SFF Build Assistance

WldWzl

Limp Gawd
I have build a good number of systems in my time but never anything that I would consider SFF. I have an interesting set of requirements, so I ask the masters.

First this is a secondary computer that I plan to use for some video encoding, but mostly it will be used to host a few VMs, so a decent amount of RAM is important.

Size and sound are a concern, the box needs to be relatively small with regards to it's footprint, and quite since it will be in a bedroom of a person who isn't open to a lot of fan noise, weird I know.

Budget, around $600 is fine, but want to stay lower then $800.

Thanks in advance gentlemen.

Please answer the following questions:
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Where do you live?
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?

Just get your everyday AMD or Intel mATX board so you get the 4 ram slots since RAM is most important. I don't think you need to worry more than that :)

Gigabyte, ASUS, and maybe MSI seem to make the best mATX boards.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$600-$800 tax and shipping included.
3) Where do you live?
Arizona
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
Case, MB, CPU, RAM, HD, PS, don't need an optical drive.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Nope
6) Will you be overclocking?
Nope
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Next few weeks.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Nothing extra.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, 64bit Win 7 Pro.

$215 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU + BIOSTAR TA785G3HD AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$220 - 2 x G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$56 - Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$50 - Corsair 400CX 400W PSU
$50 - Bgears b-Envi BG01176 mATX Case
---
Total: $591 shipped.

8GB of RAM should be plenty for VMs :) The Phenom II 955 is still fast enough to do quite a bit of video encoding.

$215 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU + BIOSTAR TA785G3HD AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$220 - 2 x G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$56 - Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$50 - Corsair 400CX 400W PSU
$50 - Bgears b-Envi BG01176 mATX Case
---
Total: $591 shipped.

8GB of RAM should be plenty for VMs :) The Phenom II 955 is still fast enough to do quite a bit of video encoding.

Thank you sir.

What Danny said sounds good to me. You can play around with the motherboard if you like...not much different in the current AM3 chipsets (kind of just small upgrades).

You are worried mostly about RAM so just get a board that can handle a lot of fast ram well.

Back