Should i upgrade to windows 7

.enigma.

Weaksauce
I have a windows XP and Vista Ultimate license so i can put either of those on my new computer for free.

What i want to know, is should i put vista or xp, or spend the extra money for windows 7

Also, if i were to install vista on the computer first would i be able to buy the upgrade version of windows 7?

Last edited:
Also, if i dont get windows 7, should i go with XP or Vista Ultimate

btw, im getting intel i5 750 with a MSI P55-GD65 motherboard and 4GB of DDR3 RAM

For me I'm a fairly basic user, occasional gaming and general internet, word processing etc. It made sense for me to get windows 7 because I didn't have a usable windows license. In your case you have usable licenses so why pay more? All of my needs could certainly be met by vista etc.

Edit: just be aware of the 32-bit vs. 64-bit for 4 gb memory, you probably are.

Vista over XP, but you might want to go Windows 7, Windows 7 is modern, secure, performant, and likely to be much more popular than Vista, which means better support. And it's a really neat OS, the taskbar is really nice, and overall it's well polished. That's about all I can offer. (and +1 for 64-bit.)

What i want to know, is should i put vista or xp, or spend the extra money for windows 7
It really depends. If it's a pretty beefy machine then it's not really needed since their is almost no difference in performance between Vista and 7 on new hardware.
Also, if i were to install vista on the computer first would i be able to buy the upgrade version of windows 7?
Yes, but you couldn't use Vista Ultimate on another machine. Whatever OS your upgrading, you can't reinstall elsewhere. Some people here have talked about doing that. You're not supposed too. You can buy any 7 Upgrade version.
Also, if i don't get windows 7, should i go with XP or Vista Ultimate
Definitely Vista if you go that route. Really, with the machine you have, you don't need 7 for it's 'lite-ness' but you may want to consider it simply for features. I can't determine if the features are worth it to you since it's just an opinion.

bigdogchris, hit it on the nose. I honestly loved Vista, no issues, but after upgrading to windows 7, I've been in love. The 'light-ness' would have been worth it to me.

I like chris are not in the same boat as you though, not knowing if it's really worth it to you. I also get my OSes for free through my occupation, so price isn't an issue for me.

Back