SG03 review.....

Definetely a sexy looking case. I wonder if it can hold a 8800GTX card? I was dissapointed to read they only put a 6800U in it but I understand they did that for thermal testing. It would have been nice to see how big of a vid card would fit inside it. IMHO the clencher for any case, wether it be mATX or ATX, is if it can hold the bigger video cards (G80s) that gamers love to have?

Damn, somebody beat me to posting the link... I was going to do my British duty & pimp the UK site!

But yes, it's very sexy, but they didn't try fitting a dual 120mm rad in the front, which is what we all want to know really.

Definetely a sexy looking case. I wonder if it can hold a 8800GTX card? I was dissapointed to read they only put a 6800U in it but I understand they did that for thermal testing. It would have been nice to see how big of a vid card would fit inside it. IMHO the clencher for any case, wether it be mATX or ATX, is if it can hold the bigger video cards (G80s) that gamers love to have?

From the article:
Many who witnessed the SG-03's first outing were surprised at just how small it was – and even more surprised to see it was running quad SLi at the time!

This was with two 7950 GX2s. So, at least 9 inches of space, assuming the case did not change in this area since it was displayed. Not sure about all that GTX (10.5) length though. My guess would be no. GTS should be fine, as it is 9 inches.

With a second 120mm fan and a NT06 Lite setup (using PSU as exhaust), i think it'll be cooler than a SG01 setup. Also with a better wire management of course.

They shipped a bunch of review units to Europe and only 2 to the US. I'm still trying to obtain one.

I like it. I want one. The hard drive placement is pretty cool. Looks like enough space to put a slim 240 rad in front and watercool a coule of components. Nice.

Looks really nice, but I don't like the way the PSU goes in there. :(

8800GTX cards will fit, here is a picture showing quite a bit of space left with 7950GX2 Quad SLI installed:
silverstone2kn7.jpg

Way too early to say, but I'm wondering if the new ATI cards will fit in here.

hmm the review is pretty good and gives me what I expect but the review says the case could use an exhaust port on the top, I thought the SG03 was suppose to have a grill on the top which could be fitted with a 80mm fan? Or was that for a different Silverstone?

If not I think it would be worthwhile to modify the top to be able to fit a fan to exhaust air, itstead of using Silverstone's FX121 crossflow fan which only provides 14 CFM of airflow at 26 dB(A) considering if one uses 2 x 120mm front fans and the PSU as an intake I dont imagine there will be efficient airflow from the front to back

I would definitely put a slot cooler up top facing upwards instead of using a fan controller.

I want to see how temps will be with an NT06 setup.

Weak placement of the PSU. They seem to have wasted space near the top of the case and added space near the bottom for the drives.

Looks like a baby stacker.

I'm typically a fan of mini towers, but something just seems annoying having to remove the PSU if you have to get to the MB. o_O

I was looking forward to this case, but I'm not disappointed I went with a X-Gene either.

hmm the review is pretty good and gives me what I expect but the review says the case could use an exhaust port on the top, I thought the SG03 was suppose to have a grill on the top which could be fitted with a 80mm fan? Or was that for a different Silverstone?
SilverStone had one on the proto but determined it to be worthless.

From silverstone regarding 8800GTX

Hi Steve, anything from our ST50EF-Plus short cable edition to our ST75F,
ST85F modular PSUs with PP03 short cable kit can work well inside the SG03.
The 8800GTX cards will fit inside the SG03, we made sure of that!

Steeeeve,
Thanks for checking into that and sharing the info! Kudos! :)

Some might not like this as a solution for swapping out drives but, personally, I love it. In theory, the bays also act as big heat sinks for the drives but how effective that's going to be at the very bottom of the case is open to debate.
Open to debate? Why didn't they just monitor the hard drive temperature and be done with it? I was really hoping to see hdd temps in this review, ah well...

I would have also liked to see how is the front 120mm fan mounted and how it moves up/down to the position we want, at least I think it does that.

If not I think it would be worthwhile to modify the top to be able to fit a fan to exhaust air, itstead of using Silverstone's FX121 crossflow fan which only provides 14 CFM of airflow at 26 dB(A) considering if one uses 2 x 120mm front fans and the PSU as an intake I dont imagine there will be efficient airflow from the front to back
I asked a Silverstone bod about the top 80mm fan in the upcoming Sugo 03:
Hi xxxx,

Many thanks for your swift and informative replies to date.

Guess what; i have another question/comment for you:

First off, congrats to the Silverstone Team on the Sugo 03, a truly
innovative case.

Is there any chance of not having the top mounted 80mm vent in the Sugo 03
though?

It is a bit ugly, spoiling the lines of an otherwise very attractive case.
Top vents are always a danger to the components within from coffee
spillages.
As an alternative, there is already a spare expansion blank at the top of
the case, and Silverstone already has a Crossflow Fan for use in Sugo cases.

Rather than a top vent for an 'optional' 80mm fan, why not just provide
mounting points for the crossflow fan against the spare expansion blank.

