Should I switch my order to the Droid X?

whisper

Limp Gawd
I ordered my Droid Incredible on June 17th but with all the delays I have no clue when I'll actually get it. VZW says it will ship on July 15th but I guess we'll see. Plus, I heard that HTC is not using the Samsung AMOLED display anymore on the Incredible due to shortages and was forced to substitute LCD. That's one less thing cool about the Incredible:(

So, the Droid X is starting to look pretty nice. Anyone else here in a similar boat with an Incredible on order? Should I cancel and then get the Droid X on July 15th? I think VZW has confirmed they will not charge a fee for canceling your Incredible order if you decide to get the Droid X instead. Just wondering what y'all would do since this is my first android phone. Is the HTC sense experience worth waiting for?

Droid X, if you're ok with the larger phone size. But I don't like HTC Sense, so that is why I'd wait.

Funny thing is, I might actually end up waiting longer for the Incredible the way things are looking now. Droid X is guaranteed to be available on July 15th, no such guarantee with the Incredible right now.

Where are you able to order the Droid X that they are guaranteeing availability on the 15th? I'm trying to find a place to get mine but Best Buy isn't taking preorders anymore.

I don't see why people think the AMOLED display is that great? If anything the Sony Super TFT LCD will be an upgrade from the AMOLED display. You'll actually have colors accurately represented and have the ability to see the display in direct sunlight now. Power usage is the same so no increase in battery usage with it either.

Having said that though, I would still get the Droid X as long as you don't mind the size. It will prolly have 2.2 before the incredible too (scheduled in August, not confirmed though). Have they even started rumors on when the Incredible will have 2.2 yet?

Where are you able to order the Droid X that they are guaranteeing availability on the 15th? I'm trying to find a place to get mine but Best Buy isn't taking preorders anymore.

I don't think you can pre-order it anywhere but it has a firm release date for 7/15. It might sell fast but I'm assuming if you purchased it on that morning, you could be assured of getting it. The catch is that VZW won't let me switch my order (there are no pre-orders), but I can simply cancel my Incredible order with no fee and then take my chances on the 15th with the Droid X. So yeah, this is part of the dilemma for me.

I don't see why people think the AMOLED display is that great? If anything the Sony Super TFT LCD will be an upgrade from the AMOLED display. You'll actually have colors accurately represented and have the ability to see the display in direct sunlight now. Power usage is the same so no increase in battery usage with it either.

Having said that though, I would still get the Droid X as long as you don't mind the size. It will prolly have 2.2 before the incredible too (scheduled in August, not confirmed though). Have they even started rumors on when the Incredible will have 2.2 yet?

Apparently HTC has confirmed that the Incredible, and most Android phones released in 2010, will get froyo sometime in 2010. At least that's what I read here. But yeah, Droid X will most likely get it sooner.

Interesting info about AMOLED vs. LCD. But I guess as you said, it's not just any LCD, it's the Sony Super TFT. I guess either would be fine and I'm sure I'd be happy with the display either way. The size is another good point - looking at the Droid X reviews and videos it seems great having such a nice big display, but none of these videos actually show the person trying to shove the thing in their jeans pocket. I'm accustomed to smaller phones (Moto Razr, Samsung alias and BB pearl are among my previous models) so it would definitely take some getting used to.

AMOLED is still the superior for color reproduction, especially black levels. It's still more power efficient.

Here's a little rundown:
OLEDs enable a greater range of colours, gamut, brightness, contrast (both dynamic range and static) and viewing angle than LCDs because OLED pixels directly emit light. OLED pixel colours appear correct and unshifted, even as the viewing angle approaches 90 degrees from normal. LCDs use a backlight and cannot show true black, while an off OLED element produces no light and consumes no power. Energy is also wasted in LCDs because they require polarizers that filter out about half of the light emitted by the backlight.

Also, the daytime thing... The TFT is "equal" at best, not better:
screensvs1.png

Will most people notice or care for these differences? No. But AMOLED is still the preferred screen.

the black levels of the amoled on the incredible were awesome, plasma like, but the phone that the droid x is over the incredible is well worth losing that small difference...plus for people complaining of the size of the droid x it is extremely thin and do you remember the sheer girth most phones had just a couple years back? To complain of the width of a .4 inch thick phone is a little nit picky to me.

