Sheesh, what's the obsession with RAID here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the obsession with RAID here? Is it just another toy to play with? For a home system it gains you nothing (what, 1-2% performance) but waisted space. Does anyone really care if their browser loads up in 1 sec or 2sec?

RAID 5 fileserver gives me peace of mind at the very least, knowing that my data is pretty safe from physical harm. Also, managing one large TB chunk is much cooler than juggling a bunch of drives.

And honestly, if you've got like...two old SATA drives or something laying around, I'd just slap 'em into an external enclosure or something, and eSATA them as a RAID 0 array for photochopping' scratch or HD capture or something. It woudl be a fun, high-performance scratch disk to mess around on, and I wouldn't care too much about unimportant stuff getting lost if a disk dies.

You need to be more specific with your question. Are you asking about AID 0 arrays, or RAID 1/5? They all have their place, and not everyone here is a home user.

:rolleyes: troll. Read any wikipedia article on RAID and it will inform you of its vast improvements over single disk applications.

It's advantages to movie editing, processing, and encoding are unparalleled, as is its improvements for graphics editing. True that the average end user won't notice an advantage, but RAID 5 / 6 / 10 and a few others offer more than a simple speed boost

LOL, noobie, first post on the forum.

Did you register just to start a flame war?

Or did you create this alternate account to start one not under your usual screenname?

LOL, noobie, first post on the forum.

Did you register just to start a flame war?

Or did you create this alternate account to start one not under your usual screenname?

Im betting this is his account lol. :p

I wonder if there's RAID 16, striping with double parity implemented on top of a set of mirrors...

With 10 disks, you'd have 3 drives worth of space!

I know you're a new forum person, but Disk Storage Systems are generally quite dependent upon RAID. I don't even have to check if the data I'm typing will be stored on a RAID.

offtopic

one time my dad was late for work and he ran to the bathroom without turning on the lights to spray his hair with the aqua net. he grabbed the hairspray in the dark and started to spary his hair only to find out that he was spraying his hair with a can of raid that my mom had left on the counter HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Depending on how you configure RAID, you can get better performance. E.g you can configure to read/write data from multiple HDD at once.

I'm sorry for flaming this thread ... but I have to.

When configured correctly ... by a user who understands DISK STORAGE SYSTEMS (what a coincidence that this happens to be called the Disk Storage Systems category on this forum), a RAID setup can provide data security, and when done correctly signifigant gains in performance.

If you've got some sort of animosity towards RAID setups ... then why are you in the Disk Storage Systems category of the forums in the first place?

I'm requesting that a moderator please lock, or close this thread, as it has no relevance ... whatsoever, to this section of the forum, other then to incite flame wars (which obviously by the nature of this post i'm unfortunately contributing to).

I don't know what the fascination is... RAID is pointless and stupid. In fact I do a sort of reverse RAID myself. I only format half the drive, and then I only record half my data. The other half I keep up here *points to head*

I don't know what the fascination is... RAID is pointless and stupid. In fact I do a sort of reverse RAID myself. I only format half the drive, and then I only record half my data. The other half I keep up here *points to head*

You must be running low on headspace then, because if you think RAID systems are pointless and stupid, you obviously don't have enough space in you're brain to fill with the knowledge of how RAID setups actually operate, their practicality, their power, usefullness, and in some cases (the business environment), their absolute necessity ...

How exactly do you manage to keep billions and billions of bits of data in you're brain anyways? Last I heard we hadn't yet grasped the ability to convert the dynamic highly biochemically regulated electrochemical signalling pathways in our brains to the binary system employed in computation ...

Farthest we've gotten when it comes to the BIOPHYSICAL relationship between technology and organic material is that we were capable of sending a 'binary signal' to a snail cell signalling apoptosis. We have a very vague understanding of sentience, and can only really employ technology to large areas of the brain (we've got monkeys to do shit with their thoughts, but our understanding in the field of neurobiophysics is the largest mystery science currently faces.

Why did I write all this? Well .. i'm at work, and i'm bored. But more importantly, I wanted to highlight you're stupidity.

I'm sorry for flaming this thread ... but I have to.
No, you have a point to make. It is patently possible to explain that point without personal attacks, as the users who posted before you mostly managed.
If you've got some sort of animosity towards RAID setups ... then why are you in the Disk Storage Systems category of the forums in the first place?
Perhaps he lost data on a raid 0 array, and felt mad enough about the whole concept that he need to complain. It's a human tactic. Explaining his mistaken reasoning is a far better tactic than attempting to bodily throw him out of the forum.
You must be running low on headspace then, because if you think RAID systems are pointless and stupid, you obviously don't have enough space in you're brain to fill with the knowledge of how RAID setups actually operate, their practicality, their power, usefullness, and in some cases (the business environment), their absolute necessity ...
Ad hominem...
...I wanted to highlight you're stupidity.
And I think this speaks for itself.

I wonder if there's RAID 16, striping with double parity implemented on top of a set of mirrors...

With 10 disks, you'd have 3 drives worth of space!

Yep you can do this

just run a software raid 1 layer of 2 raid 6 arrays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back