Sharp 32" 1080P

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
Anyone use this model as a monitor? It is going for $800 here at Sears. Need a bigger screen than my 24".

Is this the one that is the same as the GP1U "gaming" model, just without the "gaming" mode?

I had the 32" Sharp D62U for 3 weeks. It is "Sister" of the gaming model (32" Sharp GP1U).
I used it as a combo "PC Monitor & Gaming Panel". Here's my experience with it...

1)....
I gamed in Oblivion at 1920x1200 rez. And also at 1920x1080 rez (in TV-world it's called "1080P").
Game scenery was beautiful, movement was smooth. (Twin 7900GT's with "eye candy" set not too high).
I found the Sharp was excellent for gaming, even tho it was not the 32" Sharp 'gaming' version.
I thoroughly enjoyed the "bigger gameworld" that a 32" gives.

Note: I was coming from 30" Dell 3007WFP, and before that I gamed on 23" HP-L2335, and before that 19" Dell, and before that 17" no-name, and before that 15" IBM (my first LCD).
Each time I changed monitor, I went up to a "bigger gameworld" and the ENJOYMENT WENT UP each time.

2)....
Also, when using Sharp 32" as a common ordinary everyday PC Monitor ""---it performed excellent at its native resolution of 1920x1080 (which also is called "1080P").
I used no other rez than 1080P, and text was always nice, n' sharp and tight, and screen colors were beautiful..
note: This was after I set Text in WinXP to size of text I wanted, and style of text I wanted, and set screen-colors to what I wanted (and told WinXP to "Ignore Website colors").
So "Yes," imo Sharp 32" is a real fine PC Monitor if you run it at top rez 1920x1080 (which also happens to be the only rez I ever set it to when Gaming)

SUMMARY:
That sweet Sharp-32" is now gone, but only cuz I'm gonna go one final step "higher"-----to a 37".
And that'll be it, for my desktop computer area, I'll go no bigger.
(Haven't yet decided yet, wether the 37" will be LG's 37LB5D or JVC's 37X688).
Anyway, hope this helps and Good luck.:D

i've been looking at the exact same sharp 32" ... seems like an amazing display, especially for $860 after tax.

I'm kind of thinking I want to wait for it to go lower, anyone think the prices on these will dip a bit further?

"860"?---wow, u got it that cheap?
I paid Circuit City $989 for "open box" Sharp 32" and thought it was great price.
People are now starting to snap them up, for same reasons we grabbed ours.
But If Sharp stops production (08 models will be announced Jan at CEC I think, but could be wrong) then these 32"Sharps on shelves today, will prolly rise real-quick in price.
Yes/No?

ZAK -- Does the Sharp "game" better than the Dell 3007, despite the Dell's higher resolution?

Picked one up at Sears today. LOVE it. Using it for my PC and 360. I'm only 2.5' or so away at max so it SDEs badly, need to do some rearranging ASAP. the only thing that's driving me nuts is calibrating it. They've completely taken out color hue/saturation on this model. I presume they're in the service menu but I haven't checked. My typical "copy settings from AVSforum" tactic is NOT working. It seems each preset has it's own settings that are unseen to the user. Setting the exact same settings on "PC" and "user" produce very different results, favoring the PC choice.

So far:
"PC"
backlight: +9
contrast: +31
brightness: +2
color: -1
tint: +10
sharpness: 0
color temp: middle
black: off

I'm a festering idiot when it comes to display calibration so if anyone else has one I'd appreciate it if you'd share your settings :) Or maybe some tips on how to do this properly... I've been using the lagom.nl LCD test because it's all I have at my disposal. Black square 1 is extremely difficult to see without higher brightness, but it's there.I can not get 253-254 to show at all and 251-252 are very faint. I guess that is to be expected though, considering this is a TV, correct?

ZAK -- Does the Sharp "game" better than the Dell 3007, despite the Dell's higher resolution?
Wolf, I wont say Sharp 32" games better than my Dell 30" (which can go to higher 2560x1600 rez).
But will say, I enjoyed Gaming in a 32" gameworld significantly more than Gaming in a 30" gameworld.
How so?
2" dont sound like much, but in reality, a boost from 30" Diagonal to 32" Diagonal-----is a big boost in "real estate" size.
And that was far more important to me, than going from 1080P rez to a higher rez.

