should i sell my 9800p to buy 6600gt?

this1tear

n00b
i'm thinking about selling my 128mb 9800 pro to my friend for about $200 (probably less not sure what the going price for a used is) and buying a 6600gt . i know i'll have to spend more cash so i wonder if it's worth the difference. i'm an nvidia fan, but when i was building my computer some time ago, the FX was crap, so i went with the ati.. so now with the 6 series it seems like a good time to go back. any suggestions?

Personally i would say yes.As the 6600GT is quite an impressive little card even if it is an 8 pipelined card ;) It just has alround better newer Architecture than the 9800Pro.So i think you will se quite a nice jump in performance ;)

It seems like you'de be going from a 98 corvette to a 00 Mustang. What games are you playing? My friend has a 9800 OCed to XT and it woops the shit out of my other friends 6800 256mb card. I have a 9600XT I get around 25-65fps his 9800XT gets 200fps

While the 6800gt is a good 3D gaming card, the 9800 Pro is good enough that if you have an otherwise strong system, I'd wait for the next generation unless there's a game you can't play satisfactorily. At that point, you might want to consider a PCIe setup anyway.

Edit: You said 6600GT, my bad. I definitely would not update in this case. Performance difference is there, but not enough to justify for the time being, IMHO.

I wouldnt get a new card, id really keep that 9800pro until you need a new card. What will happen is, in a while the 6600GT you bought will be just as out dated as the 9800pro and you would need an upgrade anyway so keep that 9800pro and Overclock it.

I had a Geforce 4 TI4200 and a few months ago i got a 9800pro, i am a hardcore gamer and the 9800pro has alot of power in it, its still a very good card. It may seem poor compared to the other cards but dont let that bring you down.

I would not recommend the upgrade either. The 9800pro is still a good card. You might get a little bit of a performance boost, nothing that will be very noticeable however. I would wait and save yourself a bit of money until the next generation is released, then go all out.

Yes the 6600GT is quite a bit faster. I did the switch from my 9800 Pro to a 6600GT for my Mini Pc and it is faster and a little bit smaller and it runs cooler too. Was gonna go with 6800-Vanilla, but the 6600GT has about the same performance and would work with that tiny PSU. Everything runs just plain smoother and faster with the 6600GT. Oh and a 9800XT gets whomped by a 6600 GT so I really don't see a 9800 Pro OC'ed to XT coming anywere near a 6800. Their may be some ATI demo's that run better on a 9800XT but overall a 6800 is faster. Before anyone argues, I own:

9500 Pro
9600 Pro
9700 Pro
9800 Pro

Geforce 6600 GT
Geforce 6800 GT

I'm pretty much unbaised when it come's to anything. I'll tell ya the 5-series was complete and utter garbage. The fact that a 9600XT was faster then the GeForce FX 5950 in some application is just plain sad. Glad nVidia came to their senses.

The difference between a 9800 and a 6600gt is like the difference between a 9600 and a 9600xt. It's not worth it. Your not going to be able to get more then $150 for this card, and you probably won't even get that much. Keep it until later. Upgrade when you need to, because as someone said, the 9800 and 6600 are in the same league. Just wait a few months and you can get something that is truly better.

I just sold my 9800 pro 128mb for 150.00 and bought the 6800nu deal at BestBuy. I was lucky enough that the pipelines and vertex unit unlocked with no problems. I would say a 6800nu or better is a good upgrade. I woudln't upgrade to the 6600gt either.

i would defenatly go for the differance.... you can sell your 9800 pro for $150-200 depending on who u sell it to... making the differance in cards close to $75....
the differance in speed is about a 15% upgrade from the 9800 pro to the 6600gt... but that isnt the main reason to upgrade... the main reason to upgrade is that the GeForce 6600 and 6800 series cards visually look better than the 9800 series... i say this from experiance as i have purchased a 9800 pro, 9800 xt, 6600gt, and 6800nu. if you want to upgrade your visual experiance... do it.

