?

TIA

Get yourself a cheap logitech harmony remote. With all that stuff, it'll be the best thing you will ever buy. Then hook it up however you feel, since it wont matter with the harmony :)

Thanks - but not worried about controlling the system -

I'm concerned what order to hook up the cables to get the best home theater performance.

Ideally, you'd want to use DVI or HDMI straight into the TV since that receiver can't do DVI/HDMI switching. So plug the video portions straight into the TV. For the audio connection, use a digital SPDIF connection (coax or toslink) into the Onkyo. I think that's it.

If you don't have that, you can just use component cables into the Onkyo since it looks like it has component switching capabilities.

Back