SG03 heat sink options

Liu Kang

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

Looking for an aftermarket heat sink for my EVGA P55 mATX w/ i5 650. I've got it in a Silverstone SG-03, so clearance is a huge issue.

The more I think about, the more I think I could stick to the stock cooler... Any thoughts and/or experiences welcome.

TIA.

Hmm how much clearance do you have with your PSU installed? Scythe Shuriken might be an option at 64mm in height. Scythe Big Shuriken is 58mm in height but is a little wider and may potentially cover your ram slots.

big shuriken or gemini II are decent options else you can go H50, thats what i use to tame my i7 920 in the SG03

As far as the SG03 case goes I dont think you'll find anything that will cool the cpu better than the H50. The case just doesn't allow for a big HSF. Put the rad in the front top spot as intake and leave the bottom fan for the 120mm fan of your choice. Preferably something better than the stock case fan. I used a Scythe model shown in sig. :)

In my SG-03, I used to have an NT-06 with a fan underneath it, blowing up and into the PSU. This was a fiddly solution, which worked... but here's a universal truth, no matter how you filter your case, there will be dust everywhere. Having to take the entire works apart to get the dust out wasn't fun.

I upgraded to an H50. Much better performance (currently idling at 34°C on a heftily overclocked Q6600), and quite a bit easier to clean: power down the computer, then stick the vacuum cleaner in there! And you get to use Corsair's recommended radiator-as-intake configuration (which many people don't regard, for what that's worth).

I can tell you from personal experience that the gemini with fan attached will not fit and without a fan does not sufficiently cool.Also from personal experience I woud not recommend the Silent X low profile cooler.

Corsair H50 /w 1 fan WILL fit.

Corsair H50 with 2 fans MAY fit.

Corsair H50 is probably the best cooler for your purporses.

Thanks for the tips, guys...

I have the big shuriken now, and I'm not a fan. I tried to run the h70, but it's too big, so I'll try the h50 instead.

Thanks for the help.

I run the big shuriken with my HTPC. I traded out the stock fan with a different one, but still am only partially pleased with the performance. It does do better than OEM CPU cooler, but not by a ton. It works fine though at stock voltage and a moderate OC.

Here's what my H50 with Push Pull is like

77 highest OCCT (not linpack, but regular OCCT).
84 highest OCCT (Linpack).

This is with 1350 rpm push-pull Gentle Typhoons.

Back