I'd certainly get the Droid X.

The question was about the display tho... Buy an early one = AMOLED screen or wait = TFT.

the black levels of the amoled on the incredible were awesome, plasma like, but the phone that the droid x is over the incredible is well worth losing that small difference...plus for people complaining of the size of the droid x it is extremely thin and do you remember the sheer girth most phones had just a couple years back? To complain of the width of a .4 inch thick phone is a little nit picky to me.

I haven't heard anyone complain about the depth/thickness of the phone; most talk about the area/length*width of the phone. I'm coming from an LG Dare, and it took me a while to get used to the size of that. The Droid X seems like it would fold in half in my pocket first time I sit down.

Very interesting dilemma OP, I'll be very interested in your final choice. I'm due for a new phone in Sept. and I'm looking for an upgrade from my Dare. I like it, but I want something a little quicker, and still have the touch-screen stuff. It's a guilty pleasure :3

Very interesting dilemma OP, I'll be very interested in your final choice. I'm due for a new phone in Sept. and I'm looking for an upgrade from my Dare. I like it, but I want something a little quicker, and still have the touch-screen stuff. It's a guilty pleasure :3

Lots of new devices out by then, unless you're tied to Verizon.

Android progresses fast. I think it's safe to say every 3-4 months, your phone is outdated.

AMOLED is still the superior for color reproduction, especially black levels. It's still more power efficient.

Here's a little rundown:

Also, the daytime thing... The TFT is "equal" at best, not better:

Will most people notice or care for these differences? No. But AMOLED is still the preferred screen.

In contrast ratio is really the only advantage over the LCD. On phones I've seen with the AMOLED, it seems to exaggerate colors in order to make it seem more vibrant, but ends up displaying colors inaccurately by doing so. There was a pic on Droid Life where I saw the comparisons, I can't find it right now, but I'll edit if I find it. Here's an article though I just found though that supports what I say. The Nexus One and Incredible share the same AMOLED screen.

Sony is also claiming it consumes less power and offers higher resolution with their LCDs. But I'm sure the differences are negligible between the two.

In direct sunlight, maybe the Super AMOLED (like on the Galaxy S in that pic) is equal, but compared to the regular AMOLED in the Incredible, Sony's LCD is definitely easier to see in sunlight as seen here (not beating it by much, but it makes the difference between usable and unusable, I think). That pic seems skewed from this video (which is the source of the pic) where you can get a better idea of performance.

Last edited:
In direct sunlight, maybe the Super AMOLED (like on the Galaxy S in that pic) is equal, but compared to the regular AMOLED in the Incredible, Sony's LCD is definitely easier to see in sunlight as seen here (not beating it by much, but it makes the difference between usable and unusable, I think). That pic seems skewed from this video (which is the source of the pic) where you can get a better idea of performance.

I agree the Sony looked clearer head-on... but as soon as he started tilting the phones around, the Sony lost. The screen seemed to disappear as the viewing angle got wider. I thought that was rather interesting. Granted, we mostly look at phones directly, but I thought it was an interesting occurrence.

TexUs, I'm not tied to Verizon, I choose Verizon ^_^ they've been good to me, the price is acceptable, and I don't have connection problems very often (no dropped calls, just the occasional once-a-month strange initial connection).

In contrast ratio is really the only advantage over the LCD.
Besides the fact it's better outdoor viewing, consumes less power, and actually shows true blacks?

Sony is also claiming it consumes less power and offers higher resolution with their LCDs. But I'm sure the differences are negligible between the two.
Yes, because as we see with the iPhone 4... Resolution isn't everything. There's only so much resolution you can pack onto a tiny screen before the eye can't tell the difference anymore... The iPhone passed that point. I'm sure both Sony and Samsung could outfit higher res displays if they wanted to, but they realize that it's really a waste of money.

