SFF does 8800GTX SLI

dworley

Gawd
Here's my lastest [H]ard SFF build :)

Definitely CPU limited at this point - unfortuanately there are no Intel C2D mATX SLI motherboards on the horizon....

QMICRA Case
eVGA NF-44
8800GTX SLI
X2 4800+
2GB Patirot LLK
Seasonic M12 700W PSU
Silverstone NT06 CPU cooler
(2) 80mm SilenX fans - exhaust
(2) 80mm Coolermaster Silent LED fans - intake

3DMark 06 = 9543

3DMark05 = 14073

I chose all of the components to run as silent as possible - it's actually very quiet.

This was just a "test mule" setup to explore performance of these cards in SLI with AMD platform. For BF2 / BF 2142 I really don't see much gain, likely due to CPU limitation and SLI drivers for 8800GTX.

I'll probably just stick with my 7950GX2 or a single 8800GTX for this setup as it performs about the same and return one of the 8800GTX's to Fry's.

I'm loving my 8800GTX in my microfly. I moved up from a 7950GX2 as well, and for me, it's worth not having to fuxx with SLi profiles to get stuff to work right, plus I can run dual monitor without using onboard vid (or run 3 monitors now!)

Performance wise, the 88 smokes the 7950 anyway (once you turn up the candy)

It is amazing how cpu limited these get in sli, you are only getting an extra 1000 or so 3dmarks from single.

I wish some of the cons had computing power per square foot competitions, along with case mod stuff :D

What is the other bridge for? I thought there was one SLI bridge for sending/receiving.

Are those BFG cards 11”? They don’t look as long as I thought they were supposed to be.

Not sure about the second SLI bridge - have heard it is rumored to be for future "Tri-SLI" or Physics card

The cards are definitely 11" long - the QMICRA has lots of space so they look smal ;)

Well I was looking at the board dimensions... mATX should be 9.6" x 9.6", but that does not look like it hangs over the end by 1.4". Have had boards that are a little bit wider, though.

Looked up the specs and that board is 9.75". So I guess that looks right...

Very nice :).

I thought the 8800 needed two x16 lanes to run properly, or have the retailers been telling us fibs again?

I think that is the problem Dworley.

If I read the specs on the NF-44 right, it's a 1X16 2X8 SLI. Not a 2X16 mobo.

That could be why you are topping out in 3dMark06.

Back