Should i get a second 670 MSI PE for $340?

NathanP2007

[H]ard|Gawd
So i have had my 670 MSI PE for a while now, and LOVE it. Id say the only negative is unlike the Asus DCU II , when the fan gets high in RPM it gets loud. But thankfully the fan doesnt need to get too loud when working, and my sound system drowns out any noise.

But anyways, i paid $430 at the time for it. Now i see Newegg has it for $404 after MIR (iv never had a bad MIR experience from any website), and also free Borderlands 2 game ($60 value, planning on getting the game day 1 anyways). So thats a 670 MSI PE for $340.

The question that arises is...is it a smart move to double down on my owning a 670, and future proof my rig that much more with SLI 670's. Or is that a stupid move, and waiting for something better to come out in 1-2 years and selling the 670 and buying the...lets say GTX 770 (or w/e) is the smart move?

Also does anyone have any experience with the newegg/nvidia game downloading? I know when i bought a used 6950 once i registered it and noticed i could download Dirt 3 for free, and it DL'ed to my Steam. Does anyone know if the Borderlands 2 goes to Steam? I would want it to.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

What games are you playing currently? What resolution are you playing at?

As for BL2, it's a steamworks game. Every copy of the game will require a steam account.

What games are you playing currently? What resolution are you playing at?

As for BL2, it's a steamworks game. Every copy of the game will require a steam account.

Skyrim, BF3, Batman AC, i believe i play almost all the huge GPU heavy games. Currently at 1920x1080 one monitor. Though if i got a second 670 GTX i assume id own them both for 3-5 years..and in that time i could totally see going multi monitor / higher res than 1080P. But i dont see that happening in the next 1-2 years, more like 3.
Yeah i should have thought of that, thanks though, that makes me happy.

Skyrim, BF3, Batman AC, i believe i play almost all the huge GPU heavy games. Currently at 1920x1080 one monitor. Though if i got a second 670 GTX i assume id own them both for 3-5 years..and in that time i could totally see going multi monitor / higher res than 1080P. But i dont see that happening in the next 1-2 years, more like 3.
Yeah i should have thought of that, thanks though, that makes me happy.

Do you need the extra performance right now? If everything is running the way you want it to, I say sit tight at the moment. If it's going to be another year or so before you will need the performance, the price of the 670 should have come down, and we should have a better idea of what's on the horizon. That makes it easier for you to decide where you're going to get the most for your money. If you could benefit from having the second card now though, it's not like it's going to hurt to get two, and you will certainly have a setup that will be fine for a while.

One thing though, I wouldn't really value BL2 at $60 myself. There have already been pre-order deals as low as $37. Likewise, you are probably going to see a ton BL2 game codes pop up in the FS forum for everyone that got one but isn't into the series. I wouldn't be surprised if you could snag a code for $30 before the game even releases.

No i dont. I totally see your points, and will hold off. Do you have any clue where those pre-order deals have been? Just newegg and Amazon and the usual's?

In 3 years, you'll be able to buy a single card that performs better than 670 SLI for less than what a single 670 costs today. "Investing" in the future is a bad idea when it comes to computer hardware.

Your title got me all super excited that there was a MSI 670 PE for $340, how dare thee sir! Although still a good price.

One card is much easier to deal with and dont have to worry about sli scaling and sli profiles. It is also much easier to sell one card and just upgrade to the latest and greatest.

No i dont. I totally see your points, and will hold off. Do you have any clue where those pre-order deals have been? Just newegg and Amazon and the usual's?

Greenmangaming has BL2 for $50. Use coupon DERHE-RRDER-RINGE for another 20% off, makes it $40. GMG is a legit authorized reseller (unlike most CD-Key sites). The only potential downfall is that sometimes you don't get your CD-Key until release day, meaning you miss out on the possibility to preload the game. Sometimes they get keys out a few days before, but not all the time.

Greenmangaming has BL2 for $50. Use coupon DERHE-RRDER-RINGE for another 20% off, makes it $40. GMG is a legit authorized reseller (unlike most CD-Key sites). The only potential downfall is that sometimes you don't get your CD-Key until release day, meaning you miss out on the possibility to preload the game. Sometimes they get keys out a few days before, but not all the time.

Thanks, im checking that out right now, are you aware of any other Vouchers/Coupons that i can use? The one you said is expired (im guessing it wasnt when you told me, dang).

Thanks, im checking that out right now, are you aware of any other Vouchers/Coupons that i can use? The one you said is expired (im guessing it wasnt when you told me, dang).

Use GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G, makes it $36 on GMG.

Alternately, codes have been popping up in the FS/FT forum. This guy has one for $32 - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1713354&highlight=borderlands

Keep in mind, if the code your buying is from the Nvidia promotion, it DOES NOT come with the pre-order bonuses. The copy from GMG does. So, you can decide is the DLC is worth $4 to you... (I'd say yes!)

Thanks a bunch! Am getting BL2 (+Premier Club DLC) for $36! Very nice instead of $59.99 on Steam.

Back