Silverstone FT03... matx

Thermalright Silver Arrow will fit in FT03 providing your CPU socket position is ok (can't be too close to GPU or edge of mobo)

The Silver Arrow is a better cooler than the Archon.

What kind of distance does one need between cpu and mobo border to fit Silver Arrow? I'm looking into Silver Arrow as we speak because it seems to clear over my Ripjaws X (for what I've read, at least).

If it helps anyone here is what I have in my build. It's a mix of older hardware compared to today's standards. I'm running (3) 20" monitors with an Ergotron LX Triple Lift Stand.

(1) Ultra X4 750-Watt Modular Power Supply
(1) ASUS Rampage III Gene
(1) Intel i7 920
(2) eVGA 896-P3-1258-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SSC Edition
(2) CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000)
(1) ThermalRight TRUE Black 120
(1) GELID Solutions 350mm PWM Y Cable
(5) Sharkoon SE 120mm Case Fan
(1) Sharkoon SE 80mm Case Fan
(2) SIIG SC-SA0H12-S1 3.5" to Dual 2.5" Drive Bay Adapter
(5) OKGEAR 10" SATA 6Gbps Cable w/ Metal Latch
(4) Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2/64GB (RAID 0)
(1) StarTech SLSATACDADAP Female Slimline SATA to SATA Adapter
(1) TEAC DV-W28SS-R 8X DVD±RW

Sorry for the crappy pics - taken with the phone.

-b0n3z

FT03_01.jpg

FT03_02.jpg

Last edited:
I just built out my new PC in this cool little case. I've been a huge fan of Silverstone for many years, and from the moment I saw this case I knew it was what I wanted for my new build. Mine looks basically like the one posted a little earlier with the H50, almost identical.... My specs are as follows:

Silverstone FT-03 Black
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
16GB GSKILL DDR3
ATI HD 6970
Corsair H70
MSI 890something or other with USB3 and SATA6
Silverstone Strider 750W with short cable kit (really a huge + using this)
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD
Samsung 2TB HDD

It's a pretty baller machine. I use it on a ASUS 24" I bought at the same time. Pretty much just play Black Ops on it right now totally maxed without a single hiccup.

Idles at around 27C and loads at 50C with the stock Corsair fans. I have ordered some new GT15's to replace them as I understand they provide similar performance but with a different sound. More of a silent whoosh from what I've read. The Corsairs are definitely an annoying hum for me, but I have pretty sensitive ears.

All in all, I couldn't be happier. Only thing to improve would be another 6970, but I didn't bother picking one up since I only use a 24" LCD.

What kind of distance does one need between cpu and mobo border to fit Silver Arrow? I'm looking into Silver Arrow as we speak because it seems to clear over my Ripjaws X (for what I've read, at least).

Click the "specs" tab in the link below to see a diagram with measurements. According to the Silverstone FT03 manual the heatsink can't overhang the edge of the mobo more than 5mm. You will need to check your mobo measurements to determine GPU clearance.

http://www.thermalright.com/products/?act=data&id=96&cat_id=27

Don't forget to allow for the thickness of the outer fan if you plan to use it (not shown in diagram)

Thx. I went to a Megahalems in the end. Its gonna be more trouble-free which is what I wanted.

@IsLNdbOi: The one on the left will result in higher case temps because it exhausts some of the air back into the case. However temps may be sufficient for your system depending on the other components, overclocking, fans used etc Radial fans (like the card on the right) exhaust air more efficiently but also tend to make more noise.

Put this card in yesterday:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150527
14-150-527-TS

Case temps. have gone up, but only around 2-3C. Worth it though as this card is very, very quiet.

Right now, my 6950 is the loudest item in the case, even at idle...too bad, I would have given up 2-3 degrees for a quieter card.

Just got ahold of one of these cases for a build I'm doing for a buddy, thought I'd share my efforts. Still have a few parts left to order.

100_2791.JPG

100_2782.JPG

100_2783.JPG

I just got this case and installed a temp system in it. I'm in love <3.

It's like that largish girl you finally ask out and then you find out she's hot in bed. :)

No troubles with install and no troubles with temps.

