SilverStone SG07 - New Mini-itx case

I had it for 2 days and now have it up on RMA and it's going back. It's actually too small in the height department for me. Another 1 inch and it would work like a charm...

What's wrong with your's? The psu?

What can't it fit btw?

I managed to get an axp-140 in it with a LOT of patience. It's not too bad.

Good day, just got and assembled my SG07, I don't have any pics yet of the inside since I don't like my cable management there

P1020561.jpg

P1020558.jpg

I'm really thinking if I should sell my Corsair H50 and change my heatsink to a Thermalright AXP-140 instead (or maybe Silverstone NT-06E), or maybe modify the tubes of my H50, I don't like how the tubes are bent as of now

just some food for thought, you can have push pull fans on your H50 without having to use a slim fan. BUT! be sure to put the H50 in BEFORE you put in your hard drive! the 90 degree SATA fits perfectly in the shallow side of the fan but it hits the bottom and top edges of the fan shroud. i busted one of my hard drives finding that out... so be sure to hook up the hard drive after you install the H50 and then slide it in.

Getting ready to order one off NewEgg - I need to order a slimline DVD burner as well, but I keep reading reviews where people complain they didnt get a slimline sata cable with the drive. Is there something special about a slimline DVD player that requires something out of the ordinary in the way of sata power/data cables?

Yeah, you usually need to buy a separate cable to be able to mount slim optical drives into desktop PCs. It's a bit odd retailers don't mention this, since I'd think that these days a large portion of slim optical drives are in fact sold for small desktop systems, not just laptops.

Parts on the way! This SG07 will house a 5870, i5 670, Vertex 2 60GB and WD 1TB Black doing double duty as my 24/7 and game rig. Wish me luck! :)

I'm looking at building a SG07 with the following parts:

- i7 870 CPU
- 5870 card (probably a Gigabyte one)
- 8GB RAM
- 1TB WD Black drive & OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD + 500GB 2.5" 7200 HDD
- H55N-USB3 Mini-ITX board

The only thing I'm not quite sure of is the CPU cooler and have I missed anything? I've got a USB Blu-Ray/DVD burner which I'll connect externally and use it with my laptop.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

How is the airflow in this case?

Airflow is good with the 180mm fan pushing down onto the motherboard. However, I'm doing a H50 Push/Pull pushing hot air down onto the motherboard. I'm still doing some testing on best configurations and will try to exhaust it instead. I still have the stock fan in the pic below.

I just moved from Da Box Lan Gear to the SG07. I went from an 930/Mega RevB cooler to an 875K/H50. I pushed the old system to 4ghz, and am pushing the new one to 4ghz.

The 5970 does run hot at idle with auto fan control, Overall, I am loving the case right now. I know I am pushing the 600watt PSU pretty close, but its working so far.

1.jpg

2.JPG

^^ damn that card looks sexy taking up the whole side of the case!
Air flow is pretty decent, was able to get the 750 to 4ghz not sure how stable but lasted 30 min on prime so thats good enough for me right now. have it clocked back down to 3.6 so i dont destroy the mobo...

For all those confused about the SG07. Hopefully this will provide some help.

For the slim drive you do need an adapter as mentioned above. The cheapest I found was 3.50 on ebay.

The cooler was a PITA for me. The Noctua SE14 doesnt fit at all on the gigabyte board. I then got a silverstone NT06. It didn't fit either initially, but if you bend the heatpipes so that they make two 90 degree angles instead of an acute and an obtuse one it'll fit like a charm. As far as air cooling goes the NT06 is your best bet.

I'll post pics of my build soon.

Edit:The gigabyte board doesnt like the corsair memory i'm using. I'm thinking a BIOS update might fix the issue. Does anyone know how to update the BIOS with a usb stick?

Edit: Ok I figured it out. Only certain USB ports on the back of the MOBO are recognized, not all of them. BIOS update fixed the issue.

Last edited:
Nice build trungerz, hows that 875k? Wish I coulda gotten one of those.

The 875K is an easy to chip to overclock. As many have said, all you do is change the multiplier. I believe the stock settings are 22x133 (2.93 ghz). I just disabled the turbo and moved the multiplier to 30x133 (3.99 ghz) and left everything else at auto. However, i may do some tweaks to the voltage. There are reviews about getting better performance by raising the BLCK vs the Multiplier, but that was only in certain applications.

When you overclock with the multiplier you overclock CPU only yo don't put extra stress on the rest of components.

BLCK overclock will yield an overall faster system clock-for-clock. But yes If extra Mhz is what you are looking for it can't get easier than multiplier overclocking.

Would be nice if the CPU's were binned accordingly though, cherry picked CPUs with lower VID. It's not, just regular i7 870s with unlocked multi. So it's the same gamble as ever, your mileage may vary.

I just finished putting in a 2nd 120mm fan for the push/pull intaking and blowing down on the motherboard.

Just a note - I was able to use two 120x25mm Noctua fans without taking the hard drive cage out or doing anything. Someone else also mentioned they needed to use a slim 120mm, but I don't see any issues. It's a little tight, but worked fine for me.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Just noticed how expensive this case actually is. 200 euros? Ugh. Too ugly to pay that much for :)

Just noticed how expensive this case actually is. 200 euros? Ugh. Too ugly to pay that much for :)
Take note that this case has the 180mm Penetrator fan and Custom 600W PSU, those are the reasons why its a bit expensive

Hopefully, Silverstone changes their mind and sell this case without a bundled PSU

Here is the inside look of my setup...