1080P Rez ("1920x1080") is an extremely high rez. It's a "photographic-quality" rez.
Gaming is an absolute blast at that tremendous rez.
(if you have a video card(s) and a pc able to handle that rez, with 'eyecandy' turned 'On').
Heck, I used to enjoy it immensely when gaming at 1600x1200 rez. IMHO, that's where you enter "photo-quality" country. And 1080P is even higher.

SUMMARY:
So yes, 1080P rez is plenty high, gives awesome photo-quality Gaming. I can even see 'sparkle' and details, in a person's eyes at 1080P rez. wow.
So I've no need for a higher rez, I'm now concentrating on getting a bigger Gameworld, That's why I went 30 to 32 and never looked back.
IMO, in the World of Gaming the awesome 32" 1080P LCD-TV is The New Kid on the Block.
Wolf, I hope this answers your question (its just my opinion based on my experience).

Thanks for the info, Zak! I've been deciding between the Sharp and Samsung 305T. I went ahead and ordered the Sharp GPU1 32" today. :D

Picked one up at Sears today. LOVE it.
Using it for my PC and 360.
I'm only 2.5' or so away at max so it SDEs badly,....
the only thing that's driving me nuts is calibrating ....
Z3r0, I'm a total noob for calibrating. Did you say you have a Calibrating disk?
Also, what did "SDEs badly" mean?

I found this post: Sharp settings that work for me".
Apparently some guy had two different calbrating Disks and gave settings for each disk. (Does Newegg sell Calibration disks?) .....
Using DVE to calibrate:
Backlight -3
Contrast +35
Brightness -12
Color -7
Tint -3
Sharpness -4

User Mode > Advanced
ColorTemp Middle
Black On
In Options, turn Digital Noise Reduction to Low
-----------------------------------------------------------
Using AVIA to calibrate:
Backlight -3
Contrast +35
Brightness -12
Color -5
Tint -3
Sharpness -4

User Mode > Advanced
Color Temp Middle
Black On
---------------------------------------------------------
Also, a Techy-type guy, posted this Notice.....
The name "Brightness" is misleading, its a poor choice of words.
The Brightness control does not set Brightness level-----it sets BLACK level".
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope these settings help someone. Cheers.....

The settings you use are a personal thing .
For example I'm using the following:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backlight -8
Contrast +32
Brightness -4
Color -4
Tint 0
Sharpness -2 ( 0 when watching a movie further back from the screen )

User Mode > Advanced
Color Temp Middle
Black Off ( while it can slightly improve the black level, I also find that it can crush dark details)
In Options, turn Digital Noise Reduction to Off
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got my LC32D62U on boxing day for $979 Canadian. That Sears deal is really quite fantastic! Too bad I don't live in the US. Sears here in Canada still wants $1299 :confused:

I had considered getting the 37" but I'm quite glad I didn't as the 32" is big enough and accomplishes exactly what I wanted... a larger screen to replace my (2x) 24" BenQ's for watching BluRay and HD DVD movies.

Am I only only one that jacks the Color all the way up to 20+ with this display?
Matt, use the Settings that your eyes like,
Thr only "caution" I ever heard was:
"Dont keep Backlight Setting at maximum, cuz it'll shorten the life of the backlight-bulbs
Dunno if its true, but I pass it on.

Pixels are staggered?
de21aab0af.jpg

This image was posted in this thread on the GP1 which has the same lcd panel i think:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12584652&posted=1#post12584652
Anyone with one of these find this bothersome? I have one ordered for pickup but it hasn't come in yet.

Pixels are staggered?
de21aab0af.jpg

This image was posted in this thread on the GP1 which has the same lcd panel i think:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12584652&posted=1#post12584652
Anyone with one of these find this bothersome? I have one ordered for pickup but it hasn't come in yet.
Nojoka, welcome. BTW, read the whole page in that Thread. When you do, you'll see that a tekky-guy "rm88" replied to the guy who posted that image.
rm99 said the image shows 'how' Sharp draws pixels and to notice it, the guy obviously must be watching tv with his nose real-close-to-screen.
(See Post #1647).