In direct sunlight, maybe the Super AMOLED (like on the Galaxy S in that pic) is equal, but compared to the regular AMOLED
LOL.
We're talking Super AMOLED- not the older AMOLED tech. The old N1 just happened to be in the same video.
When the competition you are slamming proves your point wrong, change what the competition is? :rolleyes:

It's odd how your original, bold claim was it's an "upgrade" from Super AMOLED, and now it's been reduced to "equal"...
There's no real BENEFIT to the TFT at all. There's actually a few benefits to the Super AMOLED.
The only benefit you might be able to argue is the different ways in which they reproduce color. Most EVERYONE you actually talk to that uses an AMOLED screen will quickly affirm how much they prefer it to the TFT.

It's odd how your original, bold claim was it's an "upgrade" from Super AMOLED, and now it's been reduced to "equal"...
There's no real BENEFIT to the TFT at all. There's actually a few benefits to the Super AMOLED.
The only benefit you might be able to argue is the different ways in which they reproduce color. Most EVERYONE you actually talk to that uses an AMOLED screen will quickly affirm how much they prefer it to the TFT.

You're the one who actually changed the comparison from AMOLED to Super AMOLED. The Incredible uses a standard AMOLED display. So if they're forced to replace them with a TFT, whatever they lose in contrast ratio and power efficiency, they'll more than make up for with sheer usability. As in, you'll actually be able to see what's on the screen when outdoors in daylight.

You're the one who actually changed the comparison from AMOLED to Super AMOLED. The Incredible uses a standard AMOLED display.
I stand corrected

So if they're forced to replace them with a TFT, whatever they lose in contrast ratio and power efficiency, they'll more than make up for with sheer usability. As in, you'll actually be able to see what's on the screen when outdoors in daylight.
I don't know if you actually LOOKED at that comparison, but I wouldn't want to use any of those displays outdoors.

Maybe Im just indoors a lot more than everyone else but in a typical 168 hour week I'd venture to guess I spend less than 15 minutes in direct glaring sun looking at my phone screen. I mean really even if Im outdoors watching kids soccer or something Im not looking at my phone. If Im at the park or beach again extremely minimal phone looking. For me these critics of direct sunlight performance mean virtually nil to me

Besides the fact it's better outdoor viewing, consumes less power, and actually shows true blacks?

Now that you know we're talking about AMOLED (not super), all this is wrong except for the contrast ratio as I've already stated.

Yes, because as we see with the iPhone 4... Resolution isn't everything. There's only so much resolution you can pack onto a tiny screen before the eye can't tell the difference anymore... The iPhone passed that point. I'm sure both Sony and Samsung could outfit higher res displays if they wanted to, but they realize that it's really a waste of money.

My point was that it consumes less power (their claim anyways, there's no measurable amount, so I'd say this argument is retarded/negligible), not the resolution piece.

LOL.
We're talking Super AMOLED- not the older AMOLED tech. The old N1 just happened to be in the same video.
When the competition you are slamming proves your point wrong, change what the competition is? :rolleyes:

You've already been corrected about this.

I still claim that the TFT is an upgrade from the standard AMOLED due to it giving better color accuracy and slightly better outdoors visibility. The AMOLED has better viewing angles, but I can't ever recall looking at my phone from the sides or having friends gather around my phone from different angles. There's no evidence that either screen provide less power usage, so I'd stop arguing that.

Now if the Incredible had a Super AMOLED, I think the advantages it has would outweigh the TFT LCD screen. I can see how you'd be so passionate about proving me wrong now that you thought we were talking about the Super AMOLED. But I can see that you like correcting people with anything that's subjective from every other thread you've constantly posted on in this sub-forum, anyways.

Well for those who might be interested I'm going with my original choice of the HTC Incredible. I got my ship notification on Friday and the expected delivery date is Tuesday:D I've read all the reviews, watched a dozen unboxing and other sneak peak/comparison videos of the incredible and droid X and I think the choice is right for me. I guess the few things I will sacrifice are:

a. Larger screen, but imho almost too large on the droid x for a pocket phone.

b. 720p video, which is nice but not a necessity for a phone. My Sony camcorder shoots full 1080p video in Dolby digital 5.1 surround so I'll stick with that for anything that needs to be high quality.

c. AMOLED display, could be a plus or a minus I suppose based on all the discussion here. I don't care too much about direct sunlight which seems to be the biggest strike against.

d. Verizon's mobile hotspot app, which I would never use because I won't pay an extra monthly fee for it. Plus, there are alternatives if I want to do tethering.

