Should I sell my A64 4000+ and replace it with a A64 3800+ x2?

BS911

Limp Gawd
I know the x2's are pretty overclockable. Thinking about selling my 4000+ and getting the dual core chip. Your thoughts? Would it be worth doing?

Why? What do you do with your computers, games, work, multitask, graphics, etc. If you just game then your processor should be fine. But if you see yourself doing a lot of things at one time, the x2 3800+ are great. I love mine.

i typically multi-task quite heavily between work related stuff and gaming. My PC typically is using between 700MB - 1GB of memory at any given time between all the stuff I have running. I have 2GB of memory so that isn't a bottleneck but there is quite a lot running.

Would I see a noticeable increase in the "snapiness & smoothness" of my PC? That is what I'm looking for!

Darn i would not do this.
But i guess i don't multitask like you.
I miss my gosh damn AMD64 4000+ :(

HDBox2d1 said:
Darn i would not do this.
But i guess i don't multitask like you.
I miss my gosh damn AMD64 4000+ :(

What did you switch to that you are unhappy with? Will switching to the x2 hamper anything I'm used to? Seem slike everything would be as fast or faster?

BS911 said:
What did you switch to that you are unhappy with? Will switching to the x2 hamper anything I'm used to? Seem slike everything would be as fast or faster?

Only if you overclock it to the 4000+ speeds would it seem as fast. Otherwise you would lose some performance in games, but would make up for it in the "snappiness" that you want in multitasking.

you have no clue the satisfaction i have recieved from my 4400+ X2, which is 2.2 Ghz stock, I went from a 2.6 Ghz OC'd newcastle core A64, sure initially I was pissed my chip couldn't OC worth a damn and I lost 400 Mhz of power, but god, having that extra core just makes things feel ssooooooo much better.

do it and you won't regret it, especially with those 2gb of ram you have just like me.

The performance of the 4000+ overall is better than the x3800 (or so i've read?) The 4000+ probably have a better overclocking ability and are also better for gaming... I would definately keep it rather than going through the hassle of selling it and buying another chip.. that will run slower (except a slight difference in multitasking)

BS911 said:

No, i did not switch processors.
I am unhappy b/c i don't have the computer running. Its sitting in the closet.

Interesting discussion so far. Some seem to think the x2 will make the PC run much smoother, others seem to think the 4000+ is faster!

What to do! :confused: :D

Oh4Sh0 said:
The performance of the 4000+ overall is better than the x3800 (or so i've read?) The 4000+ probably have a better overclocking ability and are also better for gaming... I would definately keep it rather than going through the hassle of selling it and buying another chip.. that will run slower (except a slight difference in multitasking)

Yes but would the 4000+ be better for gaming given the typical load on my PC at any given time? Just one of the questions I'm trying to figure out!

BS911 said:
Interesting discussion so far. Some seem to think the x2 will make the PC run much smoother, others seem to think the 4000+ is faster!

What to do! :confused: :D

What's so hard to understand? The CPUs have strengths in different areas. If you can't comprehend your own computing habits, then buy the 3800+ without selling your 4000+ first and sell the chip you don't like.

Both are great processors and the best one depends on your habits. Ask yourself what is more important, your gaming or everything else?

I completely understand that the CPU's have their own strengths. I'm just gathering user input to give me a better understanding pre-purchase of what to expect.

I may just order it and test it out like you said but my biggest concern was that upgrading to the x2 would not even be worth my time.

People have been getting pretty good overclocks on the 3800+'s I would do it. If there is any difference I would sacrafice a couple of fps for the multitasking.

I ordered the CPU. As stated above, worst case I can always return it or sell it.

One thing I noticed is that the L2 cache is split between the cores giving each core 512k. What exactly does this affect in terms of speed compared to my 4000+ having 1024K L2 cahce?

It should be similar to your 4000+ cache, the link is fast between the cores. And it may seem like you multitask a lot, but if your processes don't use cpu, then you might not need the X2. But hell, go for it.

We will see what happens. I'll run some benchmarks and such tonight and then compare tomorrow when I get the new CPU. I got it overnighted of course! :)

Oh, one other question....

I'm running 2GB Corsair XMS Twin-X PC3200 (3-3-3-8) memory on a Asus A8V-E motherboard. Should I have any problems overclocking this with those given components?