I never notice it, and since you're not gonna plant your face against your new 32" screen, I wouldn't worry about it.
I judge a screen (pro or con) by its image, colors, blacks, how sharp is text, etc. Not by a pic of its microscopic-size pixels. (Just my opinion).

Matt, use the Settings that your eyes like,
Thr only "caution" I ever heard was:
"Dont keep Backlight Setting at maximum, cuz it'll shorten the life of the backlight-bulbs
Dunno if its true, but I pass it on.

Obviously it will lower the life, but how much is the question. There's also a large difference in power use, but I can't remember how much. I just set my backlight from +9 to 0 (STD) for those reasons, especially since I leave it on all day every day as a PC display. Easier on the eyes as well, +9 is damn bright!

Enough of all the Fluff people.

If you're gonna talk about an LCD, talk about actual quantifiable criteria instead of "bro it looks sweet dude". Otherwise this thread is basically useless.

Factors like:

- Backlight level, can you actually use a big ass TV with 5 billion brightness without going blind. If you turn down the brightness to a sane level does the contrast and color go to shit.

- Input lag - Is it a s-pva panel? Even if it's not, compare it to a CRT or something.

- Black level? Good/bad, better or worse than XXXXXX model

- Backlight bleed

- Color accuracy compared to xxxxx model or IPS

- Text sharpness compared to a IPS or TN panel, (NOT a crt or other VA panel).

- etc

Obviously it will lower the life, but how much is the question. There's also a large difference in power use, but I can't remember how much. I just set my backlight from +9 to 0 (STD) for those reasons, especially since I leave it on all day every day as a PC display. Easier on the eyes as well, +9 is damn bright!
Z3, thanx for input.
You have it on "display" (in a shop or some-such, I suppose)
btw, Sharp's coming out with successor to our nice 32" GP1U. This might explain why Sharp 32" prices are dropping.
Its called GP3U and is improved-majorly, with new circuits.Sounds good.
For more info, use link in post 17 or 18 (above) and read any posts there that mention 'GP3U'.

Sorry I don't have an S-IPS monitor or a dozen other TVs just chillin here to compare it to... otherwise I would.

And I take back my comment about 0 backlight being easier on the eyes, my eyes kind of hurt now :mad:

By display I mean I use it as my monitor... lol

Z3r0, I'm a total noob for calibrating. Did you say you have a Calibrating disk?
Also, what did "SDEs badly" mean?

I found this post: Sharp settings that work for me".
Apparently some guy had two different calbrating Disks and gave settings for each disk. (Does Newegg sell Calibration disks?) .....
Using DVE to calibrate:
Backlight -3
Contrast +35
Brightness -12
Color -7
Tint -3
Sharpness -4

User Mode > Advanced
ColorTemp Middle
Black On
-----------------------------------------------------------
Using AVIA to calibrate:
Backlight -3
Contrast +35
Brightness -12
Color -5
Tint -3
Sharpness -4

User Mode > Advanced
Color Temp Middle
Black On
---------------------------------------------------------
Also, a Techy-type guy, posted this Notice.....
The name "Brightness" is misleading, its a poor choice of words.
The Brightness control does not set Brightness level-----it sets BLACK level".
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope these settings help someone. Cheers.....

I tried those settings, and it just made it seem way too dark for me. Maybe I'm just too used to my settings. This is for my PC use.

Backlight +5
Contrast +30
Brightness 0
Color -5
Tint 0
Sharpness -5

Color Temp: Mid-low
Enhanced Blacks: No

I returned 3 of these TVs in a 24 hour period. Dead/stuck pixels everywhere. There are other issues with it too. If it sounds to good to be true...it is.

In the GP1U thread at AVSF, someone said "LOW" color temp = 6500k (for the GP1U at least). I tried it and now all the other color temp options look blue :eek:

Mr.Scarface what other issues did you have with it? Maybe I lucked out because I'm dead pixel free and the other one we purchased looks to be as well.

Also, i am sure if u try 3 backgrounds....white, black, blue.....u will see multiple dead pixels.

I've got probably 5 stuck pixels, but none of them are close together. I only found that I had that many because I used a solid black background while putting my face close to the screen to look for them. I never notice them while using it, I only see them if I actually try hard to see them.

Also, i am sure if u try 3 backgrounds....white, black, blue.....u will see multiple dead pixels.

