Should I reinstall windows with a new build?

tpfaff

2[H]4U
Just finished up a new build and I can not get windows to boot. It finishes the boot animation in windows 7 and then immediately blue screens, the blue screens only there for a fraction of a second so I can't read the errors. Anyways, I'm able to boot into ubuntu just fine so there's no problem with the hardware.... I guess I need to reinstall windows?

My recommendation is always do a clean install with a new build, but some folks will prefer to do it the hard way I suppose. In the time it takes some people to troubleshoot similar issues to what you just described, I can install the OS nice and fresh and all my apps too which is a lot more beneficial in my opinion.

More than likely the BSODs are being caused by a potential issue between the old installation and the new build related specifically to the storage controller. One thing you can try is to go into the BIOS on the new build and set the SATA controller for "Compatibility" or IDE mode - if that allows it to boot completely into Windows as normally as it used to (and expect the hardware detection to kick in when it gets to the Desktop), there ya go.

It's ok to run a drive or drives in Compatibility/IDE mode; you'd need to do some research on finding out how to enable AHCI mode (native SATA) or you'll get those BSODs every time you try to go back to that mode of operation.

And of course, there could be something else causing those BSODs, but the most likely culprit is a mismatch because of the storage controller.

Of course, a clean fresh install resolves all those issues the first time out... ;)

Haha sounds like it's easier to reinstall.:) Downloading the iso right now... the suspense is killing me!

For future reference, if you do get those "instant BSODs" that happen during the boot process and they reboot the machine so fast you can't spot the error, the next time it reboots, press F8 after POST and at the bottom of the screen will be an option to disable the "reboot on errors/BSOD/etc" option (can't remember the precise wording at this moment).

After you select that, it'll disable that instant reboot thing so the BSOD stays there and you can hopefully get enough info to discern what the actual problem is, and then do a hard reset of the machine.

Good luck with the new install...

Back