Shuttle modded for GTX 295 - SLI powah!

dworley

Gawd
LOL - I got tired of waiting on the new Shuttle SX58H7 or the Asus Rampage GENE and decided to upgrade my trusty old Shuttle SD32G5 with some SLI powah!!!

Previously I had modded this Shuttle G5 case to run an 8800GTX and then later upgraded it to use a GTX 280.

Pretty straight forward mod as I only had to cut a small section from the rear and front side chasis with my dremmel to allow for enough clearence to put the board in. I had to remove the rear PCI bracket from teh GXT 295, but I secured the card to the Shuttle rear chasis frame to the back of the video card using two of the screw holes for the bracket. I have a Thermaltake express bay PSU to provide the power for the 8 pin PCI-E plug and used two of the Shuttle PSU connectors for the 6 pin PCI-E adapter.

I benched with Futuremark Vantage (17.8k) and played a few games and had no stability issues. The GTX 295 idle temps are 50c and 72c load since it gets plenty of fresh air.

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

Very nice! Actually looks awesome since the heat sink is very cool looking. Whats the specs for this bad boy! And welcome back!! I havent seen you around in a long time.

I have been by the forums every now and then to see what's new but haven't had the upgrade bug in a
while. I've been away painting race replica cars for Forza 2 on the 360 ;)

I was interested in that new X58 Shuttle but I beleive I can hold out for a while longer now

System Specs:

Shuttle SD32G5
Shuttle 300W PSU upgrade
Shuttle PN18 B/G wireless kit
Intel C2D E4400 @3.0
4GB Crucial Balistix
eVGA GTX 295
Creative X-Fi Fatality (PCI)
Thermaltake Express bay PSU
Optowrite USB DVD/RW

What's the noise level like?

I've been admiring your work now for years dworley, I still remember that old Shuttle that was watercooled with a Kingwin kit. I've always wanted to ask you this, but where do you get the money to do all this? What's your job?

I'm a fan of your G5 video card upgrades. I'm waiting to see what you stick in it next.

I've tried many different MATX cases and believe it or not the Shuttle runs much cooler and quieter with this mod than my SG-03 or Lian Li V1000.

I put the GTX 280 in my SG03 and it runs about 15C hotter even with (2) 120mm fans blowing directly onto it. I do need to lower the idle fan speed on the GTX 295 as it is noticeable at 41%, plenty of room to lower it a few % as the card stays pretty cool at idle.

My old Kingwin AWC-1 water cooled kit worked pretty well for a while but had some issues with the epoxy breaking down and leaking when it aged. I'm thinking about trying out the new Shuttle water cooled kit on newegg if I can confirm that the screw holes for my ICE in the SD32G2 match the SG45H7.

I used to try out all the new Shuttle's and MATX cases and upgrade alot more but have had to cut back on the hobbies since getting married - LOL Our company is actually doing pretty good right now and I am fortuanate to be able to splurge on this upgrade. (I'm a technical consultant / mgr. for a small company that resells IBM software / services)

good work but I want you to put a faster cpu in that, even if its an e5300 overclocked as fast as 4ghz, I want you to use that 295 with a faster cpu and 8gb ram, I want you to make life worth living

Uber horrible analogy much?

This is just 1 GTX295? Or 2?.. SLI = 2 GTX295. Mod makes the case pretty damn attractive.

Just 1 I believe. Which can be referred as SLI I guess as it is 2 GPUs (2 PCBs even) SLI'd in 1 package. People (like on Tom's) refer to dual 4870x2 as quad-fire (or is it quad-xfire?) so I guess you could argue that one 295 is already a SLI setup.

Back