Should 32bit OS users avoid 4870X2?

I have a 9800 GX2 now, which is 512x512 (mirrored) so why do I only have 2.56GB of my 4GB available as system ram? when I had 2 8800 GTX's it was the same ammount, no change.

What else gets mapped other then videocard memory and system memory?

10+ for that post, the situation which I had 4GB of RAM and would show only 3.24GB it was because of my 512MB of VRAM, plus 128MB of AGP Aperture Size and the other devices.

Could someone calculate how much space address is using my card? Thanks!!
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff157/evolucion8/Resources.jpg

Your 3800 series card is reserving 256mb of addressing space.

By the way, google can do the calculations too.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=0xDFFFFFFF+-+0xD0000000+in+decimal&btnG=Search

I have a 9800 GX2 now, which is 512x512 (mirrored) so why do I only have 2.56GB of my 4GB available as system ram? when I had 2 8800 GTX's it was the same ammount, no change.

What else gets mapped other then videocard memory and system memory?

*sigh* open up the device manager and just look...

Thanks!! I just need how to learn to find and interpret those values... But I will figure it out somehow...:confused:

the calculation I linked to is in bytes. So divide it by 1048576 (1024*1024) to convert it to mb. Its pretty simple. The device manager lists the range start and end. So take the range end, subtract the range begin, and you have the size in bytes.

Well I should be getting my 4870 x2 in a day or 2, so I'll install XP for a quick giggles and laugh run before I install Vista x64 again (I always do a format for a new vid card, plsu I'm going from an nVidia-> ATi, so its just a good idea)

I have 4GB installed on a 32 Bit OS with an X2, I haven't had any problems Playing Supreme commander: Forged allainces, Farcry 2, Spore creature creator and two older games.

Any of you want a screen shot of something?

I have 4GB installed on a 32 Bit OS with an X2, I haven't had any problems Playing Supreme commander: Forged allainces, Farcry 2, Spore creature creator and two older games.

I don't, but I think they wanna see a system properties page

I ran a 32 bit OS with my 4870x2 and it showed only as 3.00 GB on my motherboard opposed to my 640 8800 GTS which showed at least 3.2GB.

Yes please. Device Manager->Show Resources By Type. Expand the Memory section and take a screenshot of that please :) It should look similar to the screenshots evolucion8 and I posted.

So was there a final word on this? Should I go buy an upgrade Vista Ultimate? XD

There are few reasons to get Ultimate. Unless you need to join a domain, use bitlocker, or want the few lame "Ultimate Extras", the Vista Home Premium is where it's at.

64-bit vs. 32-bit is what matters in terms of memory limit, not Home vs. Ultimate.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant it saying, should I go out and buy that 64bit vista ultimate that I've been eyeing using the upgrade workaround hack ;) Though might just go with Vista Home Premium. There's no seperate versions of Vista right? Not like the old school win xp 32bit and win xp 64bit?

Yes please. Device Manager->Show Resources By Type. Expand the Memory section and take a screenshot of that please :) It should look similar to the screenshots evolucion8 and I posted.

Ok Ill get a screen shot fot you guys next time Im in XP, I have to reinstall Vista atm, As the drive I installed it on last night died.

Har...

Sorry for the confusion, I meant it saying, should I go out and buy that 64bit vista ultimate that I've been eyeing using the upgrade workaround hack ;) Though might just go with Vista Home Premium. There's no seperate versions of Vista right? Not like the old school win xp 32bit and win xp 64bit?

That's correct. All Vista editions have a license that lets you install either 32 bit or 64 bit (but not both at once). You just have to have the correct media.

That's correct. All Vista editions have a license that lets you install either 32 bit or 64 bit (but not both at once). You just have to have the correct media.

Except for OEM ;).

A Vista Ultimate Disk has is both 32 and 64bit, not sure about the other retail versions.

Retail versions are 32-bit only, except for Ultimate which also comes with a 64-bit install DVD. If you buy Home Premium and want to install 64-bit, you have to request it from Microsoft for like $15 and they'll give you the 64-bit CD-Key and install DVD.

Retail versions are 32-bit only, except for Ultimate which also comes with a 64-bit install DVD. If you buy Home Premium and want to install 64-bit, you have to request it from Microsoft for like $15 and they'll give you the 64-bit CD-Key and install DVD.

The key that came with your 32-bit box also activates the the 64-bit version. MS has said in the past that they are okay with doing that. You do have to still get a 64-bit disc though.