i say if ur not tight on cash then get it. if u are then wait since ur 9800 pro is still very acceptable in games.

i just sold my 9800pro to buy a 6800np. personally, i feel its a much better purchase than going for a 6600gt. think about it, sli won't be a factor and you'll be able to overclock more with the 6800 than with the 6600gt. The chance of unlocking pipelines also makes it a much better choice

cody, i had a choice to get any card i wanted pretty much and i chose the 6800 nu for the same reasons. ALMOST risk free unlocking the shader and 6 extra pipes and success rates is very high. not to mention it cost another 200(got mine at CUSA deal BF) to get a GT. it made me basicly run in the store to grab one cuz it was 200 that day. even tho PNY isn't the best company, u can't beat the price.

shade said:
cody, i had a choice to get any card i wanted pretty much and i chose the 6800 nu for the same reasons. ALMOST risk free unlocking the shader and 6 extra pipes and success rates is very high. not to mention it cost another 200(got mine at CUSA deal BF) to get a GT. it made me basicly run in the store to grab one cuz it was 200 that day. even tho PNY isn't the best company, u can't beat the price.

Can't beat it if all the caps are on securely

Glow said:
It seems like you'de be going from a 98 corvette to a 00 Mustang. What games are you playing? My friend has a 9800 OCed to XT and it woops the shit out of my other friends 6800 256mb card. I have a 9600XT I get around 25-65fps his 9800XT gets 200fps

lol about ur 9800p OC'ed to XT speeds and whupping the shit outta ur friends 6800 256mb :)

would it be worth it if i go for a 6800nu? though i hear that a lot of them are really LEs and can't unlock the pipes. i don't really want to drop extra cash if i don't have to.. especially since a ram upgrade seems like a better choice.
i don't know why i want a nvidia so much.. could be the marketing machine.. or it's that i just miss my geforce2u. :p

I would just wait cause thats the card I have and I can play games just fine. The new cards should be out around the first few months of next year and that is when Im going to upgrade. $300 - $500 on a single video card is just too damned much to only improve by one generation. If your gonna spend that kind of cash go for the generation after.

get the 6800nu. there's not that much difference between the 9800 and the 6600 other than the 6600's a little faster and has PS 3.0 but a smaller memory bus width. the 6800 has 4 more pixel pipelines and 5 vertex processors. you should see the other similar posts asking this same question. lots of good answers.

technically i would be spending somewhere around $130 for a 6800nu because i'll get $200 from selling my 9800pro. seems like a good deal... but i'm still uncertain.

PNY is a pretty shitty company imo, but hey, i was one of the first to buy the cards. i didn't see the thread ofc since i was outside waitin on line till when i got home. ofc my card was a defective as well. i took it back and just asked for another one. i would've gotten a refund if my second card was defective but it turned out ok. but still, gettin a defective card is one thing. but like 50 ppl gettin defective cards all in 1 day? thats a bit much and that is why i question PNY's quality...

Well I'll tell you what I've told everyone who's ask the same thing... I run my 6800NU which is the BFG 6800oc @ 1600X1200 with max details in all my games, including Doom 3 on ULTRA! quality. They're all playable and look incredible. You won't regret the 6800nu as its a fantastic value at $250 or in your case less money. You might wait another 4 months for the 6950/7000 series to come out and drop the prices of the higher end 6800's but the nu is a very strong performer.

Glow said:

The guy with the 6800 getting whooped doesn't have it set up right or his other components are bottlenecking it, becaus I have a 9800 overclocked to XT speeds and it runs at lower resolution and still gets lower FPS than my non ultra 6800. The 6800 series WAY outperforms the 9800, not to say either is a bad card, since ive got both in my systems.