I upgraded from an overclocked 3500+ to a x2 3800+. The difference is nice while I multitask. Also, I got my x2 up to 2.6GHz, which isn't bad for depending on 2 processors to overclock. It doesn't peak higher than 41 degrees celcius either which is wquite a bit cooler than my Newcastle 3500+. Just my experience so far, I'm still waiting for a few parts (new ram, video card back from eVGA, XiFi) for the full experience.

BS911 said:
We will see what happens. I'll run some benchmarks and such tonight and then compare tomorrow when I get the new CPU. I got it overnighted of course! :)

Oh, one other question....

I'm running 2GB Corsair XMS Twin-X PC3200 (3-3-3-8) memory on a Asus A8V-E motherboard. Should I have any problems overclocking this with those given components?

Depending on how high the ram will go, the motherboard should be fine.

Cool, I'm hoping to get atleast 2.4 out of it since thats what my 4000+ is currently running at.

Thanks for the help & discussion all. I'll try to post an update tomorrow on the turnout!

serbiaNem said:
Depending on how high the ram will go, the motherboard should be fine.

I have the 3800 on a A8V, which is a K8T800Pro chipset, but I would check the site to see if the K8T890 board you have supports X2's.

I can't really comment, as i went from a 2800 A64 to the 3800, and even though in games it is the equivalent of a 3200 venice, I really like it.

From what the overclockers tell me, you should be able to get about 2.7 ghz out of it, which would PWN your 4000. That extra speed would make up for the cache difference.

But don't forget that multithreaded games and video card drivers are coming, which could mean a defined advantage for any X2.

x2 runs great on a8v.

Just grab the latest bios and you are set.

2.4ghz is pretty much garounteed to be reached by the x2 3800. your A8V will like 240htt using the 3:2 (I think... it's the one that workes out to actual 10/12) divider for 200mhz RAM... make sure you bump the HTT multi down one notch.

you may or may not need a slight voltage increase. don't be scared of giving the chip a little extra voltage for stability.

enjoy your chip.

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did not think about the -E part of your a8v. the previous poster is saying it is k8t890 chipset (the board has PCI express?)... that does not and will not ever support the x2.

I wrote my post thinking you had an a8v agp board (with k8t800pro)

Yashu said:
x2 runs great on a8v.

Just grab the latest bios and you are set.

2.4ghz is pretty much garounteed to be reached by the x2 3800. your A8V will like 240htt using the 3:2 (I think... it's the one that workes out to actual 10/12) divider for 200mhz RAM... make sure you bump the HTT multi down one notch.

you may or may not need a slight voltage increase. don't be scared of giving the chip a little extra voltage for stability.

enjoy your chip.

Thank you for the tips! I'm sure that will be helpful tomorrow when I start playing around with it!

Just thought I would come back with a followup now that I finally have the 3800+ x2 up and running!

I'm very satisfied with the overall performance. Games seem to run "as good" as with the 4000+ and Windows runs like a dream! I've not tried overclocking it yet but that will be the next step. I ended up purchased the ASUS A8N-SLI which seems to be a great board.

I'll let you know how the OC goes! :)

Testing some OC'ing now. Seems stable at 2.4!!! Couldn't be happier!

FSB = 240
Multiplier = 10
RAM = DDR333
CPU Volt = 1.35
Memory Volt = 2.65

That all sound ok? (I don't want to fry anything!) :)

Did you play games long enough to see no difference or did you just play them like 5 mintues and make a decision? I'd like to know because I was in a debate weather to get a 4000 or the 3800x2. I ended up ordering the x2.
[V]ad[H]atte(r):
How does you gaming experience compare going from the 3500 to the 3800x2? That's what I'm upgrading from and to.

I just played Battlefield 2 for over an hour straight and my CPU temp peaked at 53C with the stock HS/Fan.

Seems rock solid and overall system perfomance seems a lot snappier than the A64 4000+.

From the looks of it I guess I made a better choice not getting a 4000. Especially since you already had a 4000 (mine is 3500) and mention no noticable visual loss in gaming experience. That's good to know.

I honestly don't notice a loss in anything. Everything seems to be running AWESOME! :)

Back