severe rubber banding and lag in BF4...help

KnishofDeath

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey y'all,

So I am having major issues trying to play BF4 on my new gaming pc (specs in sig). The high latency warning pops up on the right of the screen and I have terrible rubber banding that makes it unplayable. I am also getting far lower frame rates, consistently 60fps, (according to the on screen display "perfoverlay.drawfps 1") than I would expect given my hardware ,

What could be going on? I don't have this issue in any other games. I disabled Origin in-game. I have verizon fios and a speed test check is excellent:

5678985314.png

1. Gysync, Vysnc, or a frame rate cap is enabled keeping yout FPS at 60.

2. You used Geforce Experiance to optimize the game. Delete the .ini configuration file, uninstall GFE, and try again.

Those are the most obvious, but there are other steps to take if needed.

1. This is definitely my first experience with G-Sync, but I thought it capped FPS with the monitors refresh rate? My monitor is set at 165hz and G-Sync is enabled in the Nvidia control panel. V-Sync is off in the control panel and in-game.

2. I didn't use the GeForce game optimization feature. But I uninstalled and reinstalled the Nvidia drivers and software just in case. I'm still having the issue.

It's looking like this is a network issue. Tried reinstalling the adapter drivers to no avail. I really hate network issues, they seem overly difficult to diagnose and solve.

maybe Gigabyte or EVGA has some dumb Network prioritizing program, that you installed?
for examble ASUS Gamefirst III is known to rubberband the crap out of Overwatch

Is it happening on all servers or just one? You are using wired ethernet and not wifi I assume?

Try pinging an IP in the city hosting the BF4 servers you are trying to play on with ping -t and see if there are any spikes.

Hey y'all,

So I am having major issues trying to play BF4 on my new gaming pc (specs in sig). The high latency warning pops up on the right of the screen and I have terrible rubber banding that makes it unplayable. I am also getting far lower frame rates, consistently 60fps, (according to the on screen display "perfoverlay.drawfps 1") than I would expect given my hardware ,

What could be going on? I don't have this issue in any other games. I disabled Origin in-game. I have verizon fios and a speed test check is excellent:

5678985314.png
First and foremost, it has absolutely ZERO to do with your bandwidth unless your net speed is so low it doesn't have the bandwidth capable of sending the data in the first place. You're talking 1-2Mb connection at the bare minimum, which technically doesn't even qualify as a broadband connection.

You have to realize, there are roughly 10-20 hops between you and that game server. Any one of them could be the problem. It could be your PC, it could be your modem/router, it could be that giant green box in the grass near the street corner that belongs to your ISP, it could be your ISP's network, it could be any of the half dozen routers between your ISP and the game server, it could even be the game server. This applies not only to one video game, but all video games or any internet traffic for that matter.

The best way to find out where the problem is occurring is by doing a tracert or pathping via the windows command line. You will want to find out the ip address of any particular server you are connecting to first. These two commands figure out your problem real quick because they will ping every connection point between you and your destination and tell you the latency and if packets get dropped.

Using these methods will often times narrow things down. I have found the problem on my ISP's end 3-4 hops down the line right before they connected to another ISP or Tier1 backbone service such as Level3 Communications, NTT, or Cogent. And of course, firing up a different game or a website will mean that my ISP had to route my traffic in a different direction altogether, thus it was very difficult to reproduce. Sometimes the issue is in reverse on the server side...no lag on the server for most players, but leaving the server then 3-4 hops on its way back to you and there is a problem.

Something else you may try is changing the region you are connecting to in-game. If you are on the east coast USA and getting lag to servers on the east coast, then connect to a central USA or western USA server. Connecting from one coast to another will add very little latency (10-20ms) at most unless there are problems going on. Many times I see lag in central USA servers but not elsewhere in the country. The main reason for that is that a shit ton of server providers are based in Chicago, and many of the internet backbone providers have huge hubs in Chicago too. If there's a DDOS attack going on trying to attack Level3 or one of it's customer's in Chicago, it's going to affect everything.

Now if you are in another part of the world, the info I gave still applies. It will just be with different companies and different regions.

Last edited:
In addition to what the Capt said... You MAY be able to change your dns server in Windows or your router to something different and clear up the issue. Been a while since I had to mess with that but it used to be an issue for Original Team Fortress and Unreal on DSL days long ago.

In addition to what the Capt said... You MAY be able to change your dns server in Windows or your router to something different and clear up the issue. Been a while since I had to mess with that but it used to be an issue for Original Team Fortress and Unreal on DSL days long ago.
That too can help in some situations, just like you said.:cool: It's definitely not a cure all fix.

DNS is simply looking up the IP address based on a name. For the game server itself, that information is being given to the game and the game itself is connecting to its own hosting service to provide you the info. In that case you aren't really needing your DNS to do anything for you since most of that stuff is being handled on their end. If your DNS was acting up, you likely couldn't launch the game at all. However, I can see where it might help with the various other servers that you are connecting too. In the case of BF4, you are not only connecting to the game server, but EA's systems that do the game stats and your in-game unlocks and loadouts. In the early days of BF4, I remember quite clearly some days I would not have any of my unlocks and rank when other players on the server did which meant it wasn't a game server setting but rather a disconnect to EA's other systems.

I also remember having to mess with Punkbuster on my BF3 install one day after not playing for a few months. Old version that didn't get patched with the game when it updated. Pretty obscure crap I thought but it fixed my issue after hunting down the file set to install.

Back