Other than that, can't think of much more I'm missing. The Sense UI seems to be integrated very smoothly and the overall user experience just seems more fluid and intuitive on the Incredible. I think the Engadget review summarized it nicely: "To say that this UI is competitive with something like iPhone OS 3.1 (or 4 for that matter), or Palm's webOS is an understatement; in many ways it's superior to what Apple and Palm are offering." Not that I think iOS is the gold standard by any means, but I get what they're trying to say. Anyway, that was my decision and now I'm just psyched to finally get my hands on this thing come Tuesday:)

Well for those who might be interested I'm going with my original choice of the HTC Incredible. I got my ship notification on Friday and the expected delivery date is Tuesday:D I've read all the reviews, watched a dozen unboxing and other sneak peak/comparison videos of the incredible and droid X and I think the choice is right for me. I guess the few things I will sacrifice are:

b. 720p video, which is nice but not a necessity for a phone. My Sony camcorder shoots full 1080p video in Dolby digital 5.1 surround so I'll stick with that for anything that needs to be high quality.

c. AMOLED display, could be a plus or a minus I suppose based on all the discussion here. I don't care too much about direct sunlight which seems to be the biggest strike against.

d. Verizon's mobile hotspot app, which I would never use because I won't pay an extra monthly fee for it. Plus, there are alternatives if I want to do tethering.

Other than that, can't think of much more I'm missing. The Sense UI seems to be integrated very smoothly and the overall user experience just seems more fluid and intuitive on the Incredible. I think the Engadget review summarized it nicely: "To say that this UI is competitive with something like iPhone OS 3.1 (or 4 for that matter), or Palm's webOS is an understatement; in many ways it's superior to what Apple and Palm are offering." Not that I think iOS is the gold standard by any means, but I get what they're trying to say. Anyway, that was my decision and now I'm just psyched to finally get my hands on this thing come Tuesday:)

After returning the EVO, I considered the Incredible, but Sense is the biggest turn off to me. I loved Sense for the first few days, but I got tired of all of the dark colors quickly. After having the EVO for almost a month, I would never purchase another phone with HTC Sense, in its current form, on it. I just find it too dark and gloomy. I much prefer vanilla Android with the white status bar and other light colored interface elements throughout, such as the browser bar. But I agree with you on the size of the Droid X. Based on the pictures, it looks even bigger than the EVO, which I thought was too tight of a fit in my pocket. I really feel that 3.7" is a perfect size screen for a phone. Good luck.

I have an INC and I have to say that it is the BEST (imo) phone out on the market right now (and I've played around with all the top contenders that are on the market right now). The only phone that is probably slightly better is the N1 and the only reason for that is that you get stock android (which you can get on the inc if you root) and you get the fastest updates. But honestly with sense and 2.1 I coudn't ask for a better phone. A lot of people talk trash about sense since it takes so long to intergrate the android updates but let me tell yout it is wayyyyyy better than motoblur or any other manufacture OS. Sense is pretty amazing.

Also, don't worry that your inc doesn't have 720p record............. yet. It's coming with an OTA update in a few weeks.

It'll also get the DROIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD power boot screen with the OTA also.

Pretty cool if you ask me!

Last edited:
After returning the EVO, I considered the Incredible, but Sense is the biggest turn off to me. I loved Sense for the first few days, but I got tired of all of the dark colors quickly. After having the EVO for almost a month, I would never purchase another phone with HTC Sense, in its current form, on it. I just find it too dark and gloomy. I much prefer vanilla Android with the white status bar and other light colored interface elements throughout, such as the browser bar. But I agree with you on the size of the Droid X. Based on the pictures, it looks even bigger than the EVO, which I thought was too tight of a fit in my pocket. I really feel that 3.7" is a perfect size screen for a phone. Good luck.

You can change the wallpaper to any color you like here's a link that that has a whole lot of really "incredible" ones.

You can even change the background colors if you dont' like them with launcher pro.

Back