Should I build now (and some n00b questions)

weasel2htm

Limp Gawd
OK, I've decided to build me a new system, ZZF has a Pentium D 2.6 for $100, I want a 3.0 but I can't resist that price, but everyone has been talking about Conroe. Should I wait for Conroe to be out a while so the current P-D prices will drop? My budget is too tight for anything too new. Or will Conroe be priced soon to where that is the direction I should go. I'm hoping to do this rig for $300-$400 and will be using a case I already have, used HD, etc... to make ends meet.

Well, It appears that the current Conroe Prices will make it price prohibitive for me to go that route.

Maybe get a mobo that supports Conroe and plan to upgrade down the road. Or I think, someone confirm this, that there will be more Allendale (spelling) models down the road that are cheaper, basically the conroe but with half the cache, like the e6300 and e6400.

The cheapest conroe, or allendale, is the e6300 for around $209-$220. But considering how it can overclock well, it's a great price, though, then you have to think about a good OCing mobo and better ram that could cost more.

I guess if you don't need extreme perfomance there's no need to go with Conroes unless you leave the option to upgrade to one later. Though, not sure how much cpu prices have dropped on Intel's side with the Conroe launch, but I'm sure AMD has some good pickings for budget with their price cuts to compete with Intel. I'm justing getting back into all this so someone probably has a better idea.

get a mainboard for $150 like GIGABYTE Da-965-P that support Conroe and Upgrade your processor at the end of this year, when QUAD core will start appearing. and Prices will drop even further.

Cpt Twitchy said:
Get a Pentium D now as Conroe should not come down in price for quite some time.
That's kinda what I'm starting to think as well.
Hopefully, the 2.6 will serve me well, I tend to run my PCs until it is time. It's been over 6 years since I built myself a machine, that Slot-A 700 was a good unit, but I need something new, I've already retired the 700 and am running off a P4 1.7 I got dirt cheap at an auction.

I'll make a post with my new system when I build it, will probably order parts sometime between the end of the week and the end of next month

Glad to help and the above about the giga DS3 is a good recomendation. It is a good mobo especially for the price compared against other 775 boards in general and say if you get the itch in 2 years or what ever you can pick up a used conroe or something.

I was looking in the direction of an Intel Brand board, I've got some time befoer I order to look at some other brands. That would open the door should I decide to O/C later.

I've got a friend in much the same position, and I'm probably going to recommend the Pentium D for him as well.

Problem is, all of the Conroe boards demand a hefty premium and none has integrated video (he's a bit tight on cash, will buy GFX when he has a chance). I'd hate to see him upgrade to LGA775 and DDR2 without leaving him the option of Conroe or Kentsfield. When will we see good Conroe motherboards at reasonable prices?

TimothyB said:
The cheapest conroe, or allendale, is the e6300 for around $209-$220. But considering how it can overclock well, it's a great price, though, then you have to think about a good OCing mobo and better ram that could cost more.
i dont mean to be picayune, but e6300 and e6400 are not allendale. allendale will be the 4x00 processors, and they will not have enhanced speed step, virtualization and a few other features that conroe has.

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
I've got a friend in much the same position, and I'm probably going to recommend the Pentium D for him as well.

Problem is, all of the Conroe boards demand a hefty premium and none has integrated video (he's a bit tight on cash, will buy GFX when he has a chance). I'd hate to see him upgrade to LGA775 and DDR2 without leaving him the option of Conroe or Kentsfield. When will we see good Conroe motherboards at reasonable prices?
Intel based mobo's always are expensive. They may go down a little bit but it is all the chipsets taht make them expensive. So far the gigabyte DS3 looks solid for the price if you can live with 1 pci-e x16 slot.

As for intel made boards I am of no help in that department, sorry.

hey, or you could wait for the Intel 975 XBX2 motherboard. It's supposed to be optomized for Kentsfield along with conroe =D. the DS3 is a good choice btw. I'm just not sure when the XBX2 is coming out. Any of you guys know by any chance?

robberbaron said:
I'd say wait a little bit to see how the RD600 pans out.

or that. Highly anticipated Xpress 3200 Chipset (RD600) from Ati. Can't wait to see the overclocking results,

Well looks like my build is getting put on hold temporary, the amp in my truck died (or so I thought)
WARNING: longish story
I looked and figured well my amp (Profile California 3600) is probably over 10 years old, it must have decided it was time. So I go and drop $250 (after tax) on a JL Audio e4300 amp, 75x4 and lots of features my old Profile didn't have. So I take it home, hook it up in my truck, same problem, amp getting power and signal but no output. Upon over two hours of troubleshooting, found that when the amp turns on the voltage drops from 12v to just over 5v hmm may be on to something here, find lots of corrosion hidden under the connection to the battery, so wire brush and sandpaper later (and a little jerry-rigging) amp is getting power and working, tweaked it, set gain, I'm happy and am keeping the new amp instead of returning it, old amp will sit on shelf until I find a use.
Within the next couple weeks I am going to redo my power wiring and will probably relocate the amp in my truck at the same time, basically revamp that part of the install and make it purdy and professional.

Minor thread hijack: I'm thinking I should probably upgrade my video card first, if I'm going to jack my system around again (see .sig), but--being one of those renegade non-OCing mofos--would an stock E6600-based upgrade be a major kick in the teeth or just a slap with a heavy ring? (Though the motherboard issue probably will derail this in the end, or at least delay it until September or October...)

EDIT: stupid .sig editor...

Abit AN8 SLI | Athlon 64 X2/4800+ | 2GB PC3200
ATI Radeon X1800XT | Audigy 4 Pro | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX
Maxtor 250GB IDE | Ultra XFinity 600w | XP x64

Back