I agree. As for right now, going from a 9800 to a 6600 is a lateral move as far as I'm concerned. Either go 6800 or wait a bit.

to tell u guys the truth. the 9800 pro was good for its time which was back then. but when u compare a 200 dollar vcard ruffly against a card that can be bought for 200 as well(big sales like BF). or for the regular price of 250 which is only 50 bucks more for a card basicly like 10x's faster. i think the 9800 is crap now for its price. i mean a 6600 GT is even pretty kick ass compared to the 9800 pro. realize this im not sayin the 9800 pro is a bad card, don't get me wrong its a great card. but right now for its price compared to the other cards which are almost priced the same. its a crappy card.

very well said haha except for the 10x faster part :) the 6600gt is faster.. but not anywhere near 50%.. with the exception of doom3 i think..

Don't lose sight of the fact that we're not deciding between BUYING a 9800 or 6600.

We're discussing the efficacy of moving FROM a 9800 TO a 6600.

Not worth the cash/hassle, IMHO.

Overclock the beJebus out of the 9800 and wait a bit before you upgrade. Besides, you'd be screwing your buddy over if you sold him a used 9800 for two hundred bucks.

Not worth it for a 6600gt. Though, if you can get $200 for you 9800pro, that's pretty good and I wouldn't pass it up. I honestly wouldn't pay more than $150 for a 9800pro. Seeing how a 6800nu cost $300 or less and is already 30% faster than a XT 9800.

Here's a good price on a BFG 6800OC $250:
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4082672?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

A good store, was instock for a while, call to check when they will get it in. That's a great price, lets hope you friend doesn't see that when he's about to spend $200 on a 9800pro.

I had bought the Leadtek 6800nu which has a decent bundle, copper on both sides, and all the cables and adapters you need:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-122-193&depa=0

Its depressing that there hasn't been a resonably priced upgrade to the 9700pro/9800pro in years o_0

Well, the 6600gt is getting there price wise, but compared to previous performance jumps for the dollar - still not competitive.

Prices need to start dropping on these cards - or ati needs to make a modern 200-250USD card that doesn't suck.

I am currently trying to decide what to recomend for my brothers new rig. The 9700p hes got just keeps on going and the only way for him to get a worthy upgrade is to spend 300-400. I guess he can go with a 6800nu, but his favorite game is HL2 and he could care less for Doom3. dosent seem like he will see a worthwile improvement.

I dunno what Valve's deal is with HL2, but I wouldn't buy a graphics card just for one game. If you can't sell that 9700 for good money its not gonna be a bad card to keep til the 6800's prices drop more. The current ATI's are just like the 9xxx series on steroids. Evolutionary changes, nothing radical like the 6 series of Nvidias is.

am i really ripping him off? i don't want scam him.. he was looking for an upgrade and i saw ati's list price for 9800p was 250, a few other places had that price too.

I don't usually upgrade parts frequently.. hell, my last computer was a 450mhz p3 that i upgraded 2 years ago and my gf2u upgraded just last year.

i play a few opengl games.. COD and the original HL engine mods. but i don't want to cheat a friend for some fps and a few bux. i saw that deal at bestbuy and then looked at the date and the only thing i can say is.. damn. :p

deadman_uk said:
I had a Geforce 4 TI4200 and a few months ago i got a 9800pro, i am a hardcore gamer and the 9800pro has alot of power in it, its still a very good card. It may seem poor compared to the other cards but dont let that bring you down.

Same here. I swaped my Leaktek ti42 for a MSI RX9800pro in augest. It was a very nice boost for a great price ($292CAD). Towards the end of november i blew it out cuz i replaceed the cooler and left some of the stock silver-based TIM on some of the leads by the core :( Anyway, i RMA'd it and its in processing right now.

I hope i get a new one but if not i'm currently decideding over getting another 9800, or going back to sweet nividia with a 6600GT or a 6800nu and hopping to get an unlockable one.

Anyone know whihc brand is more likely to get a sucessful unlock? And whats this about a price drop? When are they new nividias hitting the shelves?

this1tear said:
i'm thinking about selling my 128mb 9800 pro to my friend for about $200 (probably less not sure what the going price for a used is) and buying a 6600gt . i know i'll have to spend more cash so i wonder if it's worth the difference. i'm an nvidia fan, but when i was building my computer some time ago, the FX was crap, so i went with the ati.. so now with the 6 series it seems like a good time to go back. any suggestions?

