Show off your OSX desktop

Garage81 said:
thanks man. my apartment is small, so i dont have much room for a bigger desk. sucks. cant fit the 2001fp up on the deks comfortably, so i drove it home and hooked it up to my moms computer last weekend. she freaked out, was a nice surprise.

Why didn't you just hang the 2001fp on the wall? I used one of their AXUL01's to "float" my 2001fp over my desktop and it really free's up the real estate. That was good luck for your mom, though! :D

Hal|9k said:
Why didn't you just hang the 2001fp on the wall? I used one of their AXUL01's to "float" my 2001fp over my desktop and it really free's up the real estate. That was good luck for your mom, though! :D

because now i wont feel so bad when i buy a new apple 23" when i move :eek:

Here's my desktop

Picture_1_copy.jpg

Yeah, it looks like they're injecting the poor little guy with whatever was in the red pill, the blue pill, and the [H] pill...

Rev A G5 Dual 2.0
2560MB DDR400 RAM
200GB 160GB Harddrives
SuperDrive
R9600
23" Apple Cinema Display
10.3.8 Server
Display one: (1920.1200)
Display1_alksjdfhlasjdfhals.png

Display two: (1280.1024)
Display2_alksjdfhlasjdfhals.png

sigmend said:
Rev A G5 Dual 2.0
2560MB DDR400 RAM
200GB 160GB Harddrives
SuperDrive
R9600
23" Apple Cinema Display
10.3.8 Server
Display one: (1920.1200)
Display two: (1280.1024)

why do you use OSX server rather than the normal version?

seanmcd said:
http://www.mattmckay.org/
duhh - obviously it's a powerful web server for sending a secret encrypted message to all other sprinkler drinking dogs of the world...
sssh, you were not supposed to tell anyone about that :p

Anyway..
It has a lot more features useful to me. Also, as a developer I get a free (Free as in buy-$500-membership-and-get-lots-of-goodies) 5-client license.

What I really like is NetBoot /w AFP services.
I can create a 'base image' of a new install of 10.3 or 10.4 beta install.
Then I can put any mac computer on my network NetBoot them (Holding N on startup).
Once they are NetBooted I can restore any software image to them I want. It takes about ~20min to reinstall my OS

It is very valuable when beta testing my own software. I have a 'control' environment to work in.

I also run my own mail servers, DNS/DHCP, FTP, PDC for windows, HTTP, Print (PostFix), LDAP, NFS, and a few other services that I can't think of.

Torque, do you have a link to that wallpaper? It's sweet..

also, how did you make your dock translucent like that?

transdock...there is another app thall do it but im having a brain fart at the moment.

AlphaWolf260 said:
Garage81 how do you get the HD space to show up next to its icon ?

audiojon said:
Go to your desktop and hit Cmd-J. Select "Show item info." Voila! :D

When I do this it only shows the full size of my hard drive. Is there another thing I need to do to make it show free space as well?

i finally got a new digital camera tonight...among other goodies, ill be posting up my actual deskspace within a day or so.

liquidtrance123 : Nice. That your mini I take it?

Hey, what iTunes controller you using? Looks pretty sweet.

ProphetSix said:
liquidtrance123 : Nice. That your mini I take it?

Hey, what iTunes controller you using? Looks pretty sweet.
Yes thats my mini :p <3
Now i'm just saving up for a Dually G5 :( The mini just isn't fast enuf :(

liquidtrance123 said:
Yes thats my mini :p <3
Now i'm just saving up for a Dually G5 :( The mini just isn't fast enuf :(

I say you should try a mini cluster node, haven't seen it yet, but the apple guy tried to get me to do that

illgiveumorality said:
I say you should try a mini cluster node, haven't seen it yet, but the apple guy tried to get me to do that
yea i'm trying to read up on how its done and if its really worth it. But once the new powermacs hit i'll probably just go with a dual 2ghz G5 since they'll hopefully drop in price, i got alot of hardware i can carry over from my 2.8GHz P4 PC

so im watching a movie on my new imac and i prop my feet up on the desk.

i hear a smal creaking noise as the desk begins to crack down the center. Im attributing this to the 3 crt's and imac on the desk and it being old and beat up to begin with. In a mad dash i stuck my arms out and caught my imac, leaving the x86 monitors to meet their fate...which they did. So im gonna donate the pcs they were with to a cause where underprivelegded kids can learn computers and just use my imac and ibook from here on out.

I had to improvise because i do my schoolwork on this pc everyday and needed something.

so at 3am i began work on my desk.

Its made of 2x4's and plywood, and the neighbors didnt appreciate the saw in the garage that late but they didnt have a deskless imac.

I plan to cover it in tile of some sort, but this will do for now.
IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1880.jpg

you can kinda see the wallpaper, ill post it once i get home.

Black Morty Rackham said:
Apple Developer Connection said:
Warning: Pre–release software is Apple confidential information.
Your unauthorized distribution of pre–release software or disclosure of information relating to pre–release software (including the posting of screen shots) may subject you to both civil and criminal liability and result in immediate termination of your ADC Membership.
Apple is so going to kill you if they see that. :p

For my desktop(HitchHikersGuideToTheGalaxy), sorry for this really late reply, I have not checked this thread recently
Big
Smaller

edit:
Holy shit, Garage81, E5Cs?

yeah just got them last friday. got a really good deal on them, so i figured, hey, why not.

used them at work today, was complete bliss in the lab. couldnt hear any of the other engineers talking to themselves.

life is good :)

Ok two requests I would like to know where you guys got this Background.

macdesk.jpg

And This image.
MyDesky.jpg

Back