Silverstone SST-SX600-G 600w Gold SFX

Yep. Ordered mine from Newegg yesterday. It's been shipped already. Should have it early next week.

Same, and same.. middle of next week if I'm lucky.

EDIT: Just noticed, it's back in-stock at Newegg!

Last edited:
Got mine today from FrozenCPU. Definitely is quieter than the ST45SF-G V2.0 that was in my system. Loudest fan now is the slim 120mm fan mounted on the bottom of my M1. Plus the flat cables are pretty darn nice.

Argh, can't wait to get mine! I hate living in Europe when it comes to hardware product releases. Waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting...

I share your pain. I live in Norway and it was possible to reserve them yesterday so I ordered one. Today their guesstimate for delivery was updated to 18th of September. Not been having much luck with my hardware last few weeks. :)

I'm waiting for the SX500-LG as well, or a 300-450W SFX-L version to replace my ST45SF-G.

What about the SG13? Any news on that?

Are you waiting for the SFX-L versions in hopes that it is quieter than the SX600-G?

Same here, contacted a few shops (BE & NL) and they all indicate availability 2nd half of September.

I share your pain. I live in Norway and it was possible to reserve them yesterday so I ordered one. Today their guesstimate for delivery was updated to 18th of September. Not been having much luck with my hardware last few weeks. :)

I myself am waiting for the SX500-LG because it makes more sense for me: 500W is more than enough for my single high-end GPU and I consider a 120mm fan to be better (noise and displacement) than an 80mm one. Even though the 600W is roughly considered quiet, I just like the displacement the 500W will offer for my Ncase, helping me vent more warm air. I'm also hoping it will be a little cheaper.

I myself am waiting for the SX500-LG because it makes more sense for me: 500W is more than enough for my single high-end GPU and I consider a 120mm fan to be better (noise and displacement) than an 80mm one. Even though the 600W is roughly considered quiet, I just like the displacement the 500W will offer for my Ncase, helping me vent more warm air. I'm also hoping it will be a little cheaper.

The SX500-LG will just be longer, right? If that's the case then I may opt for one as well due to the fan itself. And yes, I'm also hoping it'll be cheaper because the 600W is expensive everything considered.

At the moment we know no date, which makes me think there is an issue they haven't forseen or the manufacturer has issues producing it (in enough quantities). It might be one month away, it might be next year. We don't know as long as Tony Ou doesn't confirm it.

You don't like yours?

I had to send my board back to asus i dont aspect to see it for 2 months, So i was going to upgrade to the Impact VII but thats a month away as well so i think ill be going with a X99 chipset instead so i can SLI.

The SFX-L wouldn't have made sense for me due to my Silverstone case basically being designed for an 80mm fan there. Still, the PSU is definitely far quieter than the 450W one. (I had a v1.1 model).

It also (again, no idea why) did fix my issue with noise over the speakers, so I'm very happy with the purchase.

That being said, after setting up a friend's EVGA Hadron (w 1U PSU), I'll never complain about these SFX ones ever again. ;) (To be fair, the Hadron one is defective at the moment and just going full blast the whole time).

Can i ask wher you ordered it from and what the price was? Also in Norway. I was under the impression that prices and avalability wasnt avalable here yet.

Can i ask wher you ordered it from and what the price was? Also in Norway. I was under the impression that prices and avalability wasnt avalable here yet.

Sure here you go.

http://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=2728106

Ordered from dustin along with a bunch of other stuff for the build. Called them to ask around and they said they ordered like eight. Might as well just order one if you're set on getting this. There's no telling how many the other stores order and dustin is a pretty cool store imo.

Amazon 600-Gs are shipping, just got my notification today and I'll have it Monday. Unfortunately, I leave town Monday for a week on a business trip :(

Amazon 600-Gs are shipping, just got my notification today and I'll have it Monday. Unfortunately, I leave town Monday for a week on a business trip :(

Got my shipping notification today too, should have my SX600-G tomorrow :)

Sure here you go.

http://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=2728106

Ordered from dustin along with a bunch of other stuff for the build. Called them to ask around and they said they ordered like eight. Might as well just order one if you're set on getting this. There's no telling how many the other stores order and dustin is a pretty cool store imo.

