SFF And Linux

faetless

n00b
Have not seen much talk about sff and linux before so I figured i'd make a post on what worked and what didn't. was reviewing some of the reviews on newegg and alot of people seemed to say they where having problems with various stuff even on their nvidia chipsets. The 6150 seemed to be the best but I had problems with the layouts.

Anyway, I recently got a DFI RS482. It's only real problem is no sata drivers. I cannot boot off a sata drive. So its either IDE or PCI sata controller, I went IDE. Sound is supose to work. its the Realtek ALC850 sound drivers which have drivers on the realtek site. Also, the only live cd I could get to boot was KANOTIX64. So I used that to install Gentoo. But I have not tried since I got the drive installed so it might work w/ an IDE drive.

So if you have a matx board that works or doesnt work well in linux let me know and ill add it to this post.

Problems:
- DFI Infinity RS482 (no sata drivers; boot off IDE or pci sata controller.)

Fine:
-

According to the Linuxquestions.org HCL, the Biostar Tforce 6100-939 works. I will personally verify this as soon as the rest of my components arrive.

Asus A8N CSM on Kanotix (the latest beta 901 BIOS fixes the ACPI issue; MSI's board has this fix already) with 2GB of ECC RAM and RAID1 SATA drives.

The latest drivers run the Tremulous game at roughly 40-60fps at 1280x1024. Sound works if you install the latest ALSA 1.10RC5 drivers.
If you dual-boot Windows, make sure you cold start (pull plug or shut off power supply) when going from Windows to Linux or your network interface won't be able to transmit packets.

System is in a Q-XPack. Power utilization is roughly 80W with powernowd idling the dual Opteron at 1GHz. Case temps are 30C at CPU and 35F near drives.

ken

alright thanks,
since it seems i cannot edit my first post it'll have to be running info :| oh wells.
anyway got gentoo going, working on kde now (250packages to emerge). just had an issue w/ grub still being on sata.

isnt kanotix only live? not really the same as booting but thanks :)

Kanotix can be installed to your hard drive but doesn't support LVM during the install.

I have it installed w/ a LVM On Root setup. That was a painful migration :-P
It's also pure Debian Sid...

I have an RS482 and a SATA drive. About half the time it fails to detect, so I just go into the CMOS setup and autodetect on channel 2. Then it boots fine.

I tried to install SuSe 10 and it doesn't even make it past to the setpu screen; right after you choose 'install' it locks up.

Back