Silverstone SG04 to debut at CES?

all i can say is wow. i thought it was someone's idea of a joke. come on. what's goin on at silverstone's r&d department. no wonder there's no talk about this case. was the original sg03 so awesome that they just could not think of anything new to add on other than the funky ass handle, and weird front panel covers? the power button on the front is a good idea, but it's not as elegant as the button they used on the sg03. what's the deal with the optical drive cover? it looks like the material is different than the rest of the case.
i'm pretty sure there's a thread somewhere about the short comings of the sg03. similar to the sg01 that got evolutionized with a bunch of new fan placements and what not. i don't really know what they changed in there since i wasnt at the convention, but still... that's one ugly case. perhaps it's something you can appreciate in person, maybe.

even my sg03 /w a silver dvd burner looks better than that thing. yah quite out of place but matches very well with my 37" westy, mx518, saitek eclipse, and z-340. that round look just isn't right. sends shivers up my spine thinkin bout where they'll be going with the future chassis.

great cable management job too. wonderful work... riight... it's nice and clean above the psu, but cramped as hell near the front intake fans (yah i squeezed a diagonally downward facing 120mm fan into there). i guess i put my cables in backwards.
yah, the crossfire bridge really surprised me too. i was going to do that next month. :D too bad no sli at the moment.

this case screams out redo for me. maybe if the whole thing looked plasticky, it might be a little better, but dayum... brushed aluminum + faked brushed aluminum plastic molding = eyesore.
i sure do hope they can make an optional handle. you know. one that you can just slide in and lock into place. i'd rather shove one in a sugopack than carry it around. i wonder why we dont see a left panel. maybe they took in advice and stopped with the mesh design on it. no window case still i bet.

speaking as a multiple Silverstone fan, I'm hoping that some design-engineer is still getting his ass kicked over the post-CES flame session that was the communities reaction to the 04.

all that is needed is a stealth drive cover that matches the existing fascia.

a six hundred watt short cable PSU would be nice too.

speaking as a multiple Silverstone fan, I'm hoping that some design-engineer is still getting his ass kicked over the post-CES flame session that was the communities reaction to the 04.

all that is needed is a stealth drive cover that matches the existing fascia.

a six hundred watt short cable PSU would be nice too.

where's the flame session? i want to see it. haha. ok ok i'll go google. i bet peeps at sudhian had to say something...

why the heck did they show the sg02 at the ces convention again? it was never made available to the US right? so rare overseas too. http://www.pro-clockers.com/review.php?id=300

The SG04 should be the SG03 w/ a matching, flush, stealth drive bay cover and some other touchups to the SG03 (like changing that top slot at the back for an optional exhuast fan to accomodate the new dual slot exhaust fans). Also, they could use higher quality material for the case. The screw holes / threads in the SG03 strip so easily.

So I was looking at Silverstone's website, and I came across a picture of the SG04 I haven't seen. Sure, the ones at CES didn't look good, but check out the picture I found. I can't link to it, but I can tell you where to click.

First go to silverstonetek.com. Then you will see a flash video on the top left of the website saying, "CEBIT 2008 Summary". Click the video and a new window will pop up. It's another flash video and it will say again "CEBIT 2008 Summary", and it will give you a list of options to choose. Choose the option that says SFF Station and you will see a picture of the SG04 on the left. It's silver and it doesn't have a handle.

Personally, I think it looks way better in that picture than any of the prototypes that are being displayed. What does everybody else think?

It looks just like the one I took pictures of at CES except that it's silver and has no handle. Still ugly IMHO.

For me, I think the handle was one of the bigger reasons why the case looked so ugly, and looking at the picture without the handle, I think it looks way better.

cebit_silverstone_still_08.jpg

Here is the case without the handle:
2408347196_e167bc6ab2.jpg

why the heck did they show the sg02 at the ces convention again? it was never made available to the US right?

SG02B-F is a good case. Functional design improvements over the SG01, and I prefer the aesthetics over both the SG01 and SG03. And its available from newegg, directron, etc.

Handle makes it look terrible. Still looks only okay without it. The new SG02 is hot though.

I don't know if it's news but they are available at Newegg now. Anyone order one yet?

Yes and no. I have seen fuglier cases but If the handle is strong it might be worth it. I use a Geargrip harness on my SG03 and sometimes I wish it had a permanent handle. But I transport mine a lot. For those never moving it around much a handle is really useless but for those that go to LAN events or whatever may find a use for it. Sometimes function prevails over looks.

Here are some more pics from Silverstone's website:

http://silverstonetek.com/products/p_photo.php?pno=SG04-H&area=usa

comparison of the SG03 and SG04:

SG03 http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/11-163-085-13.jpg

SG04 http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/11-163-115-03.jpg

[edit]

I think there are going to be versions without the handle. If you look at the specs page, its called the SG04B-H(black, handle) so they will probably come out with cases that are SG04B.

http://silverstonetek.com/products/p_spec.php?pno=SG04-H&area=usa

The new Sg4 isn't as bad as some make it out to be, especially with the handle removed, but I like my Sugo3 much better.

DSC00628.jpg

The new Sg4 isn't as bad as some make it out to be, especially with the handle removed

I think the problem is the inconsistent styling of the handle especially compared to the side ventilation bezel. The handle has smooth flowing lines, the vent bezel is all hard sharp angles. There's no aesthetic continuity.

So I recently emailed Silverstone and asked if they were coming out with a version without the handle or if the handle was removable. This is what they said:

USA Sales to me

show details 3:01 PM (43 minutes ago)

yes, the case handle bar can be removed.

Perhaps you should check on SG03 as well, same size as SG04 but no handle

thanks
----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2008 2:00 AM
Subject: Thinking of Buying an SG04-H

- Hide quoted text -
Hi,

I was thinking of buying an SG04-H, but I was wondering if the handle
is removable because I don't plan on carrying the case anywhere. If
it's not removable, is Silverstone planning on coming out with an SG04
without a handle?

Thanks,

Jon

I don't know after looking at it a while.. I don't think it's so bad. I actually like the rounded edges compared to the sg03. I really prefer the sg01 form factor though. I would take one of those with a handle.

I was a real believer in Silverstone in the SG01 era and am a happy owner of one. I liked a lot of what they did with the SG03, except for that ugly side vent. Not only did the SG04 keep that part that people complained about the most, I can't hlep but agree they have added more "rice" with the horrible handle and front panel. This is a shame from a company that used to design cases around function rather than form. When I buy a case, I don't want something that looks like a space ship. I want something with military physique--it looks tough because it's designed to be tough, not because it has a bunch of useless frills glued to it.

The SG04 volume is significantly larger than the SG03. This is also going the wrong direction. I want a smaller case, not a bigger one. My dream case is optimally sized to accomodate just 1 5.25" bay--even just a slim bay for a slot loading DVD drive and as little as just 1 3.5" internal bay for a hard drive. Making big cases to accomodate SLI, RAID, and so on is ok for some, but having all the empty spaces inside is holding the form factor back for those who do not want all those things.

Hey Jade, the dimensions for the SG04 are bigger due to the front face plate. It's curved and bigger then the SG03. The SG03 is flat while the SG04 bulges out due to the roundness of the front. The height difference is because of the handle. Remove the handle and the depth and height equal that to the SG03.

The SG04 is steel. There is no weight on their spec sheets...

Back