Should I uninstall old nvidia driver before installing new one?

oneils

Limp Gawd
Hello, I've noticed that nvidia's release notes for their newer video drivers don't ask that you first uninstall the old driver before installing the new one.

Is this necessary anymore (nvidia use to specifically mention this in their notes).

Thanks.

Yes... and then run drivercleaner....

I never install new drivers without doing so...

I would just to be on the safew side.....When drivers came out like every other day not so long ago, there were and still are programs like driver cleaner, nvhardpage, etc that one could use to remove files that windows sometimes would leave after an uninstall via the add\remove programs list...

I still do the same old thing with driver updates...Takes longer but makes me feel that my install has been done clean...Uninstall the driver, boot into safe mode, use driver cleaner or other program to remove any left driver file, reboot and manuall install the new driver....I have always done it this way, and probably will continue....

If you are just doing minor jumps then it is entirely unnecessary. All of the core files are the same and any updated files will overwrite the ones they are replacing. If you are going from like Forecware 53 to 169 then yeah, it wouldn't hurt. If you are going ATI to Nvidia then you certainly should.. but going from like 169.04 to 169.09? Entirely unnecessary.

If you are just doing minor jumps then it is entirely unnecessary. All of the core files are the same and any updated files will overwrite the ones they are replacing. If you are going from like Forecware 53 to 169 then yeah, it wouldn't hurt. If you are going ATI to Nvidia then you certainly should.. but going from like 169.04 to 169.09? Entirely unnecessary.

I concur with this statement.

Back