Should MySpace Just Die Already?

HardOCP News

[H] News
So the question of the day is "should MySpace just die already?" How many of you would even notice if MySpace fell off the face of the planet tomorrow? Anyone?

It also would be more expensive to close up shop than to sell for even a bargain-basement price. But consider this: in the grand scheme of things, MySpace is probably better off dying a quick death now than prolonging its painful slide into irrelevance any longer.

The only reason I'd like to see myspace stick around is because I think it'd be baller if it became popular again once facebook fails. I wouldn't enjoy this for any practical reason, just nostalgia.

What would be really great is a Xanga bounce back!

I have a MySpace page.

I made sure no one could use the HARDOCP name and left the page intentionally blank.

After seven years...I have ZERO friends....on purpose. That's not easy to do...I had to boot that Tom dude off my list immediately. ;)

Facebook, that's a different story.

Someone right now is working on the new facebook but myspace will never be back, it had its chance and failed like Excite or something old like that.

I have a MySpace page.

I made sure no one could use the HARDOCP name and left the page intentionally blank.

After seven years...I have ZERO friends....on purpose. That's not easy to do...I had to boot that Tom dude off my list immediately. ;)

Facebook, that's a different story.

That was you that added? Really? I doubt it for some reason, I ignored it, but now I accepted the friend request just for shits and giggles.

eh, you have a bunch of un-laid-off employees who would disagree with your assessment.

anyway all of these popularity type industries cater to a fickle public.
as soon as something better (more popular) comes along they are gone
google at least has been trying to adapt by introducing new technologies into everything
what has myspace or facebook done in this regard?
facebook also may die the same death as soon as people get tired of farmville or mafia wars

While, yeah, myspace is pretty much dead, it'll be tougher for facebook to die. Someone has to make some kind of social networking site that's worth the effort of switching to and re-uploading all your photos and what have you.

With facebook, it kinda took over myspace because for one it was better, and it was ALWAYS popular with the trend-setter college douche-bags, so when facebook opened it up to people who weren't in college, everyone checked it out just because it was "exclusive" to college students at first, and they realized it was better than myspace.

I'd notice, for bands and stuff like that is a great resource... HOWEVER.
their new revision to the site runs like crap, and i've got a pretty decent machine.
Audio player and video are tediously slow to load and it slows down any other page i happen to have open. scrolling the page is choppy its brutal. My guess is the new code for their site is all html5 and css3 which is touch and go with my current Firefox as far as its support is concerned. Even through Chrome its pretty bad although 50% better.
I always tell people facebook is for freinds and family, linkedIn is for business and myspace is great for bands and artists. It seems to be where the chips have settled.

According to Alexa.com, Myspace is the 29th most visited site in the US so someone is still going there a lot. I am sure Kyle would take out all of his guns from his gun safe and go on a simulated practice zombie killing spree for when the zombie apocalypse arrives to have traffic like Myspace gets since [H]ardOCP is the 7,899th most visited US website..

graph

Honestly I use it for one thing. I look up a song by an artist to see if I like it and half the time its myspace that plays it for me

[H]ardOCP is the 7,899th most visited US website..

Ahem....

According to people that have the Alexa toolbar installed. :rolleyes:

How many [H] people use the Alexa toolbar?

MySpace does a boatload of traffic...but nowhere near it did even a year or two ago.

But Alexa? That is a horribly broken / irrelevent website / tool.

only thing i ever liked about myspace is music, it was a great portal to discovering new bands and i found quite a lot of good music that i would otherwise never found.. but i havent used the site in ages so i wouldnt miss it if it did go away

I just could never stand all the god awful glittery shit that people put all over the place, that and the auto start music players.
If I want to look up a band and hear some clips I can do that on FB too. So MySpace can go bye bye and once something better comes along then FB can go too, but till then I'll use FB ;).

I just could never stand all the god awful glittery shit that people put all over the place, that and the auto start music players.
If I want to look up a band and hear some clips I can do that on FB too. So MySpace can go bye bye and once something better comes along then FB can go too, but till then I'll use FB ;).

QFT

That and those annoying ass fucking app invites your most retarded of friends spam the hell out of you with.

And those virtual fucking alcohol drinks...Mother fuckers, I don't even drink in real life, wtf makes you think i want a fake beer, at least make it a fake blunt.

Whats up with all the death lately. Death of PC, die mouse, die myspace.

Someone needs a hug.

The simple truth is that there are trends in technology just as much as there are trends in things like cars, clothing, and etc. It changes as the years and eras change. Look at Facebook: The only reason why it is "revolutionary" is because it offers a different level of social connection that other websites, such as MySpace, don't necessarily offer. The security features that able the user to limit access to their information is also a bonus.

Additionally, when the business - MySpace in this case - makes little to no effort to re-brand themselves and adapt with the changing technological scene, they will get shut down. It's simple: You either convert or be overrun by something new in the technology industry.

I remember when [H] listed it as new so I signed up, then it became kidSpace.
I havent used it in a long time......so no I wont miss it.

only thing i ever liked about myspace is music, it was a great portal to discovering new bands and i found quite a lot of good music that i would otherwise never found.. but i havent used the site in ages so i wouldnt miss it if it did go away

Exactly. The only reason to go to Myspace was for their music section. FB should just buy out Myspace and keep the music section alive. Found a lot of great bands that way.

*Ç|®8tË<ETH>;1036695885 said:
I remember when [H] listed it as new so I signed up, then it became kidSpace.

Yup.

The company is seriously going to have to revamp its image. It is actually embarrassing to say you have a MySpace page if you are an adult.

Yup.

The company is seriously going to have to revamp its image. It is actually embarrassing to say you have a MySpace page if you are an adult.

A good portion of my family ridded of theirs because of all the kids - a lot of "goth-types" - we starting to make MySpace into "Rif-RaffSpace".

While I don't necessarily "hate" Facebook, it does - at many times - genuinely annoy me with it's ever-changing Security Policies and Privacy Settings. Not to mention the hordes of Emails I get whenever someone replies to my comment.

It will probably get sold off and rebranded or something else before it dies.

I've never had a MySpace page, but there are a lot of music artists that do and I visit their sites now and then. For that reason alone, I'd like to see it stick around. It's a good place to checkout musicians.

I've never had a MySpace page, but there are a lot of music artists that do and I visit their sites now and then. For that reason alone, I'd like to see it stick around. It's a good place to checkout musicians.

Just came to say the exact same thing. I could not care at all about the "social" portion of MySpace... but the music side I'd miss. It's a great way to sample an artist before paying for anything.

MySpace is destined to die. Murdoch bought it for too much and did nothing until it was too late, which is a shame, their fine print is so much preferable over that of facebook.

Their userbase, too.

Back