Shutting down Win 7 reboots instead

Greetings all,

Just got Win 7 installed last night and so far everything is smooth, (well except for the fact it decided to run power save by disabling my NIC...) Other than that I'm getting used to it.

Current problems I'm running into is whenever I try to shut down my PC, (specs in sig,) it doesn't shut down, it reboots instead. I've tried a few reedit options that I found through searching, turning off a few things in the NIC's properties, (most places are relating the issue to a 'wake on lan' type of event;) but nothing's worked... short of a hard shutdown.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this/has anyone run into this?
Many thanks,
Fallen

I recently had a Windows7 issue where the shutdown button would not work... I ended up doing a 'shutdown -s -f -t 0' at the cmd. Are you using the Beta, RC or RTM?

There used to be driver issues with Vista to have the same effect where in the case of selecting shutdown, it would restart. Has it done it from the start or after adding drivers/programs? I'm sure it is, but its worth asking, is the W7 build all updated?

I recently had a Windows7 issue where the shutdown button would not work... I ended up doing a 'shutdown -s -f -t 0' at the cmd. Are you using the Beta, RC or RTM?

There used to be driver issues with Vista to have the same effect where in the case of selecting shutdown, it would restart. Has it done it from the start or after adding drivers/programs? I'm sure it is, but its worth asking, is the W7 build all updated?

Win7 Version: RTM; just pulled it down from technet a couple of days ago. According to the Win updater everything is up-to-date. It's hard to say if it's done it from the start or if it is something that was introduced; I basically installed 7, installed MB drivers/Vid drivers etc...then shut it down, took it up to my office booted it up to install a few games and that's when it happened.

Another odd thing of note, (could just be random chance as well,) while I was in my build lab one of my onboard NIC's blew out, (still see's it in windows but won't get any signal through,) the other works fine.

The only 'real' difference between my lab and office is that the office is on a UPS...but I can't think that this would be the root of the issue.

Did you install the UPS software by any chance? Possibly check the USB (im guessing thats what it would be) signal wire to the box and battery itsself - unfamiliar with other brands but this is what APC uses now.

On the working NIC, did you try using the 'OS Controlled' setting? Maybe disable all the NICs and test the shutdown function to rule out some possibilities.

Out of curiosity, did you let windows install the drivers or did you do them manually?

Did you install the UPS software by any chance? Possibly check the USB (im guessing thats what it would be) signal wire to the box and battery itsself - unfamiliar with other brands but this is what APC uses now.
I didn't actually install the software for the UPS, just plugging directly into it, (letting it self manage at this point); I've mostly got it for brown out protection.

On the working NIC, did you try using the 'OS Controlled' setting? Maybe disable all the NICs and test the shutdown function to rule out some possibilities.
I'll give this a shot, though I did leave the network unplugged when trying to shut down a couple of times and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Out of curiosity, did you let windows install the drivers or did you do them manually?
I let windows install the baseline drivers but I overwrote them with the NForce drivers for the board and the unified drivers for the Vid.

OK, so here is what I've tried through this point:

• Removed 4GB of RAM, (another fourm suggested 7 had issues with 8GB); didn't help.
  • Fresh install of the OS on a new drive; no love
  • disabled all 'wake on' events in both BIOS and within windows on the NIC; same issue
  • disabled NIC's completely; no result
  • RegEdit-->disable wake on events; nothing
  • installed only one dirve with the OS; nothing.
  • unplugged all USB items and went back to PS2; still reboots on shut down
  • Flahsed BIOS to the latest, (newest are from 2008 both via EVGA and NV's sites,) same result
  • Latest drivers for everything, started with Board, moved on to Vid card etc... no results
At this point I'm wondering if it is an issue with the 680i chipset or if something else is going on...Almost starting to seem like I'm stuck here... I'm in the middle of building another system (based on the Intel P45 chipset,) to see if the same issue shows up...

Any other suggestions are welcome.

If your comp is rebooting on shutdown, it might actually be crashing on shutdown which is causing the reboot. My XP machine does this. Turn off "automatic restart on system failure" (not sure where that's at on win 7) it's under system, advanced, startup and recovery in XP. Then, when you shutdown, you should get the BSOD error that it's currently skipping instead of restarting.

Back