Should I turn a 6 pin into an 8 pin pci-e connector

edifyingkarma

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I just received my 4870x2 and was told that he would ship it with all of the power adapters. He accidentally sent me 2 6 pin molex adapters however and my power supply only has 2 6 pins connectors already. Since the 4870x2 requires a 6 pin and an 8 pin, I went to buy a molex-to-pci-e adapter and had it overnighted to me. The fucking geniuses from amazon sent me the wrong thing and they don't offer any 8 pin adapters that can be guaranteed prior to the weekend.

My brother has a nice powersupply with an 8 pin connector that he isnt using. We have considered splicing one of his 8 pin connectors in place of my 6 pin by use of wire extensions.

Would anyone care to offer any thoughts as the 8pin connectors are simply a 6 pin wired with 2 addition grounds.

Thanks for the info

AFAIK the 8 pins supply 2x more power at 150W instead of 75W, I've read that it's 2 additional ground pins but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me...I think as long as the cable and the PSU are rated for 150W across those pins it shouls work.

A lot of cards pull only slightly more than 2x6pin worth of power anyway.

Back