Shocker: Cable TV Prices Rose Four Times the Rate of Inflation

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The cable companies have found a simple way to combat the masses of customers fleeing their services: they just raise the prices to cover the cost. A report from the FCC puts the cable companies charging an average increase of four times the nation’s average for inflation.

Additionally, "equipment prices for basic and expanded basic services increased by 4.4 percent and 4.2 percent, respectively, for the 12 months ending January 1, 2013," the report stated.

I'm not surprised...and it's why I cut the cables last year.

$15 years ago I was paying around $120 per month for every channel including the premiums like SHO and HBO, the fastest HSI tier, and the best landline phone service through Cox. Last year when my "promo" pricing was coming to an end, my rate was going to jump from $160 to $285 per month...and that's without all the premium channels, the second slowest HSI tier, and a better than basic but much less than best phone package. After all those years as a customer, they were willing to do absolutely jack shit to keep me as a customer, even after talking to two different sales reps, a supervisor, and two different retentions reps.

I'm not surprised...and it's why I cut the cables last year.

$15 years ago I was paying around $120 per month for every channel including the premiums like SHO and HBO, the fastest HSI tier, and the best landline phone service through Cox. Last year when my "promo" pricing was coming to an end, my rate was going to jump from $160 to $285 per month...and that's without all the premium channels, the second slowest HSI tier, and a better than basic but much less than best phone package. After all those years as a customer, they were willing to do absolutely jack shit to keep me as a customer, even after talking to two different sales reps, a supervisor, and two different retentions reps.

WE just gotta hold out for google buddie....few more years!

And that's why all one needs is fast internet and some subscriptions. Fuck monopolies.

"Cut the cables". So you are using your cell service for internet?

Smartass! :p

I was referring to only television and phone service. I could add internet and landline servicse through Sprint since I still have an unlimited data plan, but cable HSI would be about the same price, so I'll stick with exponentially faster ISP speeds through the cable company.

Yep, another cable cutter here too. I do miss it though sometimes. The wife really does cause she doesnt have any hobbies like I do LOL. May eventually get a basic stripped down contract with Dish or something to keep her happy. For me, Netflix, OTA channels and my PC are more than enough to keep me entertained when Ive got down time. But yeah, the prices kept going up but the quality of the channels never did. Watched maybe half dozen channels but was paying $110 a month!

Until the lobbyist convince the government to make everyone have cable TV or pay a fine so prices go down because you know, everybody needs affordable cable TV.:p

Look, signed up for TWC 2 years back.
In that time my equipment rental went from $5 a box to $11 a box and I started getting charged $12 a month for "modem rental" for a shitty DOCSIS 2 Arris modem that cut out every time the damn phone rang.
I'm paying for 15mbps and getting 2mbps even though I now use a Zoom DOCSIS 3 modem of my own, I told them I wanted to cut my package if I couldn't get the speeds I was promised, and they said I was too far out from the node and if I cut my package my speeds would further decrease.
Lovely right?
I get 3mbps on my Sprint 4g and would LOVE to use it for my home data but the latency is terrible, already tried to game on it.
Every month my bill goes up by at least a dollar, but they have it broken down into so many little categories with 5 cents here and 10 cents there its just mind numbingly crazy.
Cable companies are about as trustworthy as used car salesmen or starving bull sharks when you're swimming in a pool full of them in an outfit made of freshly butchered red meat and bacon.

Okay can you point out on the doll where your cable company touched you?

the_shocker_design_black.png

If it makes you guys feel any better, I am paying $75-80 a month for a TWCBC 7Mbps connection. I had to switch to business class from regular consumer just to get reliable connections that wouldn't drop every night. The funny thing is that I live in the middle of Cincinnati.

Cable companies largely pass on the costs that the networks charge them.

Time to start blaming the networks IMO.

Cable companies largely pass on the costs that the networks charge them.

Time to start blaming the networks IMO.

