SFF motherboard review questions

Steeeeve

2[H]4U
So I'm about to review the P55-T36 and was wondering what you guys felt was the most important about a motherboard review.

If you could please respond to the poll question at www.sffclub.com that would be a big help but discussion here would also be good.

Do people really just read the conclusion?

Do you really care about gaming performance when those generally don't vary based upon motherboard with same chipsets?

My first thoughts are this:

1) Is it stable and well built
2) Can it do some minor overclocking (a sign of a stable system for one)
3) Does it get to hot, does it use too much power
4) Memory benchmarks
5) on-board audio work well
6) I/O works well

thoughts?

I care for overclocking stability and reliability of 750 AND 860 following the DFI guidelines with turbo on and off, audio performance and I/O considering the reported issues with wifi.

I'd like some gaming benchmarks too, seeing ITX boards are often marketed as HTPC computers it would be relevant to do at 1920x1080p and say 1360x768 that seems common resolution of 720p TVs.

Honestly I don't care for comparations with other boards/full size boards since it's pretty irrelevant.

I agree that gaming benchmarks are pointless for motherboards... maybe do 1 run to compare it with other motherboards, but you don't need 20 different games/resolutions to show the difference of 2-4fps in games.

I think mainly stability, and if there are any heat issues with the chipset/cooling system included. As well as any flaws that you can find the the setup or quirks. But overclocking performance and basically that.

Some reviews I skip to the conclusion or just want to see a comparison between certain models. Depends on what I'm buying I guess... I think motherboard reviews I tend to read a lot into it because I'm picky about the motherboards I buy. Not as picky about VGA cards because they don't really differ between brands. PSU's I tend to stick with brands I already trust, no need to read reviews honestly. Memory is another thing I don't care about benchmarks on, all memory performs about the same.

Yeah, I've read a ton motherboard reviews and never see gaming differences assuming same chipsets.

Overclocking seems to show signs of stability because if it can do a reasonable OC than it generally is a well built board.

Things I look for in reviews;
Stability
Overclocks
Limitations and funky issuses with mobo and chipset.

Benchmarks on memory and IGPUs are cool but I dont really give them more then a passing glance.

So I'm about to review the P55-T36 and was wondering what you guys felt was the most important about a motherboard review.

If you could please respond to the poll question at www.sffclub.com that would be a big help but discussion here would also be good.

Do you really care about gaming performance when those generally don't vary based upon motherboard with same chipsets?

4) Memory benchmarks
6) I/O works well

thoughts?

I'd say you have it pretty much spot on.

4) Memory benchmarks
6) I/O works well

thoughts?

I read conclusions only when narrowing down products, then in order to choose between one or two choices, I read the entire reviews.

I'd say you have it pretty much spot on.
Thanks...I should have mentioned that I wanted the reviews to be SFF specific. Some things aren't as important to SFF such as extreme overclocking. Everyone realizes that mini-itx isn't going to overclock like ATX...It's physically impossible.

Back