Zotac GF9300 775
Intel Q6600 @ 2.7ghz G0 Step
Nvidia 9800GTX+
OCZ Vertex 2 3.5 120gb Drive
Samsung MLC 15gb SSD Swap Drive
2gb Ballistix DDR2-800.
Some Coolermaster copper heatpipe thing HSF
Silverstone STF450 PSU
Yeah yeah, it's my temp while I wait for my Sandy Bridge combo / 6950 show up.

Actually the data cable is standard SATA, its only the power that is smaller. Its 6 pin SATA power instead of 15 pin.

You can use a cable like this and avoid the bulky PCB adapter. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...186124&cm_re=mini_sata-_-12-186-124-_-Product

You can also get adapters that just adapt the power from SATA 15 pin to mini SATA 6 pin but they seem much harder to find. (I like to avoid molex plugs on my modular PSU :eek:).

So I went to move my rig to re-install one of my SSDs (RMA from Mushkin) and replace the stock 120mm with some GT 15s (which dropped the ambient temps by about 5C+) and one of the front rubber feet essentially disintegrated on the spot into a ton of pieces...hopefully I can get a new one sent out!

Lift, don't slide!

One of my feet fell off when I was putting the thing together. I ended up putting a small washer into the foot and screwing it back in to hold it there.

the rubber feet on my SG07 ripped off too... without much effort. Cheap glue? Wheres the good dead horse quality stuff damnit!

I agree - it should fit. Just don't forget the connections are not a normal SATA power or data.
27-118-051-Z04

So you'll need something like this:
StarTech SLSATACDADAP Female Slimline SATA to SATA Adapter

-b0n3z

Thanks for reminding me of that, had almost forgotten! :)

By the way, does anyone know if the new Corsair H60 will fit properly? I currently have an H50 that I was going to re-use, but I have one of the original H50 systems that lacked the 1156(1155) mounting brackets. I requested one from Corsair and they said at the time it'd be 2-3 weeks before probably being shipped out (this was towards the middle of January), but so far they haven't sent one out and their online store is constantly out as well. So I've been thinking of picking up the H60 to use with the FT03 and my new system. :)

Thermalright Silver Arrow will fit in FT03 providing your CPU socket position is ok (can't be too close to GPU or edge of mobo)

The Silver Arrow is a better cooler than the Archon.

How does it fit? I'm guessing that either your would need to remove the case intake fan, or position the 2 fans in the middle + back instead of start + middle.
Would think both options makes the performance of the Silver Arrow Suffer.

Could you provide a picture or link of such a setup?

The Archon has been tested several places to be superior to the Silver Arrow.
examples:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/12/08/thermalright_archon_cpu_air_cooler_review/3
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermalright-archon_4.html#sect0

Can anyone tell me if my AX1200 will fit in here(7.3 inches)? Seems it might be just slightly too long...

Corsair's site says the AX1200 is 200mm long (7.87"), while Silverstone has the max PSU length at 180mm for the FT03... so no, I don't imagine it would fit.

And additionally a measurement of 160mm if PSU is modular.
No, it's 180mm for modular PSU's

From the FT03 installation guide:

"A: The FT03 supports power supply with depth of up to 215mm. The limitation of power supplies with modular cables is 180mm."

No, it's 180mm for modular PSU's

From the FT03 installation guide:

"A: The FT03 supports power supply with depth of up to 215mm. The limitation of power supplies with modular cables is 180mm."

Just going by information found on a couple of retailers. Perhaps specs were amended, who knows.

Don't always know how blindly one should trust the manual. Probably often just general recommendations.
Example, the FT02 manual states maximum CPU cooler height to be 165mm, but the Thermalright Archon fits despite being 170mm.
I was hoping it could fit in the FT03 as it states maximum height of 167mm, but then again it's not foam padded on the sides. Thought about ordering it for testing and sending it back if it doesn't fit. :)

Don't always know how blindly one should trust the manual. Probably often just general recommendations.
Example, the FT02 manual states maximum CPU cooler height to be 165mm, but the Thermalright Archon fits despite being 170mm.
I was hoping it could fit in the FT03 as it states maximum height of 167mm, but then again it's not foam padded on the sides. Thought about ordering it for testing and sending it back if it doesn't fit. :)

Different sockets, CPU and mobo have different hights. Case maker need to use conservative measurement.