Thanks. Cant believe i didn't think of prisjakt/kelkoo. I've been browsing webshops blindly. I was in contact with komplett.no on friday. They confirmed they were planning to add both this and the fractal design kelvin coolers to stock, but han nothing on prices and avalability dates. My new M1 is still a month away though so i think I'll wait to hopefully get everything in one order. Price was my main concern but seems to be as expected compared to the 450. I have no experience with dustin.

Are you waiting for the SFX-L versions in hopes that it is quieter than the SX600-G?

Mainly the same reason as the others. I'm currently only using just over 200watts with my ST45SF-G and hopefully the lower wattage versions will be cheaper.

If they're taking this long does that mean its a new design and not just a tweaked enhance unit as in the existing SFX units? I originally thought the SFX-L would debut the same time as the SX600G.

Hi is anyone here who owns the SX600G experiencing coil whine?

I heard it the moment I powered up. The power supply is really wonderful looking;it's really small and the fan doesn't spin up.

But...the coil whine. The high pitch changes frequency with and without load but I can hear them all the same.
- I changed plug points.
- Added a 290x grahpics card. [It was running bare minimum onboard Intel 4600 at first]
- I ran it for 24 hours [To see if the sound goes away]

I still hear the coil whine...am I being too sensitive or is it just me?

Last edited:
If it is driving you nuts, return it. If you don't mind, leave it. It's not a sign of weakness or damage, it's just a component that is vibrating at a high frequency, which is often solved by a glob of hot glue (but breaks warranty obviously).

I still hear the coil whine...am I being too sensitive or is it just me?

You could give it a little time, and see if the whine gets quieter. This happened to me once; a psu gave off quite a bit of whine, but it got quieter with time and after a month or two it was completely gone.

You could give it a little time, and see if the whine gets quieter. This happened to me once; a psu gave off quite a bit of whine, but it got quieter with time and after a month or two it was completely gone.

Just don't wait past the return period from where you bought it.

Always apply for RMA when a PSU has coil whine. State your exact hardware. Often it can be fixed with some simple change of capacitors. This happened with the bronze ST45SF, there's a thread here in this forum about it.

Remember that they can't test all hardware before releasing. Fixes and revisions depend on feedback from users. Cause of the whine can be because of unexpected behaviour of other components.

Thanks Phuncz, backfeed, Synomenon, Wisk,

Yeah it's still within the 7 day exchange period so I was thinking of spending the effort and money to return it. [Will cost me about 10% of the PSU for a return trip] What if the retailer cannot hear it and insists that coil whine is acceptable. [this is like pixel problems with an LCD during the early days where they would do their darnedest to convince you to accept a few dead pixels]

I apologise for forgetting to list my components, silly me. That's one of the first things I should have done.

Case: Ncase M1 v2
MB: Asus H97i-Plus
CPU: i7 4790K -> Default cooler
GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X or default Intel 4600
RAM: Crucial VLP 2x8Gb [Thanks HardOCP friends, all of you convinced me VLP is the way to go. Love it]
FD: Samsung Evo
PSU: SX600G

Speed has been set at both default 4-4.4GHz or clocked up to 4.6GHz to see if there is any different by changing loads.

I understand that SStone had issues with the SFX 450 on specific Asus boards? But it didn't sound like coil whine issues.

CPU: i7 4790K -> Default cooler
javidan, this question deviates from your post a bit, but I noticed that the only cooling component you have listed here is the stock cooler on your CPU. I'm curious: is this enough to keep your whole rig cool? Are you using additional case fans etc. that you didn't list? Do you get adequate airflow?

I'm still trying to decide how I will cool mine. i5 2500K + GTX 570, but no plans to OC. If you can get by with the stock cooler, maybe I can, too.

javidan, this question deviates from your post a bit, but I noticed that the only cooling component you have listed here is the stock cooler on your CPU. I'm curious: is this enough to keep your whole rig cool? Are you using additional case fans etc. that you didn't list? Do you get adequate airflow?

I'm still trying to decide how I will cool mine. i5 2500K + GTX 570, but no plans to OC. If you can get by with the stock cooler, maybe I can, too.

There are two 12" fans at the bottom of the case. They may not help much since the GPU is so large it has blocked them in the entirety...I can switch them off in BIOS to see if it makes a difference.

No issues so far but if you want me to stress it with OCCP or Furmark I'd do it this evening.