I can't upload it, all sites Ive tried won't allow bitmap image uploads.

Someone throw a site that will host a Bitmap Image of about 7 MB

I can email it to someone if they wanna host it.

Edit: Ill be back in a few hours, so someone who wants the image should give me a site that will allow a 7 MB bitmap image upload, or give e thier email so I can host it.

Cause no sites that I have found have uploaded it..

I can't upload it, all sites Ive tried won't allow bitmap image uploads.

Someone throw a site that will host a Bitmap Image of about 7 MB

I can email it to someone if they wanna host it.

Edit: Ill be back in a few hours, so someone who wants the image should give me a site that will allow a 7 MB bitmap image upload, or give e thier email so I can host it.

Cause no sites that I have found have uploaded it..

Save it as a jpg. It doesn't have to be pixel for pixel perfect.

Here ya go boys, anything else I can do for you?

memorykk3.jpg

You've got two 256MB regions and two 64k regions mapped to your video card, not counting the A0000-BFFFF "compatibility" region. So a tad over 512MB.

Well, Like I said, I have had no problems with any of the games maxed out on My XP Install.

Farcry ( I forgot how marvelious this game was until I experienced it maxed out on a 24' screen)
Zero hour
Armada 2
Supreme commander: forged allainces.

granted they aren't real ram suckers, but no problems...

Well, Like I said, I have had no problems with any of the games maxed out on My XP Install.

Farcry
Zero hour
Armada 2
Supreme commander: forged allainces.

granted they aren't real ram suckers, but no problems...

Hey i just noticed it looks like your (SM BUS driver is not enabled in the last screen) ?..Its showing a Yellow flag? Do you have the driver loaded for it .. It helps with performance .For AMD based sytems the SM bus driver can affect the HD drive speeds and other things as well if the driver isnt UP to Date or installed.

I dont know how it affects Intels though;)

Hrmm, I don't know, I installed all drivers for my mobo and ran windows update a few times, I don't notice any problems though.

You've got two 256MB regions and two 64k regions mapped to your video card, not counting the A0000-BFFFF "compatibility" region. So a tad over 512MB.

So the RAM mirroring is driver-level, and not on the card as some were claiming earlier. 512mb is a good chunk of space reserved, but not too bad. Although now I'm curious - which GPU/RAM combo got to call dibs on the A0000-BFFFF region? lol

@Blueeagle: How much usable RAM do you have? About 3.2gb? (I think you'll have to check the task manager for total ram - not 100% positive on that, though)

I have bad news for P5W DH owners:
i was running an 8800GT 512mb and had 3,16 Gb with memory remapping enabled and 3,25Gb with memory remapping disabled on XP 32bits SP3. after i installed the 4870X2 (Saphire) my memory went down to 2GB with memory remapping enabled and 2,6GB with memory remmaping disabled.

I have a huge B0000000-BFFFFFFF adresse for the the 4870X2 that does NOT shows on the other screenshots here, plus i have been unable to install the audio device driver of the 4870X2 on XP SP3.

Any hints?

I have bad news for P5W DH owners:
i was running an 8800GT 512mb and had 3,16 Gb with memory remapping enabled and 3,25Gb with memory remapping disabled on XP 32bits SP3. after i installed the 4870X2 (Saphire) my memory went down to 2GB with memory remapping enabled and 2,6GB with memory remmaping disabled.

I have a huge B0000000-BFFFFFFF adresse for the the 4870X2 that does NOT shows on the other screenshots here, plus i have been unable to install the audio device driver of the 4870X2 on XP SP3.

Any hints?

Upgrade to a 64-bit OS. Its really you're only choice (or sell the card and get something else, like a 4870). Nothing is actually *wrong* with the system to fix, its just how it works.

:(
Upgrade to a 64-bit OS. Its really you're only choice (or sell the card and get something else, like a 4870). Nothing is actually *wrong* with the system to fix, its just how it works.

Actually there IS something WRONG with my system: a similar XP SP3 machine with the very same VGA DOES NOT eats 1.4GB of memory:mad: , 2 screenshots with a 4870X2 and 3.25GB of RAM should be proof enough that Asus really screwed on the memory adressing for VGAs on the P5W DH.

As far as solutions goes i believe that a 64bit OS is the only way to go, until a BIOS fixes this iissue, but i dont see Asus fixing a 2 years old MOBO BIOS:(

Back