Upon very close inspection I found
blue: 0
white: 1 small one
black: a larger one than white, presumably 2-3

Doesn't bother me a bit. I never noticed them and had a very hard time picking them out from a sane viewing distance.

What other problems did you have?

I picked up my Sharp 32D62U from Sears, this morning. Hooked it up, turned it on... nothing. No power. DOA. I returned it but Sears had no more in stock so I just took a refund.

Sorry to hear you hit a bad streak of luck.
I'm having 100% goodluck with the new panels I've bot these past 3 months (Sharp, JVC, Toshiba)..

You really notice those pixels when using as a computer monitor. Supposedly, there may panel issues. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=965105

Im sorry, you are paying 800+ dollars of your hard-earned money on a TV you expect to be in great condition. Dead Pixels are UNACCEPTABLE.

I went back to a Samsung LN-T3253H, feature rich...NO DEAD PIXELS. It has had a few issues that others have posted in AVS forums, but those have been fixed for the most part with firmware updates. Also looks great as a Computer monitor.

Mr.Scarface,
I must be lucky... I've been back and forth a few times over this screen with various coloured backgrounds and can't find a single dead or stuck pixel.

Now as for using this screen as a PC monitor, it's actually quite good - but you need to spend the time and set it up properly. One of the key settings is the "sharpness" level. Anything above -6 and I find you really start to loose on screen detail. I'm currently using -8 and sit about 3ft. from the screen.

For watching hi-def movies I'll often set the sharpness to 0 or even +2 if the video quality is "soft". I watch movies from a distance of about 6ft. to the screen.

Anyone heard any new info on Sharp's new 32" GP3U ?
Its supposed to be replacement for our nice 32" GP1U ---- and has many new "bells n' whistles".
If you hear any facts, rumors, plz post here? (Allegedly, we might see it at CES show this January).

Supposedly the GP3U has updated electronics and faster processing internally.
Guess we won't really know till after CES.

Mr.Scarface,
I must be lucky... I've been back and forth a few times over this screen with various coloured backgrounds and can't find a single dead or stuck pixel.

Now as for using this screen as a PC monitor, it's actually quite good - but you need to spend the time and set it up properly. One of the key settings is the "sharpness" level. Anything above -6 and I find you really start to loose on screen detail. I'm currently using -8 and sit about 3ft. from the screen.

For watching hi-def movies I'll often set the sharpness to 0 or even +2 if the video quality is "soft". I watch movies from a distance of about 6ft. to the screen.

sharpness -6 eh? I can't really tell a difference between 0 and -6 but I haven't tested much. On the desktop however, -6 starts turning text to mush. It's kind of like taking your glasses off.

sharpness -6 eh? I can't really tell a difference between 0 and -6 but I haven't tested much. On the desktop however, -6 starts turning text to mush. It's kind of like taking your glasses off.

Of course if you adjust from 0 down to -6 then yes it will look quite blurry. Best thing to do is to adjust the setting then go do something else for a bit then come back to the screen. 0 is too sharp for PC use unless you are sitting a good distance away from the screen. I find images, graphics and text to look better on the Sharp with a slight softness. Too sharp and everything looks etched and distorted.

My eyes aren't yours though so ultimately set it up they way you like :cool:

I should get my GP3U on this coming Friday. The waiting and anticipation is killing me.
I'll do a brief review of it after I get it.

Anyone heard any new info on Sharp's new 32" GP3U ?
Its supposed to be replacement for our nice 32" GP1U ---- and has many new "bells n' whistles".
If you hear any facts, rumors, plz post here? (Allegedly, we might see it at CES show this January).

I should get my GP3U on this coming Friday. The waiting and anticipation is killing me.
I'll do a brief review of it after I get it.

How come the sharp website doesn't even have them listed? buy.com are selling them however.

Of course if you adjust from 0 down to -6 then yes it will look quite blurry. Best thing to do is to adjust the setting then go do something else for a bit then come back to the screen. 0 is too sharp for PC use unless you are sitting a good distance away from the screen. I find images, graphics and text to look better on the Sharp with a slight softness. Too sharp and everything looks etched and distorted.

My eyes aren't yours though so ultimately set it up they way you like :cool:

Tried that and -6 isn't looking to bad. Thanks.

Back