Should I continue with Apple?

lessthanjakejohn

Limp Gawd
I have a G4 Powerbook that I used for 6 months and now I have a Dell Latitude that I have used for a year now and I'm using at the moment. I want to upgrade because the Latitude is a 1.4ghz Celeron M and the speed is getting to me. I really miss OS X but I don't miss a few things about it.

I don't like having to carry around my PB like its a baby. My latitude is an absolute tank and it also has an incredible warranty in the fact that it covers accidental damage.

The wireless reception on my G4 Powerbook is incredibly weak when compared to my $700 Dell Latitude.

The Mac Book Pro is more expensive than a Thinkpad or Inspiron alternative.

I'm thinking that Lenovo may be my next choice is the Mac Book Pro's wireless and durability hasn't improved. Also is there an accidental insurance coverage for the Mac Book Pro.

lessthanjakejohn said:
I have a G4 Powerbook that I used for 6 months and now I have a Dell Latitude that I have used for a year now and I'm using at the moment. I want to upgrade because the Latitude is a 1.4ghz Celeron M and the speed is getting to me. I really miss OS X but I don't miss a few things about it.

I don't like having to carry around my PB like its a baby. My latitude is an absolute tank and it also has an incredible warranty in the fact that it covers accidental damage.

The wireless reception on my G4 Powerbook is incredibly weak when compared to my $700 Dell Latitude.

The Mac Book Pro is more expensive than a Thinkpad or Inspiron alternative.

I'm thinking that Lenovo may be my next choice is the Mac Book Pro's wireless and durability hasn't improved. Also is there an accidental insurance coverage for the Mac Book Pro.
Wireless reception: much better. I have first hand knowledge of how crappy PB G4's wireless was. Its much better. On par with everything else now.
Cost - you get what you pay for...ususally
Construction - well im still gonna carry my MBP like its a baby, its not fragile, but i guess im anal about it and dont want mine scratched, dented, ect ect.

Honestly I don't think my 15" MacBook Pro has better wireless than my old 12" PowerBook G4. Maybe something is wrong with my MBP.

felix88 said:
Honestly I don't think my 15" MacBook Pro has better wireless than my old 12" PowerBook G4. Maybe something is wrong with my MBP.
I remember when i had my 700m and my g/f had her PB G4, i had full bars, she couldnt see the damn signal. Now, friends MBP out performs my roomates xps any day.

Octave said:
I remember when i had my 700m and my g/f had her PB G4, i had full bars, she couldnt see the damn signal. Now, friends MBP out performs my roomates xps any day.

except in gaming that is ;)

With Vista coming out after Christmas and Leopard coming out in the spring I may just wait and see what the market does hardware wise. I"m glad that the wireless has improved a lot that will help me in continuing with Apple.

I do think that OS X is awesome and I'd much rather have it than Vista but if the hardware can't keep up then I don't want to go that direction again.

I just wish Apple would pack insurance with their Applecare because as it is now that warranty is useless for me. $349?? or whatever it is now.

I may just have to get both

Back