shuttle problems

Ch1m3r4

Gawd
I built a computer for my aunt that has a shuttle mn31n-onboard everything (i'm pretty sure that's it anyway) in it. It was fully patched and clean of viruses when I brought it to her house. Running windows xp. Corsair RAM, liteon optical, maxtor hdd.

Upon the first time connecting everything and powering the system on, the monitor will show all the bios/pre-os stuff and will show the windows xp splash screen, but as soon as it gets past that, the monitor goes black and goes into whatever standby mode it has (the light goes from green to orange on the monitor). All the cables are still connected fine, etc.

Safe mode loads up fine. The option half way down the safe mode choice screen entitled "Enable VGA mode" works fine. HOWEVER, when I load up into whatever this vga mode is, if I try to change any of the graphical settings, the screen again goes black and into the standby mode. Once this happens I have to hit the reset button.

That is all with the monitor plugged into the #1 port. With the monitor plugged into the #2 port (the onboard video has dual vga) the same problems occur, except that instead of just going into standby mode, the monitor goes into standby mode, then clicks out of it (but screen stays black). It repeats this every few seconds, so you can watch the LED go from orange to green with an audible click everytime.

I have tried multiple monitors, didn't help. So my question is basically whether this is a mobo/onboard video problem or a windows problem.

any help/input is MUCH appreciated.

Back