I hadn't thought I'll have issues because heat is mostly generated when you start jacking up the voltage. The GPU is factory OCed so it's slightly higher but the CPU isn't. [LOL if you noted my motherboard...it's an H97, not a Z97, I can't even jack up the voltage for O/C]

I will be switching my CPU cooler to reduce the fan noise though, it is audible if I left it on for a while.

If you want stories about heat problems...my Gigabyte Brix Pro hits 100C and throttles even without stress testing. :eek: OCCP lets it hit 100 within 30 seconds or less.

To be more specific inchikiboze: I have a good feeling you'd have no problems. There are lots of really experienced posters here who know heaps...I'd take their words with more weight than mine if they disagreed.

Last edited:
Thanks Phuncz, backfeed, Synomenon, Wisk,

Yeah it's still within the 7 day exchange period so I was thinking of spending the effort and money to return it. [Will cost me about 10% of the PSU for a return trip] What if the retailer cannot hear it and insists that coil whine is acceptable. [this is like pixel problems with an LCD during the early days where they would do their darnedest to convince you to accept a few dead pixels]
Indeed, the chance is that they'll test for it (since you return it as "defective") and they'll most likely come to the conclusion that it doesn't happen on their test hardware.

So you could return it as a mis-buy ("urgh didn't know SFX doesn't fit my PC") and get it somewhere else or wait a while (30 days ?) to reorder. Unless you know they are not douchebags and generally won't be difficult to work with.

I'd certainly recommend contacting Silverstone and try to get them to fix it or get the store to exchange it with "no questions asked".

I apologise for forgetting to list my components, silly me. That's one of the first things I should have done.

I meant list your components on the RMA to Silverstone. Whether or not you return it to the vendor, or to Silverstone directly, it would be great if you contact Silverstone to let them know about the problem. Here's the link to the thread about the bronze 450W:

Hi everyone, I want to thank Patyrn and everyone here for patiently waiting for our test results. It took a while for us to locate the returned PSUs from the store that sold to Patyrn, test them in our US office, and then finally back here in Taiwan.

... (snip) ... Zotac Z68-ITX, ASUS Rampage II Gene ... (snip) ...

For those of you that are experiencing chirping noise from your ST45SF, please rest assure that this occurrence is not an indication of impending PSU failure. We have done tests with returned and new ST45SF units ... (snip) ... they were finally able to isolate the cause and come up with counter measures ... (snip) ... Unfortunately this type of replacement work is not suitable for users to perform by themselves. So if you are experiencing chirping noise with your ST45SF, we will offer to replace it with revised ST45SF ... (snip) ...

Always apply for RMA when a PSU has coil whine. State your exact hardware. Often it can be fixed with some simple change of capacitors. This happened with the bronze ST45SF, there's a thread here in this forum about it.

Remember that they can't test all hardware before releasing. Fixes and revisions depend on feedback from users. Cause of the whine can be because of unexpected behaviour of other components.

Some coil whine is normal not all PSU have the problem but some do and it doesn't affect the unit at all if i took a PSU back to a shop over here they wouldn't replace it because of a whine, Most PSU's get the problem when your GPU is under load but I've heard coil whine when a system has been running on idle as well.

Some coil whine is normal not all PSU have the problem but some do and it doesn't affect the unit at all if i took a PSU back to a shop over here they wouldn't replace it because of a whine, Most PSU's get the problem when your GPU is under load but I've heard coil whine when a system has been running on idle as well.

Sure it's "normal" and that's why it's important to let the manufacturer know, so they can fix it in a future release. That's how the ST45SF and ST45SF-G went through several versions each - user feedback helped to improve the units. If you just accept it, ignore it, have it replaced with another model, or only complain on a forum, then the manufacturer is none the wiser and cannot make improvements.

Same warranty and lower quality caps?

Is that the right comparison to make? Some of the capacitors are not favoured brands of the reviewer, does it really say something about warranty period when Silverstone has 3 years as standard? Maybe the caps selected by Silverstone/Enhance were due to design requirements, or after testing components from multiple suppliers, or maybe price would have been prohibitive, or other unknown reasons. The days of the capacitor plague are long over. I am inclined to take these judgements with a pinch of salt.

Mostly the review is postive. Testing shows better performance, higher efficiency than the ST45SF-G. Only the transient test is worrying - OverRated's surge protection will certainly be triggered. And of course the comments in the review about the noise of the fan when powered from 100V AC source. This noise is contrary to the experiences of JamboAU and CallumBolch, but then I guess it's because they have 230V mains in Australia.

Back