But it's also up to the cable companies to be able to fight the networks pricing if they want them to carry their content. Both parties are equally corrupt because they are in bed together.

After the last price increase ($15) I was ready to drop some of the services (I have Cable, Internet & Phone), but Cox got a 1 year reprieve in my house when they gave me a $20.month discount. Almost decided to cancel, but didn't have the time to deal with getting something else at the time, and at least it was a little less than I was paying before.

Still Paying over $140, for around 80 channels, 25 mbit down, and the most basic phone service.

I'm assuming another increase next year, so when that happens I don't even think I'll bother trying to get them to give me another discount. I'll be dropping the phone (switching over to an IP based phone service, as the wife still wants a land-line), and dropping the TV service to something more limited, even if it means we can't watch some of the few shows we currently watch. I'd switch to an antenna, but I'd need at lest a 12' poll on the top of my roof for the antenna, and that's not allowed.

One thing to always remember with these cocksuckers.

Every time their deals end? Call, and see what new deals they can qualify you for. And be adamant that a massive price increase will cause you to go elsewhere. And be willing to hang up on them.

I know of several people who've been paying introductory price for five or more years now.

One thing to always remember with these cocksuckers.

Every time their deals end? Call, and see what new deals they can qualify you for. And be adamant that a massive price increase will cause you to go elsewhere. And be willing to hang up on them.

I know of several people who've been paying introductory price for five or more years now.

Doesn't work with Cox cable around where I am. They cater to new customers only with their into pricing...when it ends, they will do nothing for their existing customers. I had this confirmed that this is how they operate from an ex-employee.

Their mentality is this:
1. Offer a smoking "can't say no" offer for X months to get them hooked.
2. Fuck them in their asses when the intro pricing ends.
3. Refer to #2.

In my area, Comcast is forcing you into a 2 year contract if you want the discount.

Doesn't work with Cox cable around where I am. They cater to new customers only with their into pricing...when it ends, they will do nothing for their existing customers.

Based on what I had read, I was a little surprised when Cox offered me the $20 off per month. They did say it was because I was a long term customer (guess 19 years counts for something).

I know someone else who thought she got a great deal from Cox last year when she moved into a new apartment. That was until her most recent bill that was more than double what she was paying before. Cox basically told her tough, and all they could due to lower the price was to cut some of the services. Even if she cut everything to the most basic service, she still wouldn't get the price down to what she was paying before.

I haven't had Cable TV since 2003 though I have had cable internet since then through Comcast. My only other option is AT&T DSL which peaks at a screaming fast 6Mbps.

Politicians bought and paid for? Check.
Competitors sued out of existence? Check

The only way to fix this is to raise the pitchforks.

I haven't had Cable TV since 2003 though I have had cable internet since then through Comcast. My only other option is AT&T DSL which peaks at a screaming fast 6Mbps.

Politicians bought and paid for? Check.
Competitors sued out of existence? Check

The only way to fix this is to raise the pitchforks.

+1

As non violent as I am.... I can easily see if things keep going down the path they have been. I.e. the regular guy getting screwed harder and harder every year. There will be a point when people say fuck it and go nuts.

We all shake our heads and can't understand when someone goes nuts and shoots up a work place. I'm by no means excusing it or saying it's okay, it's just a by product of poor mental health as well as a system that it setup to constantly screw the middle and lower people. I'm sure most of us here are stable, sane, and by any measure just a regular good guy. Everyone has their breaking point though. Even the nicest most loving dog will bite the hell out of you if you kick it enough.

I wouldn't shed one tear if a lot of these corrupt politicians or CEO's started getting popped on the street. If you REALLY want that extra few million dollars in your bank account from a corrupt deal, you'd better be willing to accept whatever consequences come from it.

Time after time these pole smokers cry poverty, phone companies, record companies, electric,....the list go's on all the while making mind numbing profits with public infrastructure.

Time after time these pole smokers cry poverty, phone companies, record companies, electric,....the list go's on all the while making mind numbing profits with public infrastructure.

