SFF vs Matx

jedirye

Gawd
Yeah, so I was under the impression SFF and Matx were different, am I wrong? Or is SFF a form of Matx that is even smaller? It has been my experience that SFF is comparatively smaller than Matx. Someone clear this up for me... or link me to a site that will because Google has failed me.

-rye

the way i look at it is matx is a form factor for a motherboard while sff is just a way of describing i guess a "non-big" computer, particularly machines that are more portable

Oh man that stuff brings back 4th Grade nightmares...

"No Ms. Cooper! NOOO!!!!!" Then you wake up to realize you wet yourself.

Back on topic, SFF has a pretty vague definition in and of itself. For a prime example of SFF, look at shuttles. Many will say that the microATX cubish cases that many of us use around here (myself included) are SFF as well even though they are significantly larger. As said earlier, SFF just described something with a small footprint that is relatively portable to a mid tower or full tower case. mATX is just a form factor for motherboards that happens to fit into a lot of "SFF" cases.

SFF = Small Form Factor, therefore it implies any computer in a case that takes less than a standard ATX-sized motherboard.

For example, a mATX tower by my definition would be small form factor, as well as the tiny ITX computers some people have, Shuttles, Q-packs, and even htpcs that take mATX boards.

I would not define an ATX htpc case as SFF, because ATX is not a SFF. Though there can be exceptions, like Votey's Q-Pack (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=944516) which is basically an ATX mobo forced into a mATX case.

So by my definition, any computer with a mATX case or smaller form factor is considered SFF. I guess Flex ATX would probably be considered SFF too, because they usually will fit in mATX cases.

"Small Form Factor" reeks of a lawyer's legalese in its inelegant ersatz redundancy.

Perhaps the coiner of same suffers shortness of stature, hence inferior feelings?

Omg, this kind of threads make me mad! :mad:

ATX, mATX, flexATX, ... describe a precise format for motherboards.
SFF is a blurry notion of computer size, i.e. refers to the case's size, regardless of what the size of the motherboard is! I think something around 25L is a good treshold for defining SFF.

Take a X-Qpack. Most of you would agree it's a SFF. What if you mod it and put an ATX motherboard inside? Does it suddenly stop being a SFF??? I don't think so ;)

Which is why most people say it means takes at most a mATX mobo STANDARD.

See poll.

That logic is flawed and retarded, if aspire began to make a qpack that came stock like votey's case it wouldn't be sff? gg. Also just because the majority of people vote on something doesn't mean the majority is right.

sabrewolf732 said:
That logic is flawed and retarded, if aspire began to make a qpack that came stock like votey's case it wouldn't be sff? gg. Also just because the majority of people vote on something doesn't mean the majority is right.

It does in this case :)

And yes, if APEVIA (not aspire anymore) made a case like Votey's it won't be SFF.

As I said, no you're wrong because you're defying logic. If it were exactly the same as votey's and you consider votey's to be a SFF then it's a SFF. SFF is not a motherboard form factor.

Steeeeve said:
It does in this case :)
How can you say you're right when there is no official definition. :eek:

Steeeeve said:
And yes, if APEVIA (not aspire anymore) made a case like Votey's it won't be SFF.
It makes absolutely no sense :eek:

Steeeeve said:
Which is why most people say it means takes at most a mATX mobo STANDARD.
Did you ever notice that definitions are very detailed? That's because it needs to be precise and logic. In 99% of the case, a system based on a mATX mobo would be a SFF. You need a better definition to take into account the remaining 1%.

Why did noone come up with an offical definition when the term SFF was first used. It would spare us theses headaches.

Well, there is no standard set for computer cases like they do for motherboards and PSUs. Therefore it is probably best to set SFF as an already established standard...mATX or smaller (standard). This gives exact specifications and no room for judgement. If the case is 8ft by 8ft but only fits a mATX motherboard than yes that would be SFF (by definition) but no one would buy it or make it :).

Perhaps if a standard were set using volume you would be able to get a better definition. Maybe I will do that with my website and see if we can get it generally accepted.

Oddly enough, I agree with you that mATX is a bad standard (look at that poll and see my comments) but it seems to be the most generally accepted and the best one we can deal with right now.

matx is a motherboard standard, SFF refers to the size of the overall computer. Not the motherboard, if I put a matx board in a tower case it is NOT sff. If I put a atx board in a case like a xqpack it is sff. Motherboard size != size of overall computer. And since SFF has no official definition you can't say,

If the case is 8ft by 8ft but only fits a mATX motherboard than yes that would be SFF (by definition) but no one would buy it or make it .

sabrewolf732 said:
matx is a motherboard standard, SFF refers to the size of the overall computer. Not the motherboard, if I put a matx board in a tower case it is NOT sff. If I put a atx board in a case like a xqpack it is sff. Motherboard size != size of overall computer. And since SFF has no official definition you can't say,

Well, we have a majority opinion and I go with that :cool:

I gave reasoning for why people use mATX and there is no other standard that can work unless someone creates one.

Your only reasoning is that the majority of the people voted on it... as I said majority isn't always right. People aren't always educated on the subject at hand etc. Just because the majority states something means you have to take it with a grain of salt. Hell look how wrong "majority" has been by looking in a history book.

sabrewolf732 said:
Your only reasoning is that the majority of the people voted on it... as I said majority isn't always right. People aren't always educated on the subject at hand etc. Just because the majority states something means you have to take it with a grain of salt. Hell look how wrong "majority" has been by looking in a history book.

Well I don't see you coming up with a better alternative. How can the majority be wrong about something not defined? It seems the majority has defined it!

sabrewolf732 said:
A better alternative would be volume.
maybe so, but there is no standard set up volume and until one is set....you gotta stick with what the majority of people want to be the definition.

sabrewolf732 said:
volume of the micro fly would be a fine maximum.

Well you don't get to set the standard sadly :p...I would disagree with that volume anyway

Steeeeve said:
Well you don't get to set the standard sadly :p...I would disagree with that volume anyway

you don't either ='( Sorry but anyone can make their own "sff" site.

sabrewolf732 said:
you don't either ='( Sorry but anyone can make their own "sff" site.

And I am not. In the event of no definition, you go with the majority.

And not anyone can create their own SFF site....it takes more work than you think ;)

Back