*sighs* repairing my friends computer again

Cigolon

Gawd
i have noticed that every time my friend touches a computer, something goes wrong. he switched his gigabyte GA-k8u motherboard from one case to another and now the thing wont boot. i took out the video card, disconnected the HD and CD, still nothing. when i turn it on it starts to spin for a second and then stops. its not a power issue, its a 450 watt ps.

i've swapped the ram sticks out, i've checked and there is no grounding problem, unplugged everything and redone it.

ideas?

the wattage of the psu means nothing in a case like that. Try it with another PSU first.

try it with the power supply from the old box.... stock psu's are notorious for being DOA

oh christ. i hope his power supply didn't randomly die. i can't smell anything, but my nose is stuffed up.

how in the world could he manage to do that.

do you know that the power supply in the new case was ever working?... and when you switch on the psu do you get the standbye light on the board?

yeh. the ps was working before. it wasn't so much a 'new case' as an old case he put the old machine in. a little confusion there. it was running up til he switched it around.

i dont see the led comming on, but i dont actually see it at all.

i would say test another psu in the system.... and check all wiring etc.... if its not even getting to post then it is prob a power issue....

I would bet it is a grounding issue, did he use standoffs between the mobo and case?

Buy an Antec power supply tester...best 10-15 bucks I ever spent. It's simple as hell to use and will cut down your diagnostic time like you wouldn't believe. It's also a great way to see if your PSU is underpowered for your setup. After you rule out the power supply do yourself two favors.

1)Pull out everything...motherboard, cpu etc.. and rebuild it from the ground up. I have a friend that is pure bad luck with computers and have had to do this a couple of times until I implemented step 2..

2)Buy some antitheft computer locks (either a case lock or the screws for the back of the case) and lock it. Sounds mean but once it's up and running who the hell needs to open it again. And if it needs to be opened he can call you to fix it right the first time.

Try it with another PSU and see if it'll boot.

If it doesn't, your mobo is probably fried or shorted and will need a RMA.

are you sure he didnt short the board on a standoff in the case? take it out and make sure - it is possible the board didnt fry. ive done that to some of my boards before and they didnt die :)

Back