Found it in the FT03 manual this time :D

'Standard PS2 (ATX) up to 180mm (up to 160mm for modular cables) deep.

Found it in the FT03 manual this time :D

'Standard PS2 (ATX) up to 180mm (up to 160mm for modular cables) deep.

So, we now have a scenario where the manual contradicts itself, since the opening specifications page, as you pointed out, says:

"Standard PS2 (ATX) up to 180mm (160mm for modular cables) deep"

but then further down, where it actually shows a profile view of the case for fitting power supplies, it says:

"A: The FT03 supports power supply with depth of up to 215mm. The limitation of power supplies with modular cables is 180mm. We use a specific extension cord for connecting to power supply’s AC plug, so it does not support large, specialized plug found in extremely high wattage power supplies (e.g. SilverStone ST1500). If high wattage power supply is required, we recommend the Strider Gold ST1200-G, which conforms to FT03’s dimension and extension power cord requirements."

I checked and the Strider Gold ST1200-G is a 180 mm deep, modular power supply (and modular power supplies depths are measured end to end, without cables attached).

The video Tony put up showing a demonstration of the case also showed a 180 mm modular power supply barely fitting, so I think it's safe to say that a 180 mm power supply will fit just fine, but 200 mm is probably out of the question.

Though maybe we can get Tony to confirm it or provide more information?

hmmmm, does anyone have an idea of how much larger would be vs a SG07? Like is it merely a fatter SG07 on it's end, or is it in a whole different weight class? I realize I can use an online sizing tool to figure it out from one perspective, but I never know how small the SG07 was until I got one in person to compare to my SG06 and SG05... right now I am running my SG07 on it's faceplate, so it's somewhat oriented like the FT03, how much larger would it be? Is it more like a SG02? Or a cut down FT02!?

I'm sorry for what must be the 9000th question covering this aspect of the case :(

hmmmm, does anyone have an idea of how much larger would be vs a SG07? Like is it merely a fatter SG07 on it's end, or is it in a whole different weight class? I realize I can use an online sizing tool to figure it out from one perspective, but I never know how small the SG07 was until I got one in person to compare to my SG06 and SG05... right now I am running my SG07 on it's faceplate, so it's somewhat oriented like the FT03, how much larger would it be? Is it more like a SG02? Or a cut down FT02!?

I'm sorry for what must be the 9000th question covering this aspect of the case :(

I came across a picture before that I can't find now that had it next to an SG01 on its faceplate. They were just about the same size.

oh, that's nice! :)

That's perfect for me :D.

Thank you very much.

EDIT: ah, I found another pic (not as good of a pic) for this :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

How does it fit? I'm guessing that either your would need to remove the case intake fan, or position the 2 fans in the middle + back instead of start + middle.
Would think both options makes the performance of the Silver Arrow Suffer.

Could you provide a picture or link of such a setup?

The Archon has been tested several places to be superior to the Silver Arrow.
examples:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/12/08/thermalright_archon_cpu_air_cooler_review/3
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermalright-archon_4.html#sect0

Providing your CPU socket is not right near the edge of the board, the Silver arrow does not overhang the mobo edges in any direction, so there is nothing to stop it fitting. The FT03 case fan sits over the rear I/O ports. Silver arrow does not overhang this area so there is nothing to interfere.

I don't have this setup so I don't have any pics.

The [H] Article you linked shows:
Archon performing 0.3 degrees better under load at stock speed.
Silver Arrow performs 2.5 degrees better under load overclocked.

To me that makes the Silver Arrow the better performer as it handles higher loads better. Depends on your system and preferences.

The Xbit article compares them with identical fan setups (both in single fan or both in dual fan) rather than out of the box comparison (Silver arrow with 2x fans vs Archon with 1x fan). If you are going to fit dual fans on the archon then it will perform better, but that pushes the cost higher.

Back