Shim for mobile A64's?

iddqd

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, I'm thinking about getting a mobile 3700+, but it doesn't have an IHS.., And I'm afraid of crushing the core, so I need a shim... Question is, are there any available? Will shims made for AXP's work?

You can always make one.

Go to a metal dealer, ask a for a 1.25x1.25x0.125 piece of copper. Its about the right dimensions.

the old XP shims may work.

You may want to look into using a HSF that uses the screw/spring method of tensioning (like the MCX6400V), that way it will allow you to decide the amount of tension that is exerted onto the core, unlike the clip-type fasteners found on other HSF.

Tenchi4U said:
You can always make one.

Go to a metal dealer, ask a for a 1.25x1.25x0.125 piece of copper. Its about the right dimensions.

the old XP shims may work.

You may want to look into using a HSF that uses the screw/spring method of tensioning (like the MCX6400V), that way it will allow you to decide the amount of tension that is exerted onto the core, unlike the clip-type fasteners found on other HSF.
MCW6000-64-installed.gif

?

iddqd said:
Well, I'm thinking about getting a mobile 3700+, but it doesn't have an IHS.., And I'm afraid of crushing the core, so I need a shim... Question is, are there any available? Will shims made for AXP's work?

The way the mounting works on a 64 there is very little need for a shim. Even the spring clip retainers apply pressure pretty evenly. A bit of care as always, push straight down on the HSF while you latch it, but the new mounting system makes chiping your chip pretty hard.

Luck

Tenchi4U said:
Don't you think a waterblock would be a tad better than a heatsink ^_^ ?
BillR said:
The way the mounting works on a 64 there is very little need for a shim. Even the spring clip retainers apply pressure pretty evenly. A bit of care as always, push straight down on the HSF while you latch it, but the new mounting system makes chiping your chip pretty hard.

Luck
Thanks! Does anyone know, though how high is the core above the surface of the PCB? (how thick it is). I might end up making my own shim/buying an XP one...

I dont' have anything to comment on about gettting a shim, besides don't lol.

Even the swiftech waterblock and HSf won't work well on a DTR or a A64 with the IHS removed. You'll have to discard the black retention bracket and screw it straight into the base.

(My 3400+ had the IHS removed, this was the only way to get enough pressure on the core.)

iddqd said:

You're messing with me, right?

A water block is only usable if you are using a water cooling setup. You never specified if you were going to use air cooling or water cooling.

If you are using a water cooling setup, of course a peltier would be better (what would be the point of using an air HSF?).

Tenchi4U said:
You're messing with me, right?

A water block is only usable if you are using a water cooling setup.
Umm. Who the fuck do you take me for? :mad:

iddqd said:
Umm. Who the fuck do you take me for? :mad:
There is no need for profanity, I have been civil with you thus far, I would expect the same from you.

I didn't intend to offend (hey that rhymes!)

Since you never specified if you were running air or water I didn't know whether or not to suggest an air hsf or water hs.

Not everybody is as informed as I would hope, I just didn't want somebody to buy the wrong hsf setup.

iddqd said:

Thanks! Does anyone know, though how high is the core above the surface of the PCB? (how thick it is). I might end up making my own shim/buying an XP one...

If you use the “screw spring” method you can discard the retainer block all together thus negating the need for any shim. If you use the spring retainers you might have to increase the “bend factor” for more tension. Every HSF I’ve used simply centers within the retainer, it doesn’t force a height requirement or touch the HSF except where the spring clips hold it.

On a lighter note, you could use the water block, just blow high-speed air through it and hope for the best ;)

Keep a sense of humor guys..this is supposed to be fun :D

I've never owned an open-core CPU, so a bit nervous about crushing it... But the DTR is so cheap... :confused: decisions, decisions.

iddqd said:
I've never owned an open-core CPU, so a bit nervous about crushing it... But the DTR is so cheap... :confused: decisions, decisions.

You need to keep in mind this is the first time AMD has ever had a heat plate. Everything prior to this has been open core. Just use your head, you have to be pretty ham handed to pooch one, not that it hasen't been done ;)

Heh, the only way you can kill it is by mounting the block/cpu incorrectly. (Which is nearly impossable as all K8 heatsinks are falt based).

Honestly, get the DTR, lower starting vcore (good for overclocking) and you'll see a reduction in temps over a IHS'd A64.

Back