side window more noise?

decap

Limp Gawd
can anyone confirm this? i want to keep it quietbut im thinking abou getting a case with the window . wondering if this will affect noise levels. thanks

well im no expert, but let's say your case uses an aluminum side door. If you were to replace it with something that is mostly plastic, i'm pretty sure it wouldn't dampen the noise as well, not sure to what extent however.

I havent noticed any difference I have two comps, one with a window and one w/o and I actually think the one with the window is quieter.

The computers are a

-Dell XPS 400 (dual core)
-One I built (AMD 4200+ dual core)

It probably makes very little difference at all, and it all depends on the system's cooling and stuff.

It will. Plexiglass AKA PLASTIC is less condensed and lighter than aluminum/steel. So therefore, it will slightly make more noise than a NON-WINDOW case.

GNOMEX said:
It will. Plexiglass AKA PLASTIC is less condensed and lighter than aluminum/steel. So therefore, it will slightly make more noise than a NON-WINDOW case.
False
While they do make a very slight difference in noise this is not the reason. Density is not why sound travels more easily through plastic than through steel. Actually sound travels better through more dense objects than through the air or liquids. In a well modded window there usually is no difference in sound. What happens often is that a window that makes people think they are louder is the window is not properly installed and sealed so it can vibrate inside of the side panel which is what is making it sound louder. At worse the difference is so small that you can barely notice it if at all like a few dbs. Most of the added sound you hear is from vibrations and spots that are not sealed air tight so sound can travel at those points very easily. The plexiglass can also be louder if it is rough because rougher materials absorb more of the sound waves while smooth materials tend to reflect more.

That might be true. But, most of these people who make windows don't know how to properly seal their windows air tight to prevent excess noise from occuring. Question...Why make a window? Why not just remove the side case? In my opinion, a side window makes a case look tacky, and cheap. Thats just me though :rolleyes:

GNOMEX said:
That might be true. But, most of these people who make windows don't know how to properly seal their windows air tight to prevent excess noise from occuring. Question...Why make a window? Why not just remove the side case? In my opinion, a side window makes a case look tacky, and cheap. Thats just me though :rolleyes:
but takin the side off makes it look like a piece of art ?

hmmm, window or side of the case off ? window wins everytime....

well, im actually buying the window case from lian li. so i dont know how they sealed it? any reviews?

GNOMEX said:

I think it really depends on the window. I do my windows with 1/4" plate glass and seal it with silicone and secure it with stainless hex bolts and rubber washers. I think my cases with this setup are quieter than without.

I found that most of the major providers usually do a pretty good job sealing the window. The biggest noise you are going to get is from intake and outtake fans. Also any breathable mesh that doesnt have a noise reducer on it will be bad about letting sound out. The best made cases seal well with the intake and outtake fans having noise reducers on them. Also putting a noise reducer on your hdd helps alot more than more people realize.

Personally I dont care how loud my computer is most of the time I just tune it out.

Back