Should I invest in a LaCie 5Big 5TB

Probably 5 x 1TB internal drives. Of course, that's without redundancy and not the "true" capacity of the drives, so if you want redundancy, assume 3.8TB or so.

well you have to figure about $100 for each drive and the rest of the hardware would about to about $700 in itself... the unit is quiet (SO THEY CLAIM) low power cumsumption, and has several enticing features. i'm wondering if anyone here has one that can post their 2 cents.

i'm really interested in one.

thank you!

why is it anytime people post about Drobos of NAS devices ppl flock to point out how much more inexpensive a "big honking machine in the middle of the living space" is as a solution. i'm not interested in a noisy machine with an OS and the extra fluff. I am quite fond of these new solutions. and find them adequately priced for the their low profile and functionality.

I am simply looking to hear from some users who may have purchased one, looking to dump all my HD movies and TV shows in there to serve up the house also how scalable is it? stuff like that.

thanks!

why is it anytime people post about Drobos of NAS devices ppl flock to point out how much more inexpensive a "big honking machine in the middle of the living space" is as a solution. i'm not interested in a noisy machine with an OS and the extra fluff. I am quite fond of these new solutions. and find them adequately priced for the their low profile and functionality.

I am simply looking to hear from some users who may have purchased one, looking to dump all my HD movies and TV shows in there to serve up the house also how scalable is it? stuff like that.

thanks!

Couple draw backs:

1. If the unit dies you have to buy a complete new one just to recover your data. They are usually proprietary, no user replaceable parts.

2. Very slow writes "Operational Trans. Rate(ave. drive speed): 10/100/1000 Base-TX Ethernet: 12-16 MB/s write; 10/100/1000 Base-TX Ethernet: 22-32 MB/s read". For gigE anyhow.

Other than that it looks to be better than some of the other units I've seen.

Couple draw backs:

1. If the unit dies you have to buy a complete new one just to recover your data. They are usually proprietary, no user replaceable parts.

2. Very slow writes "Operational Trans. Rate(ave. drive speed): 10/100/1000 Base-TX Ethernet: 12-16 MB/s write; 10/100/1000 Base-TX Ethernet: 22-32 MB/s read". For gigE anyhow.

Other than that it looks to be better than some of the other units I've seen.

thanks, didn't know they were proprietary, i thought i could simply swap the dead HD with a oem one, this is a major drawback

are there any alternatives at this capacity and pricepoint, i do not wanna have to build one from scratch? :(

Oh great now are you implying that gigE speeds are too slow to playback a 1080P mkv file off of it? I don't plan on moving lotsa data in and out of it really, my movies and tv shows will simply live on this box and maybe a system backup every now and then.

thanks alot for the info!

22MB a second is more than enough to smoothly playback 1080p x264 streams with, most of them run about 6 to 8 MB a second. However, copying these 8+GB files to the unit at 12-16MB a second will be a very slow process, as 15MB a second translates into about 900MB a minute, meaning that a 9GB file (single 1080p movie) will take 10 minutes or so to copy. This in my opinion is unacceptably slow for any modern HD based storage system.

Dustin

Sorry, a miscalc on the bitrate for 1080p x264. It ranges usually from 2 to 5MB a second, not 6 to 8 as I put before (was still kinda sleepy).

Dustin

Back