It would provide a prettier case.
It would provide a better protecting case.
It would provide another use for an existing Silverstone cooling product.
How about it?

Kind regards

R3MF
and this was the response:
Hi R3MF, thanks for keeping up with us and giving us your feedbacks! The
production SG03 chassis design has recently been finalized so we cannot make
any more changes at this point. However, after having done many tests on
the prototype that we revealed at CES, we did remove the top mounted 80mm
vent as it barely made any difference to overall cooling effectiveness. The
option of adding the FX121 and the distance from CPU to PSU will remain the
same as seen on SG01 so if you've already invested in our NT06 cooler plus
short cabled ST50EF-Plus or modular PSU, they can be reused again.

What is different from SG01 however, is the ability to flip the PSU around
so that its bottom 120mm can be drawing outside air through the open grilled
side panel (for those that do not have NT06 or other setups that requires
PSU not to be drawing air from the CPU area). The styling of the side panel
with open grille will look somewhat similar to TJ09.

Our schedule for availability is likely to be in April.

xxxx
SilverStone Technology
http://www.silverstonetek.com

I think it was more like they wanted to people to buy their crossflow fans

the crossflow fan is only to be used when no NT06 is installed, an editorial mistake now corrected:
Your welcome :)

There are four PCI slots down the bottom, the 5th is at the TOP of the chassis, see the rear pic for what I mean. This would give direct heat extraction from the CPU area.

Matt.

i point you towards this paragraph:
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=8438&page=4
Review said:
At the top is what looks like a spare PCI plate that got lost on the way. Its purpose is to allow the fitting of an optional cross-flow fan, Silverstone's own FX121.

if you look at the picture of the rear of the case, you will see four mounting holes between the PSU and the mobo backplate, this is where the crossflow fan is mounted, not over the 5th blank PCI slot. :)

the review implies that the crossflow fan fits over the 5th blank PCI slot, which is something i did indeed suggest to SST, but as far as i know they have not implemented.

it could be that SST did implement this, but your picture doesn't show any mounting holes for the crossflow fan other than where it was originally intended; between the PSU and mobo backplate.

hope this helps.

You are correct I need to edit the editorial to reflect this, i was going off something I had been told but mis-understood. I remember the upper PCI plate was designed for thermal control of fans/CPU cooler - like they displayed at CES.

Sugo 03 looks to be a brilliant SFF case, which given that it is less than 25l in volume i consider it to be.

i will definately get one, but i would like SST to make accommodate three changes:
> rubber grommets for HD mounting (as per hexus review)
> more mobo mounting points on the tray (as per hexus review)
> option for none ventilated side panel (as per hexus review)
> crossflow mount holes over the 5th PCI slot as optional active cooling for those who want it (my suggestion)

rubber grommets for HD mounting (as per hexus review)
The hard drive plates supposedly act as big heatsinks, so soft mounting the hard drives would only make the temperatures go up. Of course that all depends on how hot the hard drive already is with the current mounting solution, sadly Hexus didn't monitor hdd temperatures. :( But I suspect they aren't exactly running cool.

they will be just fine. people have been cramming drives into SFF cases for years without serious overheating problems, i'd far rather have non rattling hard drives personally. :)

they will be just fine. people have been cramming drives into SFF cases for years without serious overheating problems, i'd far rather have non rattling hard drives personally. :)
People have been hard mounting drives in SFF cases for years. ;)

It makes a difference in temperature when the hdd don't have any metal to metal contact with the case. It makes even more difference when there's no air travelling across the hdd to speak of, like is the case with the SG03. But maybe with a 2nd 120mm fan mounted at the bottom they would get some air..

the reason i........... worry, is because the harddrive plates don't appear to be very solidly fastened to the chassis. maybe i underestimate SST engineering skills, but that would appear to be a source of vibration; the plate against the chassis. :)

At least rubber grommets aren't expensive, so maybe try with and without.

Like R3MF, I'd love one without that ridiculous looking side vent.

I think everyone will have to explore their own cooling needs.... and solutions. But that's the fun of this, right?

Another review without hdd temperatures, only vague cpu temps... at least it has better pics than the hexus review. :cool:

Wow, that thing is really small for a tower case. I wonder if any of the flower heatsink can fit in there. The front 120mm fans can blow the exhausted air from the flower heatsink towards the back vent. This thing will look pretty nice on any desk for sure.

Wow, that thing is really small for a tower case. I wonder if any of the flower heatsink can fit in there.

It has the same clearance as the SG01, so all the popular flower heatsinks (7000, 7700, Blue orb II) will work. Just make sure to flip the PSU so that the fan is facing outwards.

I can hardly take the wait! So it's expected to be available "early May." ... I guessing that means before the 15th. :rolleyes:

Steeve, how comes the pre-order? As soon as I can get that case, I'm also going to pull the trigger on the abit Fatal1ty mobo, NT06, and ST50EF-Plus SC from you as well. :D

Back