setting up xbox 360 through the second ethernet port on my mobo help?

epblash

n00b
I bought a 360 recently and I'm trying to set it up on my wired network. Right now my computer and my 360 are down in the basement, with my computer connected to the router upstairs by a 50 foot Ethernet cable. My computer has a 680i SLI chipset mobo so it has 2 Ethernet ports on it - one port is occupied by a cat6 cable linked up to the DGL-4300 router upstairs, the other is empty.

What I want to do is take the provided Ethernet cable, plug one end into the 2nd Ethernet port, and the other end into the Xbox 360 so that my connection to the internet will pass through the computer (at least while its on) to the Xbox 360 for Xbox Live. I tried just plugging it in and seeing what happened, didn't work; tried re-setting up the home network so that the wizard would recognize that other computers (in other words, my Xbox) would connect through my computer to the internet, didn't work. All I get is the Xbox telling me that it recognizes that it's on a wired connection but can't get an IP, and my computer is telling me that the Xbox is a "shared connection computer" or something like that but that it can't get access to the internet from it (obviously), or it just says that it has limited or no connectivity to the 360.

My comp's running XP Pro and the router is on default settings except for some port forwarding options and WPA2 enabled.

So if someone could post some steps to solve what I'm sure is a pretty simple problem you have my thanks :)

alright thanks man solved my problem... now I just gotta figure out why voice chat doesn't work :p

getting a small switch to connect both your xbox & pc would be a better idea in the long run. That way you dont need your pc on, and dont have to configure networking on the pc to work properly.

On windows i think theres a way to bridge the network connections so you dont need to use ICS. Im not sure on the specifics though.

Back