I am not sure what public infrastructure the record companies use :confused:

As to the others, the power lines are often controlled and maintained by the power company (which is why they are controlled monopolies), they do pay fees to the local or state governments though to run their poles through state controlled corridors ... phone companies may sometime get access to the poles that are government owned but they often put up their own cell towers or repeaters (and they also pay to access state controlled corridors ... cable and fiber companies may run through state and private land but they almost always lay their own infrastructure (often underground)

As to the question of mind numbing profits, I think oil companies, insurance providers, and certain manufacturers are making higher profits than the Telcos ... and where is the line between "mind numbing" and "acceptable" profits ;)

+1

As non violent as I am.... I can easily see if things keep going down the path they have been. I.e. the regular guy getting screwed harder and harder every year. There will be a point when people say fuck it and go nuts.

We all shake our heads and can't understand when someone goes nuts and shoots up a work place. I'm by no means excusing it or saying it's okay, it's just a by product of poor mental health as well as a system that it setup to constantly screw the middle and lower people. I'm sure most of us here are stable, sane, and by any measure just a regular good guy. Everyone has their breaking point though. Even the nicest most loving dog will bite the hell out of you if you kick it enough.

I wouldn't shed one tear if a lot of these corrupt politicians or CEO's started getting popped on the street. If you REALLY want that extra few million dollars in your bank account from a corrupt deal, you'd better be willing to accept whatever consequences come from it.

Violence should never be condoned or rationalized for something like this ... food is a necessity (and we have had revolutions in the past when people were starving ... "Let them eat cake" ;) ) ... water is a necessity and wars have been fought over the control of water resources ... a job is necessity (but not a right), you still need to be qualified to work and follow an employer's rules of their workplace (although employers should treat their employees fairly and honestly as well) ...

cable is a luxury and not a necessity or a right ... if the price goes up then people can cut back (and we still have over the air television for the basic channels, FOR FREE) ... right now I am able to afford the high costs for my FIOS (but I have reduced services, like HBO, in the past when I wanted to save a few dollars) ... people need to develop a thicker skin and better priorities (especially if the high cost of cable or internet is their biggest concern) :cool:

I am not sure what public infrastructure the record companies use :confused:

As to the others, the power lines are often controlled and maintained by the power company (which is why they are controlled monopolies), they do pay fees to the local or state governments though to run their poles through state controlled corridors ... phone companies may sometime get access to the poles that are government owned but they often put up their own cell towers or repeaters (and they also pay to access state controlled corridors ... cable and fiber companies may run through state and private land but they almost always lay their own infrastructure (often underground)

As to the question of mind numbing profits, I think oil companies, insurance providers, and certain manufacturers are making higher profits than the Telcos ... and where is the line between "mind numbing" and "acceptable" profits ;)

AT&T rakes in more profit than insurance companies, Verizon follows shortly behind.

Insurance companies don't even break the top-20 of the Fortune 500's list of companies-with-more-money-than-entire-countries list. ATT/VZW do.

AT&T rakes in more profit than insurance companies, Verizon follows shortly behind.

Insurance companies don't even break the top-20 of the Fortune 500's list of companies-with-more-money-than-entire-countries list. ATT/VZW do.

Neither does ATT or Verizon (if you look at profits) ... http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global500/2013/full_list/index.html?iid=G500_lp_toprr

If you look at the top 10 companies globally by profit then four are energy, four are banks, one automaker (Volkswagen), and one electronics company (Apple) ... Samsung is a highly profitable company but no one complains about them ;)

Neither does ATT or Verizon (if you look at profits) ... http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global500/2013/full_list/index.html?iid=G500_lp_toprr

If you look at the top 10 companies globally by profit then four are energy, four are banks, one automaker (Volkswagen), and one electronics company (Apple) ... Samsung is a highly profitable company but no one complains about them ;)

And if you look at it by revenue, #11 is ATT and #16 is VZW.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2013/full_list/index.html?iid=F500_sp_full

Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a big sports fan. Live sports are literally the only thing preventing me from dumping cable.

