shouldn't smp be simpler?

wadec22

2[H]4U
i don't want to be negative, but smp clients should be simpler to establish. my father is more than excited about folding@home but i'm not sure i will even be able to get him up and running. :(

i have two gpus and a ps3 going but my smp client is a major pia....

getting a "process manager could not be started" error. followed by, "unable to establish a secure connection to host"

i don't want to be negative, but smp clients should be simpler to establish. my father is more than excited about folding@home but i'm not sure i will even be able to get him up and running. :(

i have two gpus and a ps3 going but my smp client is a major pia....

getting a "process manager could not be started" error. followed by, "unable to establish a secure connection to host"

yeah we all wish it was simpler.. but maybe the smp2 client will be when it comes out..

The WinSMP client is fairly easy to set up if you follow the guide correctly. Getting Linux VMs up and running takes a bit more effort but is worth it in the long run. If you'd like some help setting up the client, post some more information regarding which version you're trying to set up, what stage of the process you're at, and specifically what error or errors you're getting (preferably with screenshots).

The Pande Group (Stanford) is very much aware that the current version of SMP for Windows is harder to setup & run then it should be ...

I personally know they are working very hard to fix this as soon as they can.

The fix will be the release of the SMP2 client, which will be "thread" based vs the MPI in SMP1.

Their hope is to have it run as well as the UniProcessor Client does, but that will take some time.

I just started folding myself and it is defiantly confusing for a newbie. I think I have smp working correctly on my comp but I'm pretty sure I'm not getting the most out of my machine. I have a [email protected] and I'm getting around 3300ppd according to fahmon, is that a reasonable score for my cpu?

I just started folding myself and it is defiantly confusing for a newbie. I think I have smp working correctly on my comp but I'm pretty sure I'm not getting the most out of my machine. I have a [email protected] and I'm getting around 3300ppd according to fahmon, is that a reasonable score for my cpu?

if you are using the winSMP client.. yes.. if you are using the linux/notfred client then no..

You are unless you have a capable GPU in your system.

Ok thanks, I just assumed it would be more since everybody around here seems to be getting huge numbers :D

Ok thanks, I just assumed it would be more since everybody around here seems to be getting huge numbers :D

You need a few more systems to get the big numbers. Huge numbers come with huge electric bills. ;)

Back