Shader Model 3.0 required games?

ClearM4

2[H]4U
What games require the Shader Model 3.0? Vegas and BioShock, any others?

I am quite irritated by this. I had to play Vegas on a 6600gt which is half the speed of my x800xt. And I bought BioShock for my xbox360 for this same reason. Why would a developer not include a lower graphics setting which uses Shader Model 2.0? Games like Crysis(medium/low settings), CoD4(medium settings), UT3(high settings) all run fine on my x800xt at 1024x768. Someone created hacked drivers to run BioShock on Shader Model 2.0b video cards, but why didn't the developers include this in the first place. It would have been a lot easier for the developers to create too, since they wrote the original code. It seems to be a poor excuse of developers just not wanting to supporting older video cards.

Anyways, my main question, are there any other games that require Shader Model 3.0 besides Vegas and BioShock?

Splinter Cell games (don't remember which ones but the latest for sure) and some other UBI titles- possibly the latest Rainbow Six title.

Why would a developer not include a lower graphics setting which uses Shader Model 2.0?
Assumably because it's more effort. SM2.0 is a hair under five years old today, and its obsoletion shouldn't come as a shock to anyone, really.

Unreal tournament, GOW PC, and Crysis support SM3.

Bioshock and R6V is just pure laziness.

Yea, but when R6 vegas came out last year, they should have made it for SM 2.0 cards as well, considering it would run on 6600GTs but not on my X800 XL!

Yea, but when R6 vegas came out last year, they should have made it for SM 2.0 cards as well, considering it would run on 6600GTs but not on my X800 XL!

You knew the card was sm2.0 when you bought it (atleast the info was out there) and nvidia cards of the same time were sm3.0. You bought the card, its now obsolete, get over it.

had the same issue with my 800xt. So i went out and bought one. no biggie, get over it and enjoy the new games.

Why should developers spend more time and money to support an outdated graphics card that will most likely not run the game as well.

Why should developers spend more time and money to support an outdated graphics card that will most likely not run the game as well.

Because its not outdated.......Its one thing to use Shader Model 3.0 features, but there is no reason to require it. The differences are minimal between the two shaders and nearly all Shader Model 3.0 features can be produced with Shader Model 2.0. Shader Model 2.0 runs just as good as Shader Model 3.0. Games like CoD4, UT3, and Crysis all run fine with medium to high settings with Shader Model 2.0. The 9800pro is just as fast as the 6600gt and the x800xt is a hell of a lot faster than both of those. Even BioShock runs great with the x800xt once you install modified files, developed from some random programmers. If some random programmers can develope the game to run Shader Model 2.0, it couldnt be that hard for the developers to include it.

So, Rainbox 6: Vegas and BioShock are the only games that require Shader Model 3.0?

Everyone keeps telling me that my 6800GT (I still got it somewhere) is obsolete, but everyone with an x800/x850 keeps saying that their cards aren't, its bullshit and everyone knows it. My 6800GT however will run bioshock and w/e games I have no intention of playing that just happen to be sm3.0 only.

Everyone keeps telling me that my 6800GT (I still got it somewhere) is obsolete, but everyone with an x800/x850 keeps saying that their cards aren't, its bullshit and everyone knows it. My 6800GT however will run bioshock and w/e games I have no intention of playing that just happen to be sm3.0 only.

You don't need the approval of others to play video games.

Because its not outdated.......Its one thing to use Shader Model 3.0 features, but there is no reason to require it. The differences are minimal between the two shaders and nearly all Shader Model 3.0 features can be produced with Shader Model 2.0. Shader Model 2.0 runs just as good as Shader Model 3.0. Games like CoD4, UT3, and Crysis all run fine with medium to high settings with Shader Model 2.0. The 9800pro is just as fast as the 6600gt and the x800xt is a hell of a lot faster than both of those. Even BioShock runs great with the x800xt once you install modified files, developed from some random programmers. If some random programmers can develope the game to run Shader Model 2.0, it couldnt be that hard for the developers to include it.

So, Rainbox 6: Vegas and BioShock are the only games that require Shader Model 3.0?

Complain to ATI that they did not include SM 3.0. For clarification an x800 series is outdated. Thats from what....'04/'05 I believe? Can you even buy an x800 anymore? I mean it sucks to not support it but its not a game developers problem especially when the cards that do not support it are 2-3 years old.

Complain to ATI that they did not include SM 3.0. For clarification an x800 series is outdated. Thats from what....'04/'05 I believe? Can you even buy an x800 anymore? I mean it sucks to not support it but its not a game developers problem especially when the cards that do not support it are 2-3 years old.

Yeah you can get them at newegg, for like 80 bucks.. They're budget cards now.

Back