Silverstone ST45SF SFX 450w PSU

I see that the supply of it is still bad, I ordered in February after two months and finally reached the source, as well as the original source of 300W Sugo 05 is also this very quiet

Last edited:
I talked with Tony a few days ago about the PSU coming back to the US. He said they should arrive at retailers here around the 2nd week of July. Hope that helps you guys.

A little clarification to what James said.

It should arrive at the SilverStone California warehouse on or about the 1-2nd week in July which means retailers a few weeks later. This is the same time the SG07 will arrive (apparently on the same boat).

Holy crap that's a long wait...but thank you for the heads up.

A little clarification to what James said.

It should arrive at the SilverStone California warehouse on or about the 1-2nd week in July which means retailers a few weeks later. This is the same time the SG07 will arrive (apparently on the same boat).

Those who own this 450W PSU, is it quiet or silent? I have SG06 and it´t stock PSU is rather quiet but has very irritating buzzing/coil whine sound, always clearly audible, but tone changes a bit depending system load. Also GF9300-I-E seems have some noise coming from board if CPU stressed, like using IntelBurnTest. Does this 450W PSU have any buzzing, whine, fan rattle sounds or "trace amounts" from it´s electronics at 20%, 50%, 100% loads?

My system is: Q9550 + GF9300-I-E + 4GB DDR2 + Radeon 5850 + 1x3.5" Samsung 1TB HDD + 1 LG ODD.

No buzzing on both my SG05s with stock 300w PSU, no buzzing either on my 9300-D-E weird.

Your load is rather high though, a Q9550 and a 5850

Should I wait for this PSU( will it even arrive in Canada?) or stick with the default 300W for a i5 750/5850 OR upgrade to a seasonic 350W for 50 bucks?

It will work with the 300w, but it might not last, I would wait

Should I wait for this PSU( will it even arrive in Canada?) or stick with the default 300W for a i5 750/5850 OR upgrade to a seasonic 350W for 50 bucks?

Wait for the psu, it should be here in Canada in the next few months. FYI, the psu is listed on NCIX so I'm quite sure they will be getting them in stock.

Holy crap! They're listed in NZ. I'm fucking surprised. No stock though, till the 14th it seems.

Bleh, still expensive. I would totally buy one for one of my old mATX cases if it were cheaper.

I'm also waiting on a review to see how quiet it really is. The price is worth getting rid of the rat's nest of wires in my SFF system.

I'm also waiting on a review to see how quiet it really is. The price is worth getting rid of the rat's nest of wires in my SFF system.
I'd love to but you can probably guess massive site problems and a heavy work load at my real job as caused me to suspend reviews for a bit...booo.

Don't be amazed by this but it is basically the same as the SG05 standard PSU only with more juice and it is black with sleeved cables. The cables are sadly the same extreme length (could be cut in half!).

Quality, sound, and overall casing is EXACTLY the same. In fact, if you look inside the two you see it is very similar.

Hi,
from my experience I can say that the source is both at rest and stress in a very quiet, I tried to measure the consumption watts - DFI MI P55-T36, Intel i860(OC 3,3GHz), Gigabyte HD5850 OC(765/4000),1xSSD Intel, 2xHDD 2.5" WD Scorpio Black and Blue,1xSlim optical drive,3xFan, I measured the consumption in the rest of the whole assembly - 110W, VGA benchmark, and then where it made some 320W,in terms of cable at the source,are a little longer than would be needed but when the man can work, so you can make cable management and acceptable to the eye, see a gallery of works Silverstone Sugo.

http://opinena.rajce.idnes.cz/Silverstone_Sugo_Black_Box/

Has anyone here tried to remove the wires from the connectors off a Silverstone ST45SF 450W SFX PSU?
From my past experience with other PSU such as the Corsair TX and HX, and some no name ATX/SFX PSU, I had zero problem extracting the wires from the connectors.
And I do use the proper tool such as the Molex ATX Connector Removal Tool.
However with the ST45SF, I have tried using both the connector removal tool and staples to try, but the end result is spending over 4hrs but still not able to extract a SINGLE wire yet! and what is worse is that my finger was bleeding
anyone here has any tips or tricks on how to do it?
it seems like the end of the wire is bigger than the usual wires on other PSU too.
please help!

thanks a ton!

Question for whoever has opened up this PSU: Exactly how tall is it without the casing and fan?

the height from the base of the pcb to top the heatsink is roughly under 3.8-4cm (not more than 4cm) this is a rough estimate done by looking through the vent holes at the back with a ruler.