6600GT is better but probably not worth spending cash on. If you can snag a 6800nu on the other hand, that would be worth it.

Just my 2 cents, I replaced a 9800pro running @ XT speeds with a Leadtek 6800nu. The 9800pro ran faster. But, I only play LOMAC which is a DX8 sim and is poorly optimized. I've found if I OC my cpu to my unstable point (Barton @ 2.4Ghz), the 6800 just about equals the 9800pro. So, make of that what you will. And if you think the 6800 isn't set up correctly, you're wrong. It's just that LOMAC is very hard on hardware, and if you run it at a decent resolution with AA/AF on, the 6800 simply isn't a better card. Of course, in other games, the 6800 might blow the doors off the pro. I guess my point is, vid card performance can be specific to a game, and if you make a vid card upgrade that isn't very big, make sure you are bottlenecked by your old vidcard. Otherwise, you won't see an improvement at all.

If the 9800pro is running OK, don't get anything below a 6800GT or X800pro VIVO. Or maybe an X800XL when they hit the shelves.

I don't know why your 6800 sucks but I use my 6800nu at 1600X1200 and still get teh same or better FPS than the 9800 pro @ XT at 1280x1024. The x800 pro is on a level below the 6800GT. its only got 12 pipelines, costs 400 dollars, and performs worse than a 6800 non ultra. Look at the benchmarks on www.hardocp.com

Glow said:
My friend has a 9800 OCed to XT and it woops the shit out of my other friends 6800 256mb card. I have a 9600XT I get around 25-65fps his 9800XT gets 200fps

i seriously doubt that since a 6600 GT 'woops' the shit out of a 9800xt.

its probably like your buddy w/ the 9800 has a 3.4 gig processor, 1 gig of ram

while the 6800 guy has a 2.3 gig processor and 768 ram.

put that 6800 in the 9800 box adn be blown away.

Yeah there are a lot of people who don't know how to use their drivers or are just such fanb0ys that they won't admit that something from the brand they don't own could be good. The 6600GT DOES whoop a 9800XT. The 6800nu whoops the 9800 as well as the lower end x800's like the pro and the regular. The x800 is basically last generation technology and you'd be better off buying a 9800 pro for cheap than getting a new x800.

this1tear said:
am i really ripping him off? i don't want scam him.. he was looking for an upgrade and i saw ati's list price for 9800p was 250, a few other places had that price too.

I don't usually upgrade parts frequently.. hell, my last computer was a 450mhz p3 that i upgraded 2 years ago and my gf2u upgraded just last year.

i play a few opengl games.. COD and the original HL engine mods. but i don't want to cheat a friend for some fps and a few bux. i saw that deal at bestbuy and then looked at the date and the only thing i can say is.. damn. :p

I hope my comment didn't make you feel that way. Your right on with the pricing, I just don't believe in the current list price from ATI as it hasn't lowered enough to reflect current cards. For example, the 9800XT was still $500 at stores with a next generation card next to it for less money and almost twice the speed back when the X800 cards were new. They've lowered their old cards some, but not enough. If he walks into BestBuy the 9800pro is $250, maybe $200 if they have rebates during a weekend sale every other month.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
Yeah there are a lot of people who don't know how to use their drivers or are just such fanb0ys that they won't admit that something from the brand they don't own could be good. The 6600GT DOES whoop a 9800XT. The 6800nu whoops the 9800 as well as the lower end x800's like the pro and the regular. The x800 is basically last generation technology and you'd be better off buying a 9800 pro for cheap than getting a new x800.

that is complete, utter bullshit. The 6800nu is handed its ass by the x800 pro. Of course, the x800 pro costs a bit over a hundred more, but your still fucking dead wrong.

Back