First and foremost, I work for a cable company (have it posted in my bio). While I will say I disagree totally with the bait and switch, that tactic has been used by phone, tv, cell, etc for decades. The only companies that don't use that are the utilities which have a solid monopoly in their area's and can charge what they want and you have no choice (except for maybe putting up solar panels). As far as the rates increasing, they are not doing it without reason. Most broadcasters will jack up their rates 50-100% when their contract runs out. Cable/sat companies must either accept this and pass it on or try and fight it. In the last two years I've seen several cable companies drop major networks temporarily to bring them down to a reasonable level, something that has not happened in the previous years. That right there is a huge chunk of it. Next is the raise in cost for daily operations. Look at how much gas has gone up. That affects companies that pay for their tech's gas. Not only that, but demand for better tech has made box improvements happen more frequently. Each time a better box is introduced the company has to pay the higher price for that tech. Then there is the just the normal price inflation on regular stuff, office supplies, cost of electricity, city easement fee's, etc. To be completely fair you need to look at the raise in cost for these companies as well as the raise in price for services. Its not like its the oil industry that raises the price of gas every time someone in the middle east sneezes.

And your point is? ... Exxon is number two on revenue and Walmart is number one (Exxon makes about twice the profit of ATT while Walmart makes less) ... revenue doesn't mean much (unless you are a private company) ... profit is the ultimate measure of success (and stock price) for all public companies ... but we can spin this around twenty different ways depending at which statistics we want to use ;)

First and foremost, I work for a cable company (have it posted in my bio). While I will say I disagree totally with the bait and switch, that tactic has been used by phone, tv, cell, etc for decades. The only companies that don't use that are the utilities which have a solid monopoly in their area's and can charge what they want and you have no choice (except for maybe putting up solar panels). As far as the rates increasing, they are not doing it without reason. Most broadcasters will jack up their rates 50-100% when their contract runs out. Cable/sat companies must either accept this and pass it on or try and fight it. In the last two years I've seen several cable companies drop major networks temporarily to bring them down to a reasonable level, something that has not happened in the previous years. That right there is a huge chunk of it. Next is the raise in cost for daily operations. Look at how much gas has gone up. That affects companies that pay for their tech's gas. Not only that, but demand for better tech has made box improvements happen more frequently. Each time a better box is introduced the company has to pay the higher price for that tech. Then there is the just the normal price inflation on regular stuff, office supplies, cost of electricity, city easement fee's, etc. To be completely fair you need to look at the raise in cost for these companies as well as the raise in price for services. Its not like its the oil industry that raises the price of gas every time someone in the middle east sneezes.

Why are you so blatantly ignoring that most tv stations/networks are owned by the very cable companies broadcasting them?

It is going to get even worse with Time-Warner getting bought out by Comcast (NBC).

Not to defend cable companies, but did the cost of other things rise more than 4x the rate of inflation too? I know housing and food prices have increased a lot just in 2014 alone--food prices rose almost 20%. Our insurance rates also went up since last year, along with utility rates.

Not to defend cable companies, but did the cost of other things rise more than 4x the rate of inflation too? I know housing and food prices have increased a lot just in 2014 alone--food prices rose almost 20%. Our insurance rates also went up since last year, along with utility rates.

Everything has went up except actual livable wages. All thanks to fractional reserve lending and inflation of the money supply....yay!

Rich get richer, poor get poorer. It's not by accident either but by design.

cost-of-living.jpg

WE just gotta hold out for google buddie....few more years!

Trading one evil for another. What makes you think Google won't do the same thing or have the sane problems? Or are you just looking at the short term and thinking well if the deal is good now.....?

20 dollar flip phone and wifi based Samsung media player. and basic isp with amazon soon to switch that off to

Back