Sharp Aquos 52inch LCD Pics & 1st Impressions!

parasailing said:
Sunin,

I don't think you are picky as banding is one of the issues that one should look for when deciding on whether to buy a lcd panel.

How are the off angle viewing on this particular set? The sharp 37" didn't have very good off angle viewing. Also, how close can you set to the tv when displaying text at full resolution without being blurry or hard on the eyes?

Thanks

I've sat 3 feet or so from the set and had no issues reading extended amounts of text.

I agree with the banding thing I have 30 days no questions asked return policy. I get a little bit of LCD fade at 180 degrees, but its still viewable. It is 100x better then my old rear projection set.

Sunin

HL2 Pics for your enjoyment at 1920x1080

Sharp%20Aquos%20HL2%20001a.jpg

PIC 1

Sharp%20Aquos%20HL2%20002a.jpg

PIC 2

Sharp%20Aquos%20HL2%20003a.jpg

PIC 3

Sharp%20Aquos%20HL2%20004a.jpg

PIC 4

Sharp%20Aquos%20HL2%20005a.jpg

PIC 5

Sharp%20Aquos%20HL2%20006a.jpg

PIC 6

Sharp%20Aquos%20HL2%20007a.jpg

PIC 7

Sharp%20Aquos%20HL2%20008a.jpg

PIC 8

Man the slightest movement of the camera blurrs the bright colors I tried my best to get decent shots... Once I shrink them I'll put up the pics as well, for now click's for your viewing pleasure.

Seems like a pretty cool game!

Sunin

Sunin said:
HL2 Pics for your enjoyment at 1920x1080

PIC 1
PIC 2
PIC 3
PIC 4
PIC 5
PIC 6
PIC 7
PIC 8

Man the slightest movement of the camera blurrs the bright colors I tried my best to get decent shots... Once I shrink them I'll put up the pics as well, for now click's for your viewing pleasure.

Seems like a pretty cool game!

Sunin

LOL seems like a pretty cool game? It was only THE game to get when it came out. :rolleyes:

Its a good game to benchmark hardware with. I'm assuming those pics were the game running at 1920x1080 correct? I'm sure you've noticed by now that the game is very flexible when it comes to display resolutions. Man I'm jealous. :(
Because I'm sure like you already said that those pics do not do the game on that big screen justice.

sunin, do yourself a favor and download the fakefactory hi-res pack. it's enormous but well worth the download for the high-res models on everything.

dclam said:
sunin, do yourself a favor and download the fakefactory hi-res pack. it's enormous but well worth the download for the high-res models on everything.

I assume those for HL2 yes?

StalkerZER0 said:
LOL seems like a pretty cool game? It was only THE game to get when it came out. :rolleyes:

Its a good game to benchmark hardware with. I'm assuming those pics were the game running at 1920x1080 correct? I'm sure you've noticed by now that the game is very flexible when it comes to display resolutions. Man I'm jealous. :(
Because I'm sure like you already said that those pics do not do the game on that big screen justice.

Yes that was at the full 1920x1080. It looks sweet, that was just the demo as I wanted to see it before buying it. I'll probably download the whole pack this weekend. I think the super pack was like 79.99, but not sure what that included.

Sunin

Sunin said:
Yes that was at the full 1920x1080. It looks sweet, that was just the demo as I wanted to see it before buying it. I'll probably download the whole pack this weekend. I think the super pack was like 79.99, but not sure what that included.

Sunin

Yeah I think valve adds alot of value to their stuff. Included should be a few games and also there are those episodes that add on to half life2 that you can get seperately. And there is of course counter strike included. :)

To show your FPS in HL2, press the tilde key, and type in "net_graph 1" without the quotes.

Not to get too far off topic, but how does Steam work? If I loaded steam on my 2nd comp would I be able to load up HL2 on it also? Or say if my HD crashed on my main machine, and I replaced it and had to D/L it again can I?

Just curious before I invest.

Sunin

Sunin said:
Not to get too far off topic, but how does Steam work? If I loaded steam on my 2nd comp would I be able to load up HL2 on it also? Or say if my HD crashed on my main machine, and I replaced it and had to D/L it again can I?

Just curious before I invest.

Sunin

While I'm sure you can download and install on more than one machine you would not be able to play counter strike online or hl2 multiplayer online with more than one machine. But with ya steam account I'm about 99.999 percent sure that you will be able to simply download it again if somehow you lose your hard drive.
You would simply install steam again and log-in with your account information and download again. I'm sure you can simply confirm all of this on their site.
Steam is good...just get it already! You could be playin counterstrike online blasting noobs to hell-N-back all now. :p

StalkerZER0 said:
Dear gawd I can just imagine what CRYSIS would look like on your setup. :eek:

Honestly Oblivion is max'n my card out as it is... So I think by mid 07 is my threshold on buying a new system. I will finally go with a 45nm dual or quad core and most likely with Quad G80's. I'm guessing 3k for the system.

Ahh Sitting on my couch reclined and playing games :)

Sunin

So I take it your keeping it ?

what is your rating so far 1-10 ?

Was it worth $3,700 - $4,000
:confused:

It is still a 9, its an excellent value for an LCD the few stuck pixels out of 2million plus is normal and the band is hardly noticeable. I'm going to question Sharp about it... See what they say and explore the other two option that use this same generation panel. I do not expect that any of the others will be any better.

Sunin

Sunin said:
Honestly Oblivion is max'n my card out as it is... So I think by mid 07 is my threshold on buying a new system. I will finally go with a 45nm dual or quad core and most likely with Quad G80's. I'm guessing 3k for the system.

Ahh Sitting on my couch reclined and playing games :)

Sunin

*burns with jealousy*

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

are you talking about the band on the left, extending a bit towards the near center? If so, it's not a very long band. I would leave it if I were the owner

It is a horizontal bar, that extends the entire width of the screen. The cursor is in the middle of the bar. Like I said if you open up the full resolution image and click the image corner to put it at its original resolution and then scroll up and down, you will see the very very slight bar.

Sunin

P.S. Downloading the 9gig pack right now... man I feel like I'm on dial up again... 4hrs estimated! yawn! Can you patch steam games the same way as if you own them. IE the two linked mods above can just be downloaded and applied?

You do own them, its just a digital distro instead of you actually having the Cd's or dvd. Each time you run one of the games it will auto connect to steam and will check if theres any updates/patches, if theres one available it will auto download and instal before you play the game. Its really nice and easy since you dont have to go and look anywhere else online to get updates for your games.

Btw....Awesome panel dude, GL and enjoy it. ;)

Back