P1020585.jpg

P1020591.jpg

I don't see any difference between using my S-FLEX and the Penetrator with my H50, but I'm gonna observe the temps more

Take note that this case has the 180mm Penetrator fan and Custom 600W PSU, those are the reasons why its a bit expensive
I know, but it doesn't help in the sense that the PSU is way overkill for anything I'd do with a mITX computer. Combined with the not so great looks and "larger than necessary" size, it's not so appealing. Bah. Why couldn't they at least make a better looking front plate :p

I know, but it doesn't help in the sense that the PSU is way overkill for anything I'd do with a mITX computer. Combined with the not so great looks and "larger than necessary" size, it's not so appealing. Bah. Why couldn't they at least make a better looking front plate :p

I don't think they put a 600W unit in there for what you might do with it, but I understand that it might be helpful if they had a 450W option or no PSU option- granted the no PSU option isn't very useful when you have to find a smaller than average PSU to put in there.

600W fulfills the needs of a full power GPU- that being 300W, according to PCIe spec, a 125W CPU, a motherboard and memory, storage devices, and peripherals. Makes sense to me. If you don't need a full length and full power GPU, you do know that Silverstone has the SG-05/06 right?

trungerz - what sort of temps are you getting?

Here are the temps I'm currently seeing:

Multiplier - 30x133 = 36 idle, 65 load
Multiplier - 25x160 = 39 idle, 71 load

I'm still playing with the voltages, so I'm not entirely set with everything.

600w may be overkill for some, but I am utilizing every watt there. This allowed me to move from a mATX system, to a smaller and more compact mITX system as my main rig.

At Neoredz:

How is that set up working for you? i was debating doing the same just went with 2 antec speed 3's... do you notice over all more pressure in the system? pushing hot air out more noticeably then the smaller fans?

trungerz nice little rig u got there. could u list your specs pls?

Sure!

i7 - 875K
H50 Push/Pull
Gigabyte H55N-USB3
160GB Intel G2 SSD
4GB Corsair Dominator
LG Blu Ray Drive CT21N
Gigabyte 5970
Silverstone SG07 Windowed Version w/ stock 600 PSU

The only upgrade I may do is the move to 8gb of ram.

600w may be overkill for some, but I am utilizing every watt there. This allowed me to move from a mATX system, to a smaller and more compact mITX system as my main rig.

Of course some will use it. But the problem is that those who it is overkill for don't have the option of buying only the case. Of course there's a similar problem with buying the SG05/6 if you wanted to use it with the 450W PSU instead... but then SG05/6 is only half the price of the SG07.

Anyway, I suppose I don't mind in the end with this particular case, it seems unlikely I'll buy a SG07 even if I do end up building a mITX system, because I'd rather buy a case I like the looks of, especially at that price point.

At Neoredz:

How is that set up working for you? i was debating doing the same just went with 2 antec speed 3's... do you notice over all more pressure in the system? pushing hot air out more noticeably then the smaller fans?

Yes it pushes hot air out more than using 120mm fans, I cant feel anything going outside using my S-FLEX fans (when using 1 fan, not sure what happens if I use 2)

Here are my temps...

Using 1x S-FLEX F Fan...
withsflex.jpg

...and using the Air Penetrator
withairpenetrator.jpg

Neoredz, would you say that the penetrator is quieter/has a more pleasant sound profile than the S-Flex F?

Neoredz, would you say that the penetrator is quieter/has a more pleasant sound profile than the S-Flex F?

In terms of the sound profile, they are the same, I can't hear anything other than the fan of my video card.

But I like the penetrator more since it pushes a lot of air versus the s-flex.

In terms of the sound profile, they are the same, I can't hear anything other than the fan of my video card.

But I like the penetrator more since it pushes a lot of air versus the s-flex.

The only thing i was worried about is the larger center cone of the fan making a huge dead spot in the middle of the heatsink. but it might not matter as much... how did you end up mounting it so snug to the grill?

I just finished putting in a 2nd 120mm fan for the push/pull intaking and blowing down on the motherboard.

Just a note - I was able to use two 120x25mm Noctua fans without taking the hard drive cage out or doing anything.

Just so you know, i wasnt meaning get rid of the hard drive cage. just slide it in after you install the radiator. you are not using a 3.5 hard drive in your picture so the sata connector wasnt a problem.

Just so you know, i wasnt meaning get rid of the hard drive cage. just slide it in after you install the radiator. you are not using a 3.5 hard drive in your picture so the sata connector wasnt a problem.

I understand now! Thanks for the clarification.

The only thing i was worried about is the larger center cone of the fan making a huge dead spot in the middle of the heatsink. but it might not matter as much... how did you end up mounting it so snug to the grill?
The rad is not mounted to the fan, the reason why it is fitting the grill is that the tubes are pushing the rad upwards :D

I am still thinking of a way of how to mount it to the grill since I am planning to modify the tubes of my H50, I don't like the way the tubes are bent right now :(

I am thinking of modding it but still retain a closed-loop system like this...

Back