Sharing Dialup on a Dlink Wireless Router

antirush

Limp Gawd
I've come up against this problem and it's driving me crazy. My girlfriend's parents have dial-up (they can't get anything else) and have several computers which they would like to connect with that are not near a phone line. I had given them 2 wireless cards knowing that it's fairly easy to share dial-up over an ad-hoc network but they would not reach far enough. Therefore I purchased a used Dlink 802.11b router. It was the really popular one which name escapes me at the moment. But on to the problem: I cannot get a dialup connection to share over the router. I've done everything manually, tried to run their wizard to the closest specifications of what I have. Is there a way to do this? Any insight is appreciated.

Download AnalogX proxy (to lazy to put a linky google is your friend) Install it on the computer that dial up to the internet. Follow the instruction in the readme and you should be able to get access on all the computers. The main computer will need to be given a static Ip addy, if the lease runs out you will be wondering why the hell the connection share wont work.

antirush said:
I've come up against this problem and it's driving me crazy. My girlfriend's parents have dial-up (they can't get anything else) and have several computers which they would like to connect with that are not near a phone line. I had given them 2 wireless cards knowing that it's fairly easy to share dial-up over an ad-hoc network but they would not reach far enough. Therefore I purchased a used Dlink 802.11b router. It was the really popular one which name escapes me at the moment. But on to the problem: I cannot get a dialup connection to share over the router. I've done everything manually, tried to run their wizard to the closest specifications of what I have. Is there a way to do this? Any insight is appreciated.

If they are running anything newer than Windows 98 Second Edition, you can try Internet Connection Sharing. You should then disable the DHCP server in the wireless router, then user the router as a switch, leaving the WAN port alone. The computer running Internet Connection Sharing will then automatically assign DHCP addresses to any other computer that connects to the network, and they will be automatically configured to access the internet through the computer with the dial-up connection.

That seems like a more complete solution. Is diasabling the DHCP server a matter of a changing a setting in the router firmware?

Back