Should I wait till Cannonlake to upgrade because of DDR4 will be the standard ?

Subzerok11

Gawd
This might have been asked already but when do you think DDR4 will become the standard ? I thought about upgrading to Skylake from my current rig but seeing how Skylake will do both DDR3 and 4 just seems like not a good idea. I've been reading some others people comments saying Skylake having support for both DRR3/4 is not good and should just wait till DDR4 is the only standard. Is there any merit to these negative comments ? Do we know for certain if Cannonlake will be a DDR4 only and if so do you think the DDR4 ram be cheaper by then ? Me personally I think it would better to wait till Cannonlake the DDR4 bugs will be worked out and only dedicated to DDR4. Please correct me if I'm wrong, which probably I am. Thanks

No merit at all to those negative comments. DDR4 will become the standard when Skylake gets released. No one was saying that people should wait until the Penryn release of the C2D CPUs in order to go with a DDR2 based system because of fictional DDR2 bugs. DDR4 RAM has been getting cheaper and cheaper over the past few months. By the time Skylake gets released, it'll be even cheaper. Right now you can get 8GB DDR4 2400 RAM for $87. The cheapest worthwhile DDR3 RAM is around $57 to $59. Two months ago, the same DDR4 2400 RAM was $100. With more time, DDR4 will be even cheaper.

If you want to upgrade and you want DDR4, you can already do that now.

There are Haswell CPU chipsets and motherboards that are already DDR4 ready.

This might have been asked already but when do you think DDR4 will become the standard ?

Skylake will use DDR4. I expect DDR3 on skylake will be not that common. I do not expect many motherboards with both slots if that is even an option.

when we transitioned to DDR3 I remember boards supporting both.
I don't remember hearing of any bugs with it.

Yup, because Intel makes the memory controller, there should be absolutely no cases of "buggy motherboards."

If you're concerted that Intel might have a buggy DDR4 implementation, don't be: Haswell-E has already been shipping with DDR4 support for 8 months now. Intel is just including a DDR3 controller on Skylake to ease the transition for OEMs:

1. Ultrabooks will be DDR3-only, due the fact that DDR3 uses significantly less power. By the next generation after Cannonlake, DDR4 should be low-enough power for tiny notebooks to handle it.

2. For desktops: if DDR3 prices continue to be lower than DDR4, OEMs can use the memory flexibility to their advantage in sourcing lower-priced components.

If you want to be sure there are no recalls (ala Sandy Bridge), just wait a few months before you buy Skylake. The annoying issues tend to come to the surface quickly.

I sold both my systems in the last few months (only PC left is a newish laptop). I intend to buy only DDR4 moving forward and I'll be jumping into Skylake as soon as it's released.

I thought I read that current implementation of DDR4 isn't taking full advantage of the DDR4 full potential. Is this true at all ? I thought I've read reviews that compared DDR3 VS DDR4 and the speed diff was negligible. Now keep in mind that probably was on older boards. So I assume on skylake or even broadwell the diff in speed should definitely be better, correct ?

I thought I read that current implementation of DDR4 isn't taking full advantage of the DDR4 full potential. Is this true at all ? I thought I've read reviews that compared DDR3 VS DDR4 and the speed diff was negligible. Now keep in mind that probably was on older boards. So I assume on skylake or even broadwell the diff in speed should definitely be better, correct ?

It doesn't really matter whatever the situation: With current Intel CPUs, there's not that major of a difference between DDR3 1600 and DDR3 3000 in most apps and games. So I wouldn't expect that the jump from DDR3 to DDR4 would gain any sort of performance increase either. Intel CPUs aren't lacking when it comes to memory bandwidth. Basically, they're not designed to be totally dependent on memory frequency for performance.

Right, memory speed stopped being a primary limit on processor performance once Intel and AMD introduced fast on die l2 cache and integrated memory controller.

Im a DDR 4 guy + 5960x (see sig). I've had 0 troubles with it, with the sole exception of having to manually set the mem speed to 2400, even though its rated at 3000. I did some search on google and according to all the specs I can find, the official max rated mem speed that the 5960 x supports is 2133:
http://techreport.com/review/26977/intel-core-i7-5960x-processor-reviewed

Once I manually set the mem to 2400, I had 0 problems posting with a decent CPU over clock.

Linus does his best to do a "fair" DDR3 vs DD4 shoot-out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utWnjA4NzSA

The result is, basically no difference. Especially for frame rates in games. Zero gain going to DDR4. But, as we all know, its already a requirement for the X99 and will continue to be a requirement until DDR5 comes out :)

DDR4 will eventually have faster clockspeeds as retail standard than DDR3 had. I believe the top clockspeed for DDR4 will be 3200 MGHz. By the time Skylake comes out that max clockspeed might be available. But as skypine27 said, you can manually adjust the clockspeed in the bios.

DDR4 will be the last double data type of ram made. There will be no DDR5. Instead they will switch to a completely new and different architecture. What that is, no one knows yet. But they have reached the practical limits of DD ram.

Essentially, we are doing this transition so that integrated GPUs and server workloads can get the extra bandwidth they need.

Desktop users won't really notice. We're just along for the ride :D

Back