Does anyone know if this PSU would be too loud for an HTPC? I've seen several other people asking the same question throughout this thread, but no ones really answered it.

Does anyone know if this PSU would be too loud for an HTPC? I've seen several other people asking the same question throughout this thread, but no ones really answered it.

I think the issue is that people have different levels of noise tolerance and ambient noise.

However, if you are running light loads on this PSU it will not be that loud. I know when idling I am unable to hear the PSU fan, but when crunching at 100% with an i7 860 @ 3.25ghz it has that noticeable 80mm tone. It is not unbearable, but noticeable. Given that this would be for an HTPC, I would think your load at 100% would be a lot less than mine (like an i3 540?). I don't even think you would be running at 100% so the noise would be closer to my idle.

I think the issue is that people have different levels of noise tolerance and ambient noise.

However, if you are running light loads on this PSU it will not be that loud. I know when idling I am unable to hear the PSU fan, but when crunching at 100% with an i7 860 @ 3.25ghz it has that noticeable 80mm tone. It is not unbearable, but noticeable. Given that this would be for an HTPC, I would think your load at 100% would be a lot less than mine (like an i3 540?). I don't even think you would be running at 100% so the noise would be closer to my idle.

Thank you! I should have said what I'd be running in my original post. i5 760 @ stock (maybe 3.2-3.6Ghz if the noise isn't too bad), 9500GT, H50, 4GB memory, 2-3 HDDs, and a DVD drive. I may also run a single GTX 260 for some light gaming, but I that'll only be if I want to do some light gaming, in which case a little noise would be fine.

Last edited:
The ST45SF is a great psu for SFF cases like an SG03. However are Silverstone or others planning to make similar SFX supplies in larger capacities? eg 750W

the only was is up... I am pretty sure that larger capacities are coming our way, the question is when...but I have this psu as well as many others running a core i5 750 plus gtx 470 wif no problems.

The ST45SF is a great psu for SFF cases like an SG03. However are Silverstone or others planning to make similar SFX supplies in larger capacities? eg 750W

This is by now the leading SFX psu on the market, and SFF gaming is really a new thing, so ill guess some big competitor not Silverstone will try to make a bigger one, as seasonic or corsair.a 550W + would be great, its nice to have some head room even though the 450W really pulls a load :)

Thank you! I should have said what I'd be running in my original post. i5 760 @ stock (maybe 3.2-3.6Ghz if the noise isn't too bad), 9500GT, H50, 4GB memory, 2-3 HDDs, and a DVD drive. I may also run a single GTX 260 for some light gaming, but I that'll only be if I want to do some light gaming, in which case a little noise would be fine.

Honestly, when gaming on my system, my video cards fan is louder than the PSU fan. Depending on the case, the PSU may be louder on how it is set up. For example, I had the original 300W SFX psu in the sg06 with the fan facing the motherboard and the heatsink fan blowing down towards the motherboard there was a lot of turbulence. Flipping the PSU with with fan sucking air from the outside decreased my noise by a lot.

the only was is up... I am pretty sure that larger capacities are coming our way, the question is when...but I have this psu as well as many others running a core i5 750 plus gtx 470 wif no problems.

I think any higher than 450W will require a higher PSU rating like 80+ gold since heat will be a factor. But I think 450W in an SFX format is probably the better option for now since we are limited by the case size and heat. I think that the only better option would be having higher effeciency like 80+ gold.

This is by now the leading SFX psu on the market, and SFF gaming is really a new thing, so ill guess some big competitor not Silverstone will try to make a bigger one, as seasonic or corsair.a 550W + would be great, its nice to have some head room even though the 450W really pulls a load :)

Ideal SFX PSU for me...

450W, 80+ Gold and modular. Since it is 80+ gold the 80mm fan is not that big of a deal since it is efficient.

I say seasonic will make the first one...

I say seasonic will make the first one...

probably since their already in the sfx market. we have to say 500W+ and gold. 90%++ effective

Anny how, i fint the silverstone psu to have not to intellegent fan. at no load its way to high rpm.

probably since their already in the sfx market. we have to say 500W+ and gold. 90%++ effective

Anny how, i fint the silverstone psu to have not to intellegent fan. at no load its way to high rpm.

I agree. The fan can be quite fast depending on the load. It is just really the downside of having an 80mm slim fan and a small PSU housing.

Let's make seasonic aim higher! 80+ Platinum at the cost of